5 dollar to drive 1000 miles, might just be the ticket for me

humps

A2OC Donor
Just caught this guy's blog, some of you probably came across it before
http://etischer.com/awdev/

in short, 01 Passat, 100 miles range on Li batteries, charges upto 14 miles per hour. Cost about $5/1000 miles in the US and the guy got his carpool lane sticker (one of the major reason for buying a Prius over there) too. It even has air conditioning and performance aren't bad either! The down side? It cost about $16k, the batteries are $12k alone.

Although I don't think I can put that many batteries in the A2 without filling up the boot. But 100 motorway miles range will last me for a whole week or more with regenerative braking for my totally town driving. UK is 230V so charging should be done overnight easily, with some mod to the house's feed. Overnight charging once a week, like pulling the wheelie bins out, cost pennies to drive around and should be zero road tax.

Nope it won't take you too far before anyone goes on about range and charging time. But I thought this is a rather impressive garage engineering project!

You really have to admire the ambition and quality of work for a home engineering project don't you!

I see the guy works for Tesla motors - wonder if he got the job because of this project?

Back