A2 v Mercedes A Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brunmeadows

Being about to take delivery of an A2, ordered 1 month ago, I am wondering why one sees so many more A Class on the roads than the A2. Having test driven both, I found the 1.4Tdi a far better and quieter drive than the 1.7 CDi A Class, better looking, and better leg room in the back for my 3 boys (13, 11 and 6) too. I do wonder if having 4 seats as standard, which is what the car mags usually publish, puts off many potential purchasers who want 5 seats and do not realise the bench seat is available as an extra at minimal cost. Or is it the lack of an auto gearbox (which nearly had my wife voting for the A Class)?

The family next door to us have just bought a second hand A Class, thay had a good look at mine and still chose the A Class, Stating it all came down to COST, they got a Y reg for about £6500 UK. I think X reg A2 are still going for about £9000 UK..

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Dolphin Grey,
Original Audi 6 CD Changer (Fitted in proper location by me)

Probably true about initial cost (2nd hand only mind) and car mag stuff. Auto should be out soon on 100bhp 1.4 TDi - as per my tiptronic on 1.2 TDi

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

We have a 1.4TDi SE on a '02' plate. We recently went to Mallorca for a cheapo week, we rented a Merc A Class A170 TDi.

In my week of driving 1200Km, I have to say... one word.... KAK!

We had a car full of people, there was no leg room in the back (or front), it sounds like a tractor, has the tin-e-est sounding boot ever... even though I think it's plastic, uncomfy seat, a dash that makes it look like an 80's toyota... why do people buy these?

When we landed at the airport home, and collected our A2 from the car park, everyone was really please to drive up to Sheffield in comfort, stylish dash, loads of room, fantastic dash/interior... hmmmmh heaven!!!

I even considered an A class before getting the A2, thank god I came to my senses.

Az

I seem to remeber 2 things that made me choose the A2 over the A Class.

1. The boots bigger.
2. The build quality, (The materials used are far superior I think).

Craig.

I considered the A class too. I never test drove one from a dealer as when I got to Woking Motors, I was told "you can't park there" by a large salesman pointing to the customer parking bays. When I asked where I should park he said "well we are really stacked out with cars, there isn't any where" I pointed out that unless you let customers in, you will not get rid of any of the cars!!! Then I promptly left. I did however drive one a while later.

Az hit the nail on the head, "Kak" It was plastic and poorly put together. The seats were wafer thin, really uncomfy after only a half hour drive! I think that they spent all the buget on the outside then had to go down the scrap yard for the interior!

Fi

2002 TDi Sport Cobalt Blue

Forgot to say, the A2, alot of money for a little car, but you get a lot of car for your money.

Fi

2002 TDi Sport Cobalt Blue

I drove a 170 CDI too.
+ :
engine
spare wheel under boot (I think it's full-sized)
- :
awkward sitting position
rear leg space

Both the A2 and the A-Class list a boot of 390 litres. In the A2, that's without the
space-saver/false boot floor. I think you should place the A2 1.4 TDi against a A 170 CDI LWB (Long Wheel Base),
to be able to compare engines and leg space. Check out the price on the latter...
Also, the A-class has undergone a facelift recently, and apparently now the interior finish is a lot better.

Cheers,
Werner

And what I think for us counts most is that the Merc A class has no style the A2 looks seem to be comming from another planet while the A class Merc is here in this part of the Netherlands is on every corner they even use it is a small taxi now here arround Alkmaar.
;)[8D]And if I want a taxi to drive in I phone the cab company :D[:p]

Jeff Huisman
2000 silver coloured A2 with some options :)

I suppose I must come clean, my last car was an A-Class 170 CDI Lwb!!.
I chose the Merc over an A2 because the A2 I tried at the time was a poor example, and put me off.I kept it for a year, but the temptation to try another A2 was too great, and succumbed in January!. Having owned both I have to say that the A2 is superior.
For me the minus points of the Merc were:- Noisy engine- it felt like you were actually sitting on top of it; Cramped driving position and high feet level; Cheap looking dash; cheap switchgear; oddments trays under the front seats would easily pull of their runners; poor radio ( which had to be removed every time you left the car); rear windscreen wiper had a mind of its own; noisy front wiper motor; almost impossible to do home servicing ( the sump drain plug is just about under the drivers backside); Not particularly nice to look at; Expensive.
Plus points;- No strange noises from dash!; Loads of room in the back; Very light rear door (plastic); Reasonably loud horn; Good after sales service.
I've read some very negative road tests of the A2 TDI,"Diesel Car" hardly had a good word to say about it- and generally speaking rate the A Class as better. I personally think the A2 is a much better car all round, and is very underrated. It's got loads of character and is fun to drive.
Regards John W. 2002 TDI SE.

Hi,

Last thursday I was involved in an accident. Nothing serious, some damage to my rearbumper. The car is being repaired as we speak, it'll take about two days.

But now they gave me an A class as a spare car. It's a A140 Petrol Elegance with an automatic gear.

