205/45 17" tyres.....??

Jashper

Anyone gone up from the 205/40 ... to gain a bit of 'bounce' ??

reckon theres any rubbing / bodywork issues?

I have been using 215/40/17 from inception, running at 31psi allround, no problems or issues,, but this is a very tight fit and just allows for passengers etc..

Much more might need some small adjustments.. mine is also lowered by about 20ish mm more than the sports suspension as I have different shocks and springs..

I too have gone the 45 route to remove the 'crashiness' in the ride, it's not as good as when I had 50% 16" wheels but far better than the 40% without loosing the pin sharp handling, it does rub the offside wheel arch inner liner when loaded but that may be more to do with my earlier accident and the car being not quite reset right. I'm using 205x45x17 bridgestone R40 which have excellent rim protection, grip in the dry and wet seems good also, as to wear rates not been on long enough to assess, I paid £88 per corner fitted.

hi lads,

right the 02 plate 1.4di i just bought has the standard wheels on it but im for a set of 17" rs4 style ones, so....will i get away with 225/45/17?

if not...what tyres do you recommend....(standard version not sport)

cheers

gordy!:D

I'm running TOYO PROXES 205/45/ZR17 on Wider 7.5j ACE wheels and have had no problems. The sport models have 7j wheels so if mine are ok then the sport ones should be aswel.
Cheers

215/40 and 205/40

I'm up for new tyres on my A2 TDI Sport. I was considering fitting 215/40x17 to give beter wheel protection, and maybe a little more compliance - but mostly the former. (Currently running Pirelli PZero Nero 205/40 x 17).

My question is this: the fronts are ready to be changed now, but the rears have some more life in them - if I change the fronts to 215/40x17 and leave the rears until they are ready, will this mess up the ABS and ASR systems?

I'll go and read the manual, which I'm sure will say that this is not supported. Just wondered if anyone had tried this.

Othewise, it's stay with 205s, or go the 215 route and stick the rears on eBay!

Alan

215/40x17 and 205/45x17 tyre pics please

Does anyone have any A2s fitted with the above that has pics and experience of running?

Hi poppy1

I haven't fitted any diff tyre sizes due to the rolling circumference changes between the 2 tyre sizes you mentioned 215/40/17 are 1850mm, and 205/45/17 are 1875mm.

The standard tyres should be 205/40/17 1815mm.

I'm no tyre expert but i'm sure this will effect the speedo or gear ratio's, but if you are more interested in protecting you rims (mine are scuffed to......) then go for it

The Cir Fiq are based on one brand and it may vary

Last edited by a moderator:
Emm said:
Hi poppy1

I haven't fitted any diff tyre sizes due to the rolling circumference changes between the 2 tyre sizes you mentioned 215/40/17 are 1850mm, and 205/45/17 are 1875mm.

The standard tyres should be 205/40/17 1815mm.

I'm no tyre expert but i'm sure this will effect the speedo or gear ratio's, but if you are more interested in protecting you rims (mine are scuffed to......) then go for it

The Cir Fiq are based on one brand and it may vary
Changing mine has corrected the optomistic speedo to a more realistic speed as confirmed by GPS

Very interesting,

perhaps the standard 17" aren't a direct replacement for the smaller standard wheels and tyres (in terms of rolling circ)

or am i talking out of my ....... (as usual):)

Emm

Back