4 Seats into 5 Seater ?

66Beetle

A2OC Donor
Are the Rear Seats of the 5 Seater and 4 Seater interchangeable please ? i.e. if I buy a 5 Seater A2 can I take the Rear Bench Seat out and put 1 or 2 Rear Seats from a 4 Seater in ?

Only looking because our 120,000 Mile A2 1.4 SE Petrol is the only car we have that we can get my 88 year old Mother in and out of for the many Hospital Appointments at the moment. We need the A2 available here virtually all the time for now but the Clutch is starting to slip and I’ve just realised the Cam Belt(s) were last changed in January 2014 at 86,664 Miles, so the A2 is not going to be available here for probably a few days while the jobs get done. Obvious solution to me is to buy a fully functioning Spare A2.

Maybe could explain the seating a bit better : it takes 2 of us to get her in and out of the A2 but we have to take one of the 2 Rear Seats out to get the Wheelchair in the back, so we always need 3 Seats for Driver and 2 Passengers.

Ta,

Steve

Hi Steve I’ve heard that this is not possible as they all have different brackets I maybe wrong ? I’m sure someone will confirm soon :)

Are the Rear Seats of the 5 Seater and 4 Seater interchangeable please ? i.e. if I buy a 5 Seater A2 can I take the Rear Bench Seat out and put 1 or 2 Rear Seats from a 4 Seater in ?

Only looking because our 120,000 Mile A2 1.4 SE Petrol is the only car we have that we can get my 88 year old Mother in and out of for the many Hospital Appointments at the moment. We need the A2 available here virtually all the time for now but the Clutch is starting to slip and I’ve just realised the Cam Belt(s) were last changed in January 2014 at 86,664 Miles, so the A2 is not going to be available here for probably a few days while the jobs get done. Obvious solution to me is to buy a fully functioning Spare A2.

Maybe could explain the seating a bit better : it takes 2 of us to get her in and out of the A2 but we have to take one of the 2 Rear Seats out to get the Wheelchair in the back, so we always need 3 Seats for Driver and 2 Passengers.

Ta,

Steve
it's a no sorry

As above the seats are not interchangeable, but the 4 seater is much more common, so more chance of a cheap suitable vehicle. Know not the answer you want but could you borrow another car temporarily or even use taxis ( expensive ) while the clutch and belts are replaced?

We have other cars but, as I said, the A2 is the only car we have that does the job. Buying a Spare A2 would not be a problem. The problem is finding one !

Don't know what to suggest, I assume there is no way you can manage to get your mother into the front seat on any of your vehicles? There are always cars for sale, just depends on how far away they are and what spec / colour you are willing to have. Several on autotrader and even some here.

Might be cheaper to buy or hirer a wheelchair that goes into the boot. Last year we had a disabled visitor from abroad. After trying to hire one, in the end I bought a 2nd hand almost new Drive Enigma Self Propelled Lightweight Aluminium Folding Wheelchair with cushion and rucksack for £85 from a charity shop on ebay and afterwards sold it very quickly on gumtree for £90. Here's a weblink to a new one - note they come in different widths; I think the 17" wide seat is the most common. The wheels and the feet rests come off and the handles fold down. It went into the A2 boot including the rucksack and cushion. Takes just under a minute to reassemble.
https://www.nrshealthcare.co.uk/mob...ghtweight-aluminium-wheelchair-self-propelled £187 new without the ergonomic cushion and rucksack - I think they are about £20-£25 each.

Thank you. This is a folding wheelchair. Maybe I just need to try a bit harder to see if we can fit it in without removing or folding any of the rear seat ! Then our “ Spare A2 could be a 5 Seat or 4 Seat Model.

Back