4 wheel track

Gexx

Just about to change the tyres on the A2 - does the car need a 4 wheel track or would a 2 wheel be ok?

2 should be okay unless you have thumped the rear end on some potholes, be warned the A2 is very sensitive to suspension settings, the fools tracked mine last week when I had new tyres, not that I had asked them too, it's been like a greasy weasel ever since, just been back & made them change it, it was only a small amount out but what a difference!

Hi Gexx
Another opinion - Although more expensive, the advantages of going for a 4 wheel alignment is they do a full geometry check covering castor, camber and toe-in and adjust each wheel individually with reference to the centreline of the car.
With a 2 wheel set-up, they usually only check toe-in. Any adjustment is normally done on one side only which will correct the toe-in but can make the front wheels run out of true with the back ones.
If your tyres have worn evenly, the steering wheel is nicely centred and as tdiman said, you have not thumped anything recently, then your unlikely to need the check anyway.

Cheers Spike

Do a search in the archives first before touching it. Mine went up a total of about 12 times and it is still not correct. Best left alone!!!! Only have it checked if you really need to. Mine was done by an independent and after his 5 attempts failed I paid Audi £220 to not get it any better... Be warned.

It is always recommended to do 4 wheel alignment on the a2 as the rears are very susceptible to being knocked around a bit, in contrast to Gexx whenever i've had trouble with my tracking etc, i've had hitchin audi do it and they seem to get it right first time and only charge me 1.5hrs labour over the 2.5 all the other dealers around here do. Also when AMD changed my suspension they did a full 4 wheel alignment and got it spot on so i can vouch for them too

If you have really only done motorway/a road miles you shouldn't need the tracking done at all it's only when you get down to suspension/shock changing or hammering it down country lanes it really needs to be done

Back