A2 sluggish ?

Nikchick

Evening , after I purchased a 2002 plate 1.4 petrol
90k on clock
Full service history from a guy in Blackpool .
Car drove home great & has been a dream .untill yest when engine management light & brake pad lights came on & both flash !
Car is struggling do go over 35 mph !
I phoned audi dundee & they want £50 to do diagnostic test !
My cousin has a computer he uses on cars at his work so can possibly use him ?
Would really like some advice & help ???
Kind regards

Hi yes best thing is to get it scanned-your guy may get the codes. We generally use vagcom to get the error codes, dealers like to charge an arm and a leg for this simple service. Try to find a recommended independent garage-most will scan for free.
Common problems are blocked fuel filter(often never changed on a service by unscrupulous garages) But you say brake warning so it could be the old favourite the brake light switch.
Hope you get it sorted--welcome by the way Mike

Hi Nikchick,

You've already identified your first port of call - a scan.

Without the scan results everything engine related is guess work, as you obviously realise.

The bake pad wear indicator light might be on because the front pad thickness is low, or the cabling has become damaged or disconnected, however it is unlikely this is causing the car to perform poorly.

I'm not sure who is local to you with VCDS, but when you get the scan results, post the fault codes and I'm sure help assistance will be forthcoming.

If you do end up at a dealership, ensure you get at least a print out of the fault codes.
Some dealers are happy to provide the results on a usb pen drive, so if you have a spare one take it along just in case, or ask them to email the results to you.
This helps when posting the fault codes as you can copy/paste, removing the possibility of typo's.

Cheers

Jeff

ask star performance kirkcaldy if they can do a full scan for you.
They used to be good with vws/Audis but not used them lately

>>I phoned audi dundee & they want £50 to do diagnostic test !<<

That is a good value if they find the fault.

Last time the main dealer charged me £160 and did not even find the fault.

Morning , I had local garage put machine on car and its engine misfire , suspected coil pack . Does this sound right & is it exspensive part to source !
Regards

As per my previous reply, please post the scan results.

If the garage haven't provided the full scan results I'd go back and ask them either for a print out or the file as a soft copy.
You'll find the exact fault code listed, therefore there shouldn't be a "suspected" anything.

Cheers

Jeff

A faulty coil pack will normally make the car shudder and idle poorly. Other areas to look at are;
Spark plugs not expensive to replace and a quick visual inspection will give a lot of clues as to what is going on i.e. not firing, no fuel, earthing etc
Injector issue, Not sure how much they are on the petrol Audi but at 90k seems reasonable

If it's a misfire it's useful to know on which cylinder this will quickly let you know where to look, if's it's not on one in particular then you can start to look at fuel delivery, Electronics etc.

Good luck.

post the results here first. But it is quiet explicit for misfire, it will say which cylinder. For this specific fault, I suggest swapping the suspected faulty coil/plug with another cylinder then rescan to confirm the fault has moved to a different cylinder.

Back