!.4tdi EGR valve change.

imp999

I swapped out the noisy (Paarrrp) & leaky EGR valve for an Ebay one.
It was a hell of a job to do! Access was terrible.
Leak is fixed but there is still some noise from that area but reduced.
Ebay valve was poorly finished. There was flash around the bore reduction adjacent to the butterfly,
A dropped socket drew me to the next job - Inner CVJ boot.

For years I’ve been scratching my head when I read about EGR screw access issues. I never have a problem.
While preparing my replacement engine I realised the reason why. I took this off years ago and put it with my engine lifting tools.

IMG_0849.jpeg

I’ve been preparing an EGR for eBay. I think that flash is supposed to be there. Forms a seat for the anti shudder valve.

Edit I had a paarp noise. Turned out to be one of the valves under the scuttle. For some strange reason the addition of rubber washers made it quiet.

Comments relate to AMF engine.

Last edited:
I swapped out the noisy (Paarrrp) & leaky EGR valve for an Ebay one.
It was a hell of a job to do! Access was terrible.
Leak is fixed but there is still some noise from that area but reduced.
Ebay valve was poorly finished. There was flash around the bore reduction adjacent to the butterfly,
A dropped socket drew me to the next job - Inner CVJ boot.
I would say that it’s worth doing egr adaptation if you haven’t. I replaced the egr valve on my petrol over a year ago, and didn’t run adaption because I didn’t have VCDS at the time, however it turned out to be in part the cause of a long chain of engine codes and stuff, even though the engine ran fine.

Philward - Yep, that was a big ol' culprit!
What valves are you refering to for the noise? The ones on the LH side of the vehicle & connected to the EGR valve?

Indi - good call on the adaptation. Any hints would be appreciated as I am a VCDS novice.

Thanks!

@imp999 I assume you have a RH drive car. Look into the engine bay, on the right under the scuttle there are three valves. One of them is incredibly noisy if not isolated from the space frame.

Last edited:
Guys it is important when talking about sides of the car that you use the standard naming. From sitting in the drivers seat and looking out the windscreen all to the left is left, all to the right is right, all to the front is front and unsurprising all to the rear is rear. So when looking in the engine bay although you may be looking at something physically to your right it is indeed the LEFT and vice versa.

No throttle body adaptation on the AMF engine. Please do not confuse people.

Indi - good call on the adaptation. Any hints would be appreciated as I am a VCDS novice.
Looks like you don’t need to run adaption for the TDIs
No throttle body adaptation on the AMF engine.
On the petrols the EGR and throttle body are two separate adaptions, so I assumed the TDI would still need EGR adaption just no throttle adaption, but this doesn’t appear to be the case, sorry.

@Indi I wouldn't be too concerned, we diesel owners check these things. I certainly did.

I've been testing an AMF EGR this morning.

IMG_0825.JPG

Quite a simple thing the large diaphragm actuator operates the EGR plunger allowing exhaust gasses into the inlet manifold. The small black diaphragm actuator operates the anti-shudder valve. Vacuum is separately switched on to operate both.

IMG_0826.JPG

Back