A2 1.4 tdi or A2 1.6 FSI

DV04RLU

A2OC Donor
Hi all
i posted the other day as I'm looking to update my smart car.
and would like to get another A2 but what from experience do you prefer?
A2 1.4 tdi or an A2 1.6Fsi.
Thanks

Key question is whether your planned application involves emissions zones?

I've two Tdis that work for my week-in-week-out daily uses and long distance drives for family visits, but I can't go into town in one from the end of next month. So our 1.4i will be used for that.

If you get a 1.6 - unless already fettled by someone here - plan on a proper overhaul to keep it running sweetly, and only use E5 / high octane premium petrol.

Hi all
i posted the other day as I'm looking to update my smart car.
and would like to get another A2 but what from experience do you prefer?
A2 1.4 tdi or an A2 1.6Fsi.
Thanks
As @Robin_Cox has said, the TDIs are not ulez compliant.
The FSIs are in my opinion the more fun to drive of the two, (but the TDIs can be remapped to similar power so maybe this evens the field) however the FSI is the least reliable of all the A2 engines, so unless you have money to future proof it, or enjoy a bit of a project car then maybe not the best option…

That being said my FSI is my favourite, it is the most refined engine in terms of noise and smoothness, and the extra umph is nice.

Fuel economy (as expected) is much better for the TDI being a diesel

Having owned a TDI 90 for a couple of years, and now the owner of an FSI, I can make some kind of comparison, although perhaps I haven’t had the FSI long enough to make a long term judgement. IMHO the only way the TDI 90 betters the FSI is as a long-legged motorway mile-muncher, especially if it has a 6 speed conversion like I latterly had on mine. Otherwise as a driving experience I think the FSI is superior in every way. Better performance in general (though you have to stir the gearbox a bit more that’s no hardship on mine), lighter more nimble handling, better ride (my FSI on 16s is comparable with my TDI on pepperpots), generally lower noise (perhaps above legal motorway speeds the FSI’s lower gearing means noise is slightly higher up there), and the noise it makes is quite characterful.

Having owned a TDI 90 for a couple of years, and now the owner of an FSI, I can make some kind of comparison, although perhaps I haven’t had the FSI long enough to make a long term judgement. IMHO the only way the TDI 90 betters the FSI is as a long-legged motorway mile-muncher, especially if it has a 6 speed conversion like I latterly had on mine. Otherwise as a driving experience I think the FSI is superior in every way. Better performance in general (though you have to stir the gearbox a bit more that’s no hardship on mine), lighter more nimble handling, better ride (my FSI on 16s is comparable with my TDI on pepperpots), generally lower noise (perhaps above legal motorway speeds the FSI’s lower gearing means noise is slightly higher up there), and the noise it makes is quite characterful.
Two other ways the 90 TDI is better is that it will do 50%+ more MPG and will ultimately do twice as many miles as the FSI. A major consideration in an older car.

I am inclined to agree with Malcyb.
I have a remapped Tdi75 with 6 speed MYP Gearbox, and its great fun.
However also have an FSI, with a standard gearbox, modified to 6 speed. Its really fun, and with the higher gear a great motorway cruiser, quiet n comfortable. It needs a rear Anti Roll Bar, which I have on my Tdi75, to stiffen the rear, and limit body roll on corners. When above 4000r/min the FSI sound beautiful.
Both run 17" rims.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Two other ways the 90 TDI is better is that it will do 50%+ more MPG and will ultimately do twice as many miles as the FSI. A major consideration in an older car.
Fair call 🙂. The OP asked “what experience you prefer” so I stuck to the driving enjoyment side of things and personally I’m unlikely to rack up an awful lot of miles in the FSi.

There are lots of TDis out there, and many are in good nick.
FSIs? Not many, only around 650 licensed in mainland UK. So, finding one is not easy, finding a good one is very hard.
I don't understand the idea of future proofing anything really, including an FSI. If it has a problem, get it fixed. If it's fault free, enjoy it. Short of buying loads of spares, (assuming you can find and afford them), what can you do?
Like all A2s, they are old cars.
Unlike other A2s the engine technology matches ethos the rest of the car. (Yes, I know, but my opinion is as valid as anyone else's).
It's daft to look more than a few years ahead, as far as old cars are concerned. Legislation will see old cars off, and ownership of older diesels will be first to suffer, older petrol cars won't be far behind.
You have to pay for it, drive it, enjoy it, and look after it. It's your car, you choose. Everyone on here, including many who have never owned an FSI, have an opinion. They are not you.
You are the only one to decide.
Don't blame us if you make the wrong choice either
Mac

Maybe see if there is a member(s) nearby who has an FSI and TDI you can test drive, as Mac has said ultimately it’s a case of opinion

Maybe see if there is a member(s) nearby who has an FSI and TDI you can test drive, as Mac has said ultimately it’s a case of opinion
Good shout.
I was looking for a tidy A2, and one popped up close to me. We went to look at it, it was very tidy. The seller took us out for a spirited test drive, it went well, so we bought it. I had been warned not to get an FSI, (complicated, flaps and things, get a TDi) by a well respected A2OC member, but it looked nice, and went well. That was five years ago.
Definitely no regrets.
Mac

Don't buy tdi if you are planing short journeys it will kill the engine eventually get Fsi instead. If you will regulary doing normal driving when the engine can get up to the temperature it's always better get tdi for it's cost. Cheaper tax and running cost wins it with tdi for me.

Don't buy tdi if you are planing short journeys it will kill the engine eventually get Fsi instead. If you will regulary doing normal driving when the engine can get up to the temperature it's always better get tdi for it's cost. Cheaper tax and running cost wins it with tdi for me.
For mainly short journeys i.e. round town, get a 1.4 petrol! That sort of usage will kill any engine, so don't let it be an FSI as you don't need the extra power in traffic, and they're prone to flap problems from carbon build-up already. Actually the diesels will still handle it the longest, but they'll never ever warm up and if your town gets a ULEZ they won't be welcome. Meanwhile short journeys on petrol engines corrodes exhaust systems as the condensation forms but the system doesn't get hot enough to evaporate it, so a stainless exhaust would be a distinct advantage.

This is a keeper
5+ owners, and only 5'ish months MoT doesn't inspire me with confidence. And with just 3 months warranty, maybe the seller doesn't have much confidence either.
No mention of cam belt etc, so that wants checking, and unless recently done, factor in £850'ish.
At anything close to the asking price, I'd want a 12 months MoT, and a couple of years of can belt life.
Does look nice though.
Mac.

Well I used to have a 1.6 FSI then moved to EU so could not get it insured here so have had to let it go. had to get a smart car pronto but it's a bit small now, and thought humm! what shall i get and keep looking at Audi A2, as my car was wonderful to drive, bit pricy but..

5+ owners, and only 5'ish months MoT doesn't inspire me with confidence. And with just 3 months warranty, maybe the seller doesn't have much confidence either.
No mention of cam belt etc, so that wants checking, and unless recently done, factor in £850'ish.
At anything close to the asking price, I'd want a 12 months MoT, and a couple of years of can belt life.
Does look nice though.
Mac.
that car looks amazing - and I'd snap your hand off but I am now based in the EU and would like a 'leftie' purely for the tolls - ;)

Back