60+ mpg Octavia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having got too close to a white van under J5 of the M6 a few days ago I have a pool car while the front wing of the Honda gets fixed. It is a "new" Octavia 2.0 TDi 140 Ambiente with 9k on the clock.

Initial impressions are that interior trim feels cheap - and the gear level feels awful. These are offset by the engine which is noisier than the Honda (but that may be a perception caused by the lower noise insulation) but it pulls like a train and goes like a bomb. Some wind noise around the drivers right ear (can't see which seal isn't sealing).

Plenty of space and boot is huge, easily swallowed several 3m lengths of plaster cove on Saturday morning.

On a quick trip to Bristol on Friday it averaged (trip computer figure) 60.2mpg and on a trundle to B&Q yesterday gave over 62mpg - who says the A2 is economical!!!!

Comparing it to a colleagus A3 on Friday it is largely the trim where the savings are made - interior door levers are chromed plastic rather than metal - giving it a downmarket feel but this is a very good car for the money, and compared to the A3 it is huge inside.

What I already miss from the Honda is the auto air con and cruise - I will never have another car without cruise!

It goes back on Thursday so I get something different if mine isn't fixed by then.

1.4 Petrol Special Edition, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys for SWMBO (Replaced a 2002 1.4 Petrol SE) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

Now if only we could get that 140bhp diesel engine in the A2... 0-60 in 7 seconds or something? hehehe

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack

iPAQ 4150 with TomTom+CoPilot bluetooth, rear cupholders, luggage net, fire extinguisher and floppy wiper

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

If I won the lottery I might try.

But then I would buy a Lambo as well!

1.4 Petrol Special Edition, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys for SWMBO (Replaced a 2002 1.4 Petrol SE) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

Swopped the Octavia for A 1.9 tdi Golf last Tuesday, 110 BHP version, and even with 70k on it it felt better than the Skoda, didn't go as well but economy was phenomenal.

The Honda arrived back this morning and I had to nip out at lunchtime - boy what a difference. I am spoilt rotten. The handling, ambience and noise levels are way better than either of the others - glad I didn't get a Skoda.

Ian,

I had the same experience with the Skoda myself a few weeks back. Had it as a loaner for 3 days.

Good Points;
Engine is excellent. Pulls very well indeed with very little turbo lag - I was very impressed

Bad Points;
Looks pants
Seats are uncomfortable
Speakers are awful - tried to listen to the Wimbledon Mens Final but it hurt our ears - all high frequency - no mid range bass
Its way too noisey
Feels dangerous when breaking from speed - very unstable

Having driven a few VW's and AUDI's in the past, this car didn't feel like it was from the same family to me.

Kaine

Kaine

We had a demonstrator 18 months ago (spec one down from the L&K) and from memory it had the same seats as the Passat and was comfortable, this one had different seats and was very lacking in support.

Radio is very complicated - you have to go through several menus to get to the bass/treble controls. Behinf the facade it is probably Blaupunkt or similar. Oddly enouth this one had a single CD in dash and a changer in the boot (standard fit).

At least they have done away with the "Octavia" badge from the middle of the dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back