A2 Fuel consumption

Gexx

Hey Guys,

I've had my TDI 90 for about a year now - and I am slightly surprised about the mileage I am getting compared to the 'official' figures. Can we start a thread of peoples A2's and the mpg's they are getting please!

04 1.4Tdi (90)
Town-48mpg
Ex-54mpg
Avg-49mpg

Guess I must have a heavy foot or something

Hi, i seem to get about 62 to 65 MPG from my 1.4 TDI (75) 04, but i do drive like an old man!

Emm

I use the A2 for my 70 mile round trip commute. 80% motorway 75 mph and 20 town driving and I get 53 ish. With a very light foot and sub 60mph the best I got on the commute to work was 69.8 mpg (to be precise!)

Personally I think the economy of the A2 Tdi is over-egged. You can get silly mpg from most diesels if you drice them slowly enough!

The A2 seems to excel on B roads ambling along. In the summer when I first bought the car I drove with a very light foot from Fishguard to St Davids and the mpg was climbing past 74mpg by the time I got there. After that I thought sod it and enjoyed the nice twisting undulating road on the return trip. It really does handle well with the sports suspension and 17" wheels!

But real world driving doesn't seem to give anywhere near Audi's claim of 66mpg average.

I had a hire car last week - a Peugoet 407 136ps diesel, a big car, and making no attempt to drice economically (in fact booting it on several occassions) it still averaged 53 mpg over 200 miles!

I have had my TDI 90 for just uder a year too. In that time I have covered 7780 miles and my average mpg is 48.2. The best I've had on a tank is 52.2 mpg and the worst 42.7 (these figures calculated the old fashioned way, not using the on board computer which I find to be about 6% optimistic).
Have to admit I'm dissapointed by the economy given the official figures. Wouldn't say I have a heavy right foot - I try to be as smooth as possible. Most of my miles are on the motorway where I tend to drive at 80-85mph where conditions allow. Overall though, I still love the A2.

I get around 45 miles to the gallon out of my 1,4 petrol A2 well pleased with its fuel consumption. I do tend to drive at 55 mph and get into 5th gear by the time I am doing 45mph. I do trips round the town and longish trips to work every day. If I do a very long trip say 200 miles I get nearly 50 miles to the gallon. This is by far the best car I have driven for fuel ecomomy

Most of my driving is on B (country roads) with very little traffic so i don't have to keep up with other cars. but the cold weather and Air Con on to get it warm does kill the MPG. Also i only use shell fuel as i found the Tesco stuff wasn't giving me the same MPG. Eventhough i think its only the additives that are different.

Emm at last someone who has found that supermarket fuel gives less to the gallon. I have been saying this for years but nobody where I work believes me. My lad uses super unleaded fuel and he finds he can get an extra 2 days driving from his tank. Thats approx 100 miles but I am yet to use it as I think it may affect the engine management

I used to work for tesco years ago and the fuel is picked up at the same Depots. I believe (though i may be wrong) a Tesco lorry pulls in and gets fuel then a Shell lorry pulls in and gets fuel, but its the additives that make the difference, eventhough we are only talking 1 litre of additive to 4000 or 6000 compartment load of fuel, each lorry holds 4 or 6 compartments and then it depends on diesel storage. (this is all from memory) don't qoute me on these figures, i left Tesco years ago

I do think the major super store fuel is ok but just not as good as Shell. i don't seem to get the same pick up or economy

Last edited by a moderator:
1.4 TDI vs 1.2 TDI - Economy

94 k miles in my Silver Open Sky 1.4 TDI SE @ 58 mpg cumulative average, 09/01 to 09/5 - min av journey 35 miles, mainly Mway/A class roads, cruise 80 mph. Oil cons typically 1 ltr/7 k miles, service interval prompt always ran past 30 k. Full ASH Car for sale!

12 k miles in my new Black 1.2 TDI Tiptronic @ 87.8 mpg cumulative average, 09/05 to date - journey types as above, cruise 75 mph. NB: DIS set to instantaneous mpg definitely influences driving style and resultant fuel burn! Oil cons tbc - nil to date and still on dip stick. Service interval prompt currently suggests first due @32k

I have a TDi Sport and I average 49mpg most of the week as my drive to work is only about 3 miles. I have tried it out on long runs and it works out to be 62mpg! The official figures are always a little on the optimistic side for all cars, don't know why they bother really, especially when you drive like I do!!!!

Have any of you looked at your average speed? Mine over 3 years has always hovered around 28mph. See, not as mad as you think I am Dad....

I believe one of the main reasons for the "optimistic" official figures is that the tests are simulations done on rolling roads with no wind resistance etc. This is done to enable a standardised test to be used.

75TDI
Average journey about 7 miles to and from work. Partner occasionally does 70 mile round trip to Brighton or some such - not M-way.

Average mpg (brimmed tank method) 51mpg unless Auxilliary heater is in use then 46-48mpg.
Partner once got over 60mpg on a M-way run to Heathrow on the M25.

Usually 55mpg round town in summer driving like a nun I achieved 62mpg again round town mainly in the rush hour (and the kids were in school)
I have achieved the dizzy heights of 60mpg with a roof box all the camping gear for 2 weeks and full passenger load coming back from the Vendee to Stockport some 500mile (chanel not included)

TDi 75, only 6000 miles old. Almost all commuting into London from Surrey: 20 miles at "quite high" motorway speed, 12 miles in stop-start traffic. Average 51 mpg (measured properly).

For a given journey the A2 uses almost exactly half as much fuel as does the RS4. Which is pretty poor considering it only has 20% of the power ;-).

Cheers, Richard.

tdiman said:
driving like a nun I achieved 62mpg again round town mainly in the rush hour (and the kids were in school)
62 in town!!! You must have been taking it easy! I have tried to curb my enthusiasm, and still only get 52.....

TDi (90) averaged 60-65 mpg on my 45 mile commute to work 90% motorway. Using Shell Diesel Extra gave me about 3 mpg more.

i have seen 80mpg out of my 1.4 petrol on the way back from scotland but that was at 50-60mph as we had a ladie defender in our convoy, usually i get exactly 200miles out of a tank and she only drinks bp ultimate i like to think this partly accounts for why it is 110hp, i think AMD's fettling may have helped though :)

wow reading some of these posts I am getting around the same out of my 1.4 petrol as some of you are getting out of TDI's

I can't speak from a lot of experience since I've had my A2 (05) for just a few weeks. However, I have kept a record of miles covered and fuel used. The car has still only just done 7000 miles. I refuelled after my first 500 miles, still the tank low warning light had not come on and I put 33L in (BP stabdard diesel). The second refuel came at 480 miles, no warning light and 32L. I reckon this works out at about 68 mpg. The last fill was with BP Optimax and my impression is that I'm getting slightly better mpg (160 miles covered at 3/4 tank as opposed to 140 miles).

I have a relatively easy commute, 25 miles each way on A and B roads with a little stop-start driving thrown in. I 've had a 120 mile A road and motorway trip to London (70-80 mph cruising) plus London traffic driving and several trips with three adults in the car.

I try and drive smoothly but not excessively slow and have the impression were I to really concentrate then 70 plus mpg would be relatively easy in the 1.4Tdi. All in I'm pretty amazed by the effortless economy of the A2. We also have a Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi and this gives 52-55 mpg without much effort.

Back