3L 1.4 Petrol??

A2Dreamer

A2OC Donor
Just averaged 61.3 MPG in my 1.4 Petrol - brim to brim on a long steady run.

Was driving like mother Teresa on tranquilisers to be fair - just need to eek another 30 odd MPG out of it and I'll be driving a petrol 3L 🤣 😂.

Not bad for a 23 year old car though. :)

Neither!

Just very steady 60 odd MPH (traffic largely moving at that speed anyway). Continental 175/65/15 tyres on pepperpots (speedo bang on!), rear seats out for lighter weight.

Drove through some atrocious weather on way back last night - down to 35 - 40 MPH on M6 Toll with around 1 - 2cm standing water on the road for about 30 miles. Could actually feel the drag of the water and extra power required! On E5 97 fuel.

Adding cruise control soon (experience with cars in past suggests better MPG with cruise).

Got some further weight saving and aerodynamic mods to do, then aiming for 65MPG :)

My 1.4 2003, showed 47.6 mpg the other week its the highest I`ve ever seen it after 10 years of ownership but, I did reset the counter at the start of the trip, so its not a true reading considering I do lots of short pops.

The most fuel efficient VAG petrol car, at least on paper, was the Lupo 1.4 FSI. It was only sold in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. It was VAG's first FSI and they possibly weren't too confident about its' reliability! Effectively a 5L petrol version of the Lupo 3L with an automated transmission etc. There used to be at least one in the UK.

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting @RAB

I've comfortably beaten that then!

I calculate that I need to get to a smidge over 94 mpg to get to 3L status. Think that might be stretching it a bit though 🤔

The best I've seen on German aggregate Spritmonitor (over a single tank) is around 71mpg (3.98L/100km). That's including mods for extra slipperyness though. https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/282023.html

My personal best was 4.08l/100km (69mpg) with an average of maybe 4.6l/100km (61mpg) in a BBY with barely any extras and seats etc. removed.
That's while doing only about 50-55 mph on 175 winter tires though, so I suspect if you even just lower speed some more, you should be able to achieve 70 mpg on that route in optimum conditions.

Unfortunately, I don't see these 25 year old engines doing regular 3,x l/100km (70-100mpg) like a modern Yaris etc., then again keeping ours on the road for that amount of years isn't too shabby either when it comes to overall emissions. :)

I also don't believe that anyone has ever transplanted a 1.4 petrol into a 3L chassis. Gotta wonder how that would fare in terms of consumption, considering how much engineering went into all the different 3L bits...

Hi @Seb_Gurkyh , that's really interesting. Do you have a link to the thread on the German forum?

I've been a bit light hearted with my comments on this, but it's actually something I'm really interested in. I used to run a first generation honda insight and the community used to do all sorts of things to improve mpg!

These included improved under trays, radiator blocks, hot air engine intake, Inflating tyres to a higher pressure, reduced weight etc!

100 plus mpg was not uncommon.

Your 69 mpg is impressive, and nice to hear that over 70 mpg is achievable!!

I do agree though, we're working with old technology and asking much more is probably just too much!

Sorry, but I'm not sure what thread you are referring to that I may have brought up?
I'm fairly certain there are some older general threads about aero mods, though I cannot find them right now and do not remember a thread by this specific driver (then again I only got involved in A2 stuff in 2016).

1st gen Insight is a super cool car, though seems to be made entirely of Unobtainium here these days, and if one shows up, it's priced higher than even the most expensive 2012-ish models o_O - don't even wanna know what part availability is like when even some A2 parts are already impossible to get.

A2 3L of course already has some of those "mods" from the factory with quite a few underbody pieces, the 145/80 tires and a plethora of weight savings.
I believe one of the regulars at the german meetups also has a considerable radiator block on his 3L.

Ah, sorry Seb, think I may have misunderstood.

When I followed your link to the spirit monitor page, it then had a link to the a2-freun.de site, but this is the general a2 page... I just assumed there was a thread somewhere on that site.

Not to worry though, I Google translated some of the bits on the spirit monitor page and found it was very similar to the comments I made on the insight!

The insight was a super cool beast, I actually had two, one broke down with a water leak, and I lost my storage for the other one and had to sell it quickly.

The one with the water leak, I never quite managed to get the time to fix it and sold it on as a project.

I deeply regret selling both of them now!! You're correct though, spares could be difficult. There's a guy here in the UK who's a wizard on the batteries and electronics though!!

Back