52 Plate - 1.6 FSI - 73k miles

leigh3po

A2OC Donor
Hi guys

Please advise what I can do to my little A2. I purchased it at the beginning of this year. I have had the cam belt and water pump changed along with a service. On starting the revs go really high and I can hear a clacking sound she then settles down and the revs tickover bumping up and down below 2k revs. In standing traffic she doesnt seem happy and seems to me to be missing. Having checked the forum I disconnected the battery for over two hours and also filled her up to the brim with £68.00 worth of Esso Super unleaded, but this does not seem to have cured the problem. Suggestions please.:eek:

Hi guys

Please advise what I can do to my little A2. I purchased it at the beginning of this year. I have had the cam belt and water pump changed along with a service. On starting the revs go really high and I can hear a clacking sound she then settles down and the revs tickover bumping up and down below 2k revs. In standing traffic she doesnt seem happy and seems to me to be missing. Having checked the forum I disconnected the battery for over two hours and also filled her up to the brim with £68.00 worth of Esso Super unleaded, but this does not seem to have cured the problem. Suggestions please.:eek:

The noise on starting sounds like the normal sound the FSI makes on starting. Sounds a bit like a diesel starting up.

My guess on the bumping revs would be an air leak. If the engine management light is not on then its not major so no need to panic but its worth getting fixed at some point. In order to know for sure you should take your car to a mechanic to run a diagnostic scan or find a friendly A2 member in your area with VAG com or similar to check it out.

I`ve never managed to put more than £60 of petrol in my 1.6. I`m guessing you filled up at a country station because these cars only have a 42L tank so thats £1.61L !!!!!!!

Change all spark plugs ( from audi dealer - bosh super something ) and all coil packs.
Then run a scan.
Even though there is no managment light on I think you'll see some misfires logged.
If coil packs and spark plugs wont help then come back here.

Back