A2 didn't start

EWA2

Morning all,

I've had my A2 Diesel for about 6/7 months now. Recently passed MOT (Friday) so was surprised to find it wouldn't start this morning. I thought it was due to the cold but after the AA came to check it out, turns out I need a new battery. The full service on the vehicle and the MOT don't look at the battery.
I've now taken it to my local mechanic to sort a replacement but I'm wondering what sort of money I should expect to part with. I don't do long drives but I drive frequently, so I need something reliable.

Advice and guidance appreciated - especially if anyone knows how I can check my battery health rather than waiting for it to not start again!

Good morning.

A new battery might be £60-£90 depending on what the garage puts in I would guess.

I bought one from the recommendations on here from Varta and it was £80 I think.

A good test for a battery is only possible under heavy load. An easy way to DIY is to put on your headlights and try to start the car and see how much the headlights dim. You can also use a voltmeter instead and see if the battery voltage drops below 10v while cranking.

My original battery lasted until last year (19 years old) and it was user error that killed it. Something drained the power too low.

It’s maybe worth checking to see if there is a parasitic drain somewhere on the car which has flattened the battery so badly.

If the worst that we need is a new battery once every 20 years we are doing pretty okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest you ask your mechanic to check the engine earth before changing the battery, this is a well-known issue with the A2.
There's some details in this post:

You can use a voltmeter that you plug into the cigarette lighter socket. You can get them from China on ebay for about £3.55

or two for £5.51

or three for £7.50

or four for £9.34

I have one of these, and the display is big, clear, and easy to read. I've checked it against an accurate multimeter, and these give accurate voltage readings.

It's best to check the voltage after at least 12 hours since the engine was last run, to see what the voltage has dropped to. You don't want the voltage just after you have used the car because a bad battery's voltage will drop quite a bit after 12 hours of non-use.

If your battery's voltage has dropped to less than about 12.1V to 12.2V then that could indicate your battery has a bad cell.

A 12V battery is made up of 6 cells. A good cell will have just over 2V, so 6 times just over 2V equals just over 12V.

If you have been doing lots of short trips, perhaps less than 10 minutes each journey, then that can cause a drop in battery voltage. Hence, a lot of short trips and a low battery voltage won't necessarily mean a bad battery.

When I think I have a bad battery (usually when the battery is over 5 years old) I take it out of the car and charge it up with a slow battery charger. There's no need to charge it up fully, at least half full would be enough to identify a bad cell.

Then after charging the battery at least half full, wait at least 12 hours before measuring the battery's voltage off the car. If the battery's voltage is below 12.2V to 12.3V now, you know that you have a bad battery (as one of the cells will have gone bad).

You will often get advance warning of a bad battery. You should start to notice that the engine doesn't turn over as quick as normal. This is when you want to get your voltage meter out and start keeping a careful eye on the battery voltage.

Or you can confirm that the batttery has gone bad on the car, by disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery. Then charge the battery up to at least half full. Then after at least 12 hours, check the voltage with a multimeter. The purpose of disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery, is to prevent any drain on the car's battery from the car's electronics. Even with the ignition key turned off, the car's electronics can still cause a small drain on the car's battery (unless the negative terminal is disconnected).

Varta have a good reputation for car batteries.

Here's Varta's website so that you can use their battery finder tool:

It looks like Varta recommends either their 574012068 or 577400078 car battery for the Audi A2, with the 577400078 being the higher specification.

Here's a 577400078 on ebay:

Note the physical size which you can check against your existing car battery:

Width 175mm, Length 278mm, Height 190mm

Last edited:
Back