A2 tdi London congestion charge 2008.

pamanal21

A2OC Donor
Hi all, I have told my daughter (Ruth) who drives 04 A2 tdi/ also lives & works in LONDON
about A2s being exempt from the daily 'congestion charge' ie;£8.00, from 8th Jan 08.
Ruth has just telephoned me, stating she has been in contact with 'Transport for London'
today ref the above subject, after being switched from one dept to another(half dozen times) it became obvious to her that the NUMPTIE'S employed there do not know their elbows from their assh--es, one guy stated it's all to do with(low emission zone) & diesel cars do not come into it!! another guy started going on about LPGas & articulated lorry's etc??.
Is there anyone on this site say (a True Londoner) who as attempted the above, or can anyone sort this out, for us A2 owners? any help would be appreciated on this subject, Thanks again in advance to all, over to you, Alan.
Ps, now you know why I'm like Victor Melldrew, enough said!

Congetion charge.

Hi ULP, As you said "QUIETLY" as a pin drop!! THE B--t--d's, "UP YOURS" to Mr.K.Livingston,
screw the lot I say,
Thanks ALAN.

and if you follow the transport for london (doesn't deserve capitals) link, you can get the governement emissions (there's a pun) link where you can look up the emissions for your car and Audi A2 isn't listed...what joy!

Well I hope so because that was a joke, changing it back. If they do it again we should all write a letter. to them

In practise, what this means for us is the following:

All petrol A2s, whether 1.4 or 1.6, will still have to pay the CC.

All A2s, registered before 1st March 2001, regardless of engine, will still have to pay the CC.

Any TDi 90 will be exempt from the CC.

All other diesels, whether 1.2 or 1.4 will have to check their registration document to see if EU4 applies to them. If it does, you will be exempt, otherwise, you will still be liable to the CC.

This only applies from 27th October 2008 (unless Ken changes his mind again).

Cheers,

Mike

All other diesels, whether 1.2 or 1.4 will have to check their registration document to see if EU4 applies to them. If it does, you will be exempt, otherwise, you will still be liable to the CC.

This only applies from 27th October 2008 (unless Ken changes his mind again).

Cheers,

Mike

Well, if the BBC article is to be believed, (and I have no reason to dispute this); judging by my registration document, I should be fortunate enough to be one of the lucky ones...

• [*]The £25 charge will apply to vehicles emitting more than 225 grams of CO2/km (g/km), as well as those registered before March 2001 which have engines larger than 3,000cc
    [*]Those vehicles getting a 100% discount will emit less than 120g/km.
    [*]Of cars currently being driven in the congestion charging zone, 17% would be liable for the £25 charge and just 2% for the total discount.
... my 2005 registration docket stating - CO2 119g/km

In my the skin of my... ...if you know what I mean. :D

Darren

You will qualify Darren , but not only because of your low emissions, but also by virtue of your car being EU4 compliant.

Wooly for instance will not qualify: his car still puts out less than 120g/km |Co2, but because it is an early example, it is EU3 compliant, so will not be exempt.

Cheers,

Mike

You will qualify Darren , but not only because of your low emissions, but also by virtue of your car being EU4 compliant.

Wooly for instance will not qualify: his car still puts out less than 120g/km |Co2, but because it is an early example, it is EU3 compliant, so will not be exempt.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the clarification Mike, (as always).

I thought that I had read it right, but you never know and it is seldom that anyone gets anything for 'free'; makes a nice change to be on the 'winning side' for once.

As a positive, I guess this could have a nice bonus on residual value for those cars that qualify though?! If I do ever sell, it will be privately to someone living in Central London then I guess... LOL!! :D

Darren

Oh well no worries i guess if i wanna go into London
ill give my mate daz a ring and get a lift in with him LOL !!!!

Are you sure that eu4 thing is still on the papers I read it on a number of places and it just lists cat a,b and under 120g exempt? im sure quite a lot of people dont know what eu4.

Do Euro4 compliant cars have this explicitly stated on their V5s? I only ask because we have a 2003MY 75 Diesel (Euro3) and the only stuff in the V5 are figures for CO,NOx,HC+NOx and particles. If people want to check these figures I've found a useful link

http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/ld.php

Its unfortunate that the only non compliance for our engine is that its HC+NOx is 0.351 and Euro 4 requirement is 0.3.

I know I should have done even more research before we bought it but it was our first diesel car. I do, however, wish to put some of the onus on the Government and to a lesser extent the dealers, that if there is to be legislation not soley based on CO2 figures then consumers ought to be educated to recognise the importance of the decisions that they are making. You only have to read through this thread to realise the confusion that reins even in people who have an interest in cars etc. I'm not saying I would have delayed our purchase but it would have been nice to have been in posession of all the facts.

If there were no plans based on Euro3,4,5,6 or whatever at the time then early adopters of low emission vehicles should not now be penalised given the emphasis put on CO2 emissions. The alternative is to look for a new car (polo bluemotion anyone!?!?) Haven't they twigged that the CO2 emissions from production far outways the C02 produced by their use?

I feel more sympathy for the truckers coming into london now that their emission charging has come in. These vehicles are road legal and should be able to go about their business as normal or be provided with financial assistance to buy new vehicles that the rest of the country can also enjoy. Which only leaves the question of what happens to the old ones? They end up in less developed countries churning out the same emissions as before.

ahhh rant over....

Which SE, Sport model other than the TDI90 is EU4. Year + ? ..

-
edit
- just noticed 2003 or newer. Is that correct

Are there any terms when this is introduced that they cannot just remove it in 1 years time. Does it have to run for a minimum time.

It could be when it is introduced the city will grind to halt and they will have to remove it. Who knows. I will wait to see how it goes over the months when it is in place before I buy a new one.

Last edited:
Although ours was registered late 2002 it is an 03 model year (as indicated by the "03" mid way through the VIN number) but it is still Euro3. If it is 2003 onward it must have been mid way through the model year cycle.

Cheers

Jonathan

Back