A2OC discount

John DNA

I've agreed with the A2OC to offer a discount for the forum, so this means you can now get your A2 tdi remapped for just £175, if anyone has any questions on remapping please don't hesitate to ask, I develop all my own tuning and can do anything custom on request.

Hi John,
Are you able to remap a TDI 90? What sort of power and torque would be seen after the remap?

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Sure you'll see around +30 bhp and +30 lbs/ft of torque on the 90 bhp A2

You can can get around +35 bhp.torque out of the 75 bhp version for anyone wondering.

Cheers

John

Hi again,

Where abouts are you located john?

Is it possible to post the ECU to be remapped if you are too far away?

Yeah I can do postal with ECU's no problem, some people are nervous about posting ECU's but to be honest if you pack it well there is no problem, they are tough little boxes to be fair, they have to be to withstand the rigours they can see on some cars! If someone is very far away and doesn't want to send there ECU or have any down time I also offer an OBD switchable solution at, this is more costly though, instructions here;

http://www.dnatuning.com/downloads/dna-srs-instructions.pdf

remap.

Hi john dna, anything going for the 1.4 petrol a2 version?? or will i still have to peddle it, Alan.

Hello John,

Whilst it's good to see people supporting the A2 in terms of performance upgrades, I'm somewhat concerned by your offer of 'postal upgrades' for A2 ECUs.

Whilst it is certainly possible to do the upgrade this way, you don't mention that on re-fitting the ECU, the owner will be confronted by many, many errors and warnings, caused by the disconnection of the battery and ECU. These are not clearable unless you have a full copy of VAG-COM, or similar.

I am also concerned that you offer a serial port option for the A2. This type of upgrade is just not possible for the A2 - the EEPROM must be physically removed and changed in all A2 ECUs.

For these reasons, I would urge any A2OC member contemplating using your services to also examine the other alternatives in the marketplace. Companies such as CCCTech and Stealth Racing offer solutions that are well proven for their quality and Stealth in particular are notable for having 5 A2s in their ownership!

Whilst I don't doubt your expertise, I'm not entirely happy with your comments so far on the subject and just wanted to point this out to other forum members.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure who told you that you cannot upgrade an A2 TDi via the serial port but they are very wrong.

The only error stored on an ECU after disconnection is battery voltage too low. this causes no problems whatsover and is ignored by the ECU, it's just a log.
With Postal on ECU's many companies do this such as APR, GIAC, Revo, Abt etc with the same knowledge of the voltage too low log. You can clear the fault on the bench with a dummy loom handily.

With the A2 TDi OBD programming is totally possible, Milford Micros programmer which we use does this, the EPROM is a AM29F400 and it's EDC15P/EDC15P+, hardly a tough one to program, Many OBD tools can do this;
http://www.cmdtec.it/prod_BDM_OBD.asp
http://www.optican.net/
http://www.byteshooter.de
even kwp2000 will do some of these

If you doubt my expertise I my past employers include APR and AmD and I currently work with Oettinger and also am the lead moderator on the checksumm.com forum which is a forum for tuners.

I write my own software as opposed to Stealth which were getting theirs from Geoff(ex AmD now living in Canada(good friend of mine and an ex employer and teacher)) and CCC who are an upsolute reseller.

Am I treading on some toes here? If so I do apologise. I don't have a huge marketing budget or give anyone any commision just giving a genuine service and with a sound knowledge in this industry.

I've had more than five girlfriends in the past but it doesn't mean I understood them. There's a huge difference between basic modifying and understanding hex code. I do nothing else than working with software tuning in the UK and abroad with other tuners in performance and fuel consumption testing.

I'm not sure what comments of mine you are unhappy with apart from the A2 tdi not being flashable via OBD which it is.

John, I certainly don't doubt your expertise and said as such in my previous post. I do stand by my comments however and I have answered your PM.

As an owner of A2OC and its Technical Director (believe me, I am not just a 'basic modifyer') I have the long-term benefit of my members at heart. We do not charge for membership and do not advertise as a rule.

