A2 Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

maersk

[37]
OK, picked up my courtesey car this morning and.............
its an 04 A2 Sport.
Shiny black with very nice multi-spoke wheels and a depressing charcoal black-hole interior. Oh God, manual petrol.

Well tried starting it by standing on the brake and the gears would not engage.
Clutch you fool!
Funny how 30+ years of manual driving is forgotten over 6 months of DSG.
The 1.4 petrol is very difficult to get off the line smartly without revving the gonads off it. (But that could be the oil burning influence over the last 3 years)
Very quiet in the cruise and the brakes are as good as ever.
The suspension has definately been changed since my 2001 SE. This sport is much more compliant, even with the larger diameter wheels and tyres.
Fuel consumption on my drive using DIS is MORE than the 2 litre diesel.
Interesting.
The thick A pillar seems much more intrustive now than it did at first delivery.

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

LOL... had the misfortune of having a 1,4 petrol sport as a courtesy car once as well... I got slated on here for my views on the engine! LOL

But here it is for reference by new members (and specially prospective future owners!):

http://www.a2forum.net/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2551

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

Maersk, I have to agree with you on the smooth get off. With just me in the car, I can get away from stand still without too much fuzz. But with a few people, rev it to about 2k rpm before slowly releasing the clutch. Then you'll have a smoother get away. But but the time you have fully released the clutch with a smooth get away, its almost 3k rpm and can go straight to 3rd gear. That's what annoys me about the 1.4 petrol.

Fuel econ is no where near as Audi claims either. Climate control on, 50/50 London/Motorway@70mph driving gives me about 38 mpg. Doesn't improve much with climate control off either.

humps
1.4SE Cobalt Blue, Bose and leather

[37]
An interesting experience.
Anyone who has been on here for a while knows that I thought my little 'murphy' was a cracking car (TDI) with great pace, packaging and economy, but the revisit, today and tomorrow is interesting in that I still think it is a nice car, especially to look at in sport guise - it is a VERY attractive shape to my eye especially in Black (mine was silver and very pretty too but,) but..................................
The A3 is preferable, especially with DSG.
What price a run out A2 with 1.9 TDI DSG power and transmission!
Wow.
BUT the doors are still too short, the A pillars too wide and the seats too narrow (in Sport spec).
Plus the collection in sleet and cold temps had her indoors searching in vain for the heated seat switch! [2]

A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

Why the loan car?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

[24]
Rear dampers sounding like a rattle fest. Well known apparently - anyway fixed on this visit.
Beats A2 with new G box in first two weeks!
In love with A3 BUT i would be interested to try a TDI after this time.Petrol cost me £10 for 36 bhours.
On our dual carriageway, warm A2 petrol displayed 38.9 at a steady 70 on returnng with the 'beast' (A3 tdi dsg) on the same bit of road 65.8
QED.

I have to say thayt I am in love with the wheels. Multi spokes always do it for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back