A2 1.4 Headlights

Daz C

One of my headlights has popped and i was wondering are the bulbs standard bulbs or super brilliant white bulbs or what?

I know halfords offer a headlight bulb (code 477) for 8.99, the question is how do i know if it is a super bright bulb or a standard bulb.

Another question is what oil type should i put into this car(A2 1.4 SE year 2001)?

Last edited:
Headlight bulbs.

Hi Daz, there are two numbers you require for Headlights,
MAINBEAM are H3.
DIPPED BEAM H7.
I would try and buy the Xenon type,they give a bright white light with outer blue/ish area, best of luck, Alan.
ps,Dont fit 5w bulbs to side lights!will melt the concertina piece,
you can buy on ebay 4 led type bulbs, dont get so hot as standard 5watts
so are OK to use, even though they are 5 watts rated,Alan.

Hi Daz
Ref the attached chart, your A2 petrol should use any oils which meet the following VW Specs
Long Life Services - VW 50400, VW 50300
Std Services - VW 50400, VW 50101 or VW 50200.
Easiest to get hold of is Castrol Edge from Halfords or VW's own brand synthetic - Check the for sale section of the Forum for more details

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Yeah you can get the H7 bulbs from halfords and at the same time pick up the gold castrol bottle from halfords. About as cheap as you'll find. Dealer sells the same thing at similar price too. The 1L bottle fits in the audi oil pouch nicely.

spike said:
Hi Daz
Ref the attached chart, your A2 petrol should use any oils which meet the following VW Specs
Long Life Services - VW 50400, VW 50300
Std Services - VW 50400, VW 50101 or VW 50200.
Easiest to get hold of is Castrol Edge from Halfords or VW's own brand synthetic - Check the for sale section of the Forum for more details

Cheers Spike

I've just put 2 halfords brilliant bulbs in, £20 for 2. They are supposed to be 50% brighter and they are. They are super white with a tinge of blue.

Back