I don't like the car one bit. It feels like a very small car on the inside. I think it's because the winscreen is very closeby. So is the sunscreen thingy, when it's down I keep hitting my head against it when turning.
The headroom is very poor, I have to sit back and stay back to keep my hair from brushing against the roof.
The view in the rearmirror is even worse than in the A2, the mirror is very close to my face and all I can see are three rear headrests.
The interior is not as nice as in the A2, but the cheap plastic wooden panels are really horrible.
The Aclass reminds me of the smart I once took for a little spin, the Aclass gives me the impression of being in an Aclass with a rearbench.

The handling of the car is normal, the engine is not so powerfull as my A2 but that's a Diesel. The automatic gear is nice to have. The suspension of the car is not so stiff as the A2.

All in all I prefer the A2.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I test drove an A class 170 CDI and the A2 TDI, I only had 20 mins in the A class and my wife and children (5 & 2.5) hated it, said the ride was poor and fidgety, although my wife was stuck between the childrens car seats, the salesman had to be with us and insisted in sitting in front! I have to agree on the previous comments regarding quality, comfort and style, I was dissapointed after the test drive. The A2 experience was however much better, the bring it back by 5pm testdrive was excellent, I was able to try it on most of my usual roads and I was very impressed. When my wife had been in it there was no comment (that's Good!) other than is this the one you'll get. On the whole the A2 has better looks both inside and out and feels better built.

Andrew - 2003 1.4 TDI Silver Climate

The A2 is nice but dont ever consider the 1.4 petrol version, its so pants its not funny, the lack of power is disgusting i floored the pedal in 3rd geat at 30mph and there was a 5 second delay and even then the power output was laughable, now the Tdi on the other hand, omg, jebus touched that car, it got just the right umph u floor it and u will know about it, power on demand thats the way i like it, too bad the power disapears when u reach 80mph (not to say i go that fast or anything[8)][8)])

1.4SE petrol 2001, Dark interior, Sat cloth, Brilliant Silver, 3 spoke Steering wheel, Rear electric windows and Panasonic MR555 stereo, Panasonic 8CD changer, 10 speakers (2 extra 13" 190 watt each.)

1.4TDiSE 2002, Biege interior, Brilliant Black, Concert II.

quote:Originally posted by FACtOR

The A2 is nice but dont ever consider the 1.4 petrol version

The mercedes A140 is just as powerfull (or not). The car is little but the rigid and solid construction make it to heavy for such a small engine.

But if I would do most of my traffic in towns I would prefer a petrol engine. I love the diesel don't get me wrong. But I think that the petrol has more souplesse and is more agile. Where the diesel is stronger but only above a certain amount of revs.
I had a petrol for seven days and it's slow on the highways but very good in the city !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I have to disagree with Factor about the 1.4 petrol being "pants". Being an owner of one I have to say that Ive not got any complaints about the power, when the accelerator is floored in 3rd gear the power is instant and the car shifts, plus the power is there right up to 100mph. Ive noticed though that the power is best between 2500 and 3500 revs.

Has anybody taken their A2 along to a track day?, it would be interesting to see how it copes.

2002, 1.4, azure blue, 2 tone leather, concert II single cd. Member of A2OC site.

Have to agree with you there Mal2002. It is a 1.4 petrol engine tuned for efficiency and refinement, not 0-60 times. We also, don't have any problems with the performance, with enough poke on the motorway to keep up with - and ocasionally pull away from - the flow.

1.4SE petrol in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

I also rate the 1.4 petrol over the diesel. I drove both, back to back, and found that although the Diesel had more grunt, it was just too noisy for me and made me feel like I was driving a bus. Admittedly the A2 does not accelerate like my A4, but it certainly picks up swiftly enough when you put your foot down. No complaints here! Just wish they'd do a 1.8T A2, now that would be nice :)

Audi A2 1.4SE
Build Wk40/2002 | OpenSky | Azure Blue | Climate | DIS | APS | Lumbar | Rear Drinks Holder

I would settle for a quattro version:)

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Dolphin Grey,
Original Audi 6 CD Changer (Fitted in proper location by me)

quote:Originally posted by deheld

But if I would do most of my traffic in towns I would prefer a petrol engine. I love the diesel don't get me wrong. But I think that the petrol has more souplesse and is more agile. Where the diesel is stronger but only above a certain amount of revs.
I had a petrol for seven days and it's slow on the highways but very good in the city !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I tend to disagree especially in the comment on the tdi being lacking in power at low revs if anything its vica versa, considering i own both a tdi and a petrol and i find the petrol toy like with its acceleration, agreeable it pulls quite nice at 80mph+ but below that u shouold be so damn lucky lol.

1.4SE petrol 2001, Dark interior, Sat cloth, Brilliant Silver, 3 spoke Steering wheel, Rear electric windows and Panasonic MR555 stereo, Panasonic 8CD changer, 10 speakers (2 extra 13" 190 watt each.)

1.4TDiSE 2002, Biege interior, Brilliant Black, Concert II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back