A2 2002 AUA petrol 1.4 - Cutting out

Muso31

Hi all I have problems with an Audi a2 1.4 petrol AUA randomly cutting out and throwing lights such as the EPC light, and some which seem unrelated (Brake fluid, etc). Here’s the codes and what I make of them:

PO170 Fuel trim
PO135 Pump current open sensor and c2 sensor
P1178 Fuel sensor

Could this actually be related to the O2/lamda sensor? Am I on the right track? The car has had a pressure test and was ok, the engine itself is also fine.

Thanks in advance, let’s keep another A2 on the road :)

Last edited:
Could be related to the issues I'm seeing.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?30103-Engine-Cutting-Out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like the same problem except mine throws error codes. This used to happen once a year but now it's constant. The point at which it became a regular thing is when the car wouldn't start around 3 weeks ago, so I cleaned the earth behind the passenger side headlamp. This got the car started but made the error frequent. I'm narrowing it down to:

1. Faulty O2/lambda sensor - likely
2. Faulty crankshaft speed sensor - likely
3. An earthing problem - less likely
4. Battery problem - unlikely (battery has been tested)

Interested to see how you get on with the crankshaft sensor. Do you know how easy they are to fit? Are the lambda sensors an easy fit?

Thanks, hope you get things sorted

Take a look at my video and you will see my car throw some messages but if the trick with the earth helped (be sure it did by checking if it was corroded, if not it could have been a co-incidence) then you may have a different issue.

Skip to 2:05 for the first failure

[video=youtube_share;KsDqBTNKi7Q]https://youtu.be/KsDqBTNKi7Q[/video]

Take a look at my video and you will see my car throw some messages but if the trick with the earth helped (be sure it did by checking if it was corroded, if not it could have been a co-incidence) then you may have a different issue.

Skip to 2:05 for the first failure

[video=youtube_share;KsDqBTNKi7Q]https://youtu.be/KsDqBTNKi7Q[/video]

Hi that's a very similar problem except my car often cuts out also. Do you know what caused your issues? Have you got this fixed?

I removed the washer on the earth near the headlamp and replaced it with a new one. This got the car running again (as at one point it wouldn't even start) - but since doing this I'm seeing the lights almost every time I drive the car (previously once a year). The lights are the same as yours. Strange question but is a special type of washer required? The old one wasn't corroded but was fairly old

ps. out of interest does anybody know where to find the front lambda sensor?

In case it is not clear from the video. Every time I get the dashboard lights the car is cutting out aswell I am just coasting to somewhere to restart and test if it can be bump started - which it cannot. I've not fixed the problem yet but the car is throwing lambda sensor issues (although not an MOT faillure for some reason as the emissions are all ok) but will likely be replacing it this week.

I have these engine faults listed:

2 Faults Found:
17604 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heater Circuit: B1 S1
P1196 - 35-10 - Electrical Malfunction - Intermittent
16407 - Bank 2: Camshaft B (Exhaust)
P0023 - 35-10 - Position Actuator Malfunction - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0001

Just thought id add some input, I use to get the warning lights flashing up all the time, No Oil Light Though ! It Finally turned out to be the front 02 sensor the expensive one, seems it controls the fuel air mixture and because it could not make its mind up the A2 constantly trying to change mixtures "The ECU" then finally freaks out and has a hissy fit and flags up all the warnings, i will say also your engine sound , note sounds totally different to my 1.4 petrol. I will add this did not 100% fix my occasional stuttering and misfire on cylinder 2 , final cause was faulty injector as replaced the whole fuel rail and injectors and car runs like a dream now,

-Gary

MrBroons- Looks like the same problem. Do you know which of the two lamda sensors is the problem and if they're easy to locate? Interested to see how you get on. If you know where to order the part please let me know :)

Gary - thanks it's definitely looking like a lambda issue, whereabouts is the front one located?

Last edited:
if you look down at the front of the engine you will see the heat shield over the exhaust manifold , if you follow that down to the right side just under the cat youl see the 02 sensor

you need a special socket with a notch in it to undo the 02 sensor

basically i removed the exhaust heat shield , then removed the radiator fan , then cover the radiator with something so not to damage the fins, i used a small sheet of perspex, so if you slip undoing the 02 sensor u dont damage the rad as in a bit of an awkward place and not much room in there

-Gary

just thought id add disconnect the plug first as it takes for ever to unwind and perhaps spray it in advance with wd40 when the engines hot to soak into the threads as extremely tight i found

Last edited:
Great stuff thanks Gary

...edit I've ordered the parts but can't fit for a couple of weeks. Will keep you posted

Last edited:
Have an update which may help people diagnose their problems. I was told today that back in the day the Volvo's were one of the first manufacturers to use lambda sensors and apparently they would often break. So the mechanics used to simply unplug them. Obviously not a great idea long term but seems useful as I've just done the same and drove the car around the block a few times and the fault has disappeared. I'll have to drive it more to confirm this but it's looking like a way to diagnose issues. I've ordered a new sensor so will fit that and test it long term but hopefully that's useful to someone

Neil

Great news. The lambda sensor is getting replaced on mine today so high hopes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a quality pre cat lambda sensor (either NGK or Bosch) at the moment it is looking like £140 minimum! :(

An update on this one, I replaced the egr valve, throttle body, and pre cat lamda sensor. Have just ran VCDS and still have the following codes:

4 Faults Found:
18043 - Powertrain Data Bus
P1635 - 35-00 - Missing Message from A/C Controller
17524 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1 S1
P1116 - 35-00 - Open Circuit
17604 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heater Circuit: B1 S1
P1196 - 35-00 - Electrical Malfunction
17591 - Linear O2 Sensor; Reference Voltage
P1183 - 35-10 - Short to Plus - Intermittent

Any ideas??

Last edited:
Mine keeps cutting out too. nothing seems to particularly cause it. i would say it probably happens at idle more than any other time though. throws me a P0130. does anybody know which o2 sensor this refers to? or do i need VCDS rather than generic OBD to tell? the guy i bought it off told me it has had a new o2 sensor, but i didnt know this car had two at the time so i have no idea which one it was.. sorry i cant be of more help.

I think P0130 is your front or 'pre cat' lambda sensor. A bit tricky to get to but easy enough to replace

I think P0130 is your front or 'pre cat' lambda sensor. A bit tricky to get to but easy enough to replace

sorry missed your reply! hadnt turned on my thread notifications.

cheers i will have a lookie in elsa how to get to it and see how it looks. vcds on the way now (well, cheapie cable and vcds lite regged) so hopefully ill be able to know for sure soon enough.

Back