My aim is to point out the proven alternatives on the market. Rather than make a £100 saving, I'm sure someone considering a re-map would be happier spending a little extra knowing that the person or company doing the work had their long-term happiness at heart too.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, there are only a couple of things I have to highlight, I'd certainly not recommend a customer flashing an eprom without having the correct software to check the validity of the checksum on the file.

I'm confused why you still stand against ECU's by post, all the leading ECU tuners also offer this service(Abt Sportsline, Revo, APR, GIAC, OEttinger, MTM.....). and the A2 tdi is programmable by OBD, I don't know who's told you that it's not?

Posting an ECU to have it re-mapped is a bad idea, end of. All that you will get by return of post is a standardised re-map, based on a generic set of figures which may or may not be the best for your particular car.

If you can afford to be without the car for the length of time it takes to turn this service around, then fine, but you might as well take the car to the tuner and have things set up properly on the rolling road and customised to your particular configuration. This is the best scenario unless you live hundreds of miles from the nearest tuner.

You will still be faced with errors on replacing the ECU (I know, I've experienced it) which will need to be cleared.

The mere fact that other tuning houses offer it doesn't mean to say that it is a good solution either. Any responsible tuner will take the application into account and assess the state of play before any work is done.

As regards OBD tuning, all I can say is that I have never seen it done for the A2 - in fact I have seen it fail twice!

In your PMs to me, you refer to plenty of VW models (especially Beetles) but no A2s. Have you done an A2 and if so, you could provide references to any potential customer (which I am not).

As I have said before, I only have the interest of my members at heart and that is why I urge them to look at all options. I am not telling people to go elsewhere for their tuning needs and it is welcome that you are offering a discount to A2 owners.

With the above in mind, I propose that this thread is now closed.

Cheers,

Mike

If you go to 99% of tuners you only get a generic remap. There are very few 'tuners' that actually edit the software and don't buy files from elsewhere either abroad or act as a retailer. As a retailer then the trader is rarely allowed to adjust any file unless it's with a system like revo with a switch. They don't give access to encrypted base code.

To properly setup a car on a rolling road it takes more than some simple datalogging, you'd need to hardwire an emulator such as an ols300 into the ecu. There are alot of myths in the tuning industry about custom mapping and it's needs. If you were to look into the metering in the EDC15 and ME7 systems you'd understand about base settings and the adaption. A well developed base map is going to be far better than a poorly developed and rushed custom map. This is why all the major VAG tuners do it this way.

I do offer custom tuning but only on heavily modified cars that require it and I have a license for using APR ECU explorer to do this.

Not sure what hardware you've seen fail twice but I can guess it was a kwp2000, you can't say it's impossible on the basis of one piece of hardware when all the leading chiptuning hardware manufacturers make hardware that does work.

Anyway if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask me via a message or pm on anything technical or eCU related

Perhaps one of the other tuning houses/experts that frequent these pages would care to comment.

I know that Stealth Racing and CCCTech are both registered forum users - over to you guys!

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
In your PMs to me, you refer to plenty of VW models (especially Beetles) but no A2s. Have you done an A2 and if so, you could provide references to any potential customer (which I am not).

As I have said before, I only have the interest of my members at heart and that is why I urge them to look at all options. I am not telling people to go elsewhere for their tuning needs and it is welcome that you are offering a discount to A2 owners.

John,

I speak with very limited technical knowledge here (which I suppose would apply to a decent proportion of those who use this forum) albeit with a rudimentary grasp of the above methodologies.

And while your offer is both welcomed and appealing, Mikes question is probably the key to this thread - have you tested your product/expertise on an A2 (any derivitive) and if so could you please provide references to that effect.

I am sure that many potential customers would be reassured that they were not being gineapigs, and that just as I have seen how the revo and mtm products grew in popularity with TT owners (I seem to recall these companies used their own test cars), demand may increase once the percieved element of risk is removed?

I hope with this post I am not speaking out of turn, Im merely putting forward my personal opinion . . . however I feel it may be one which is shared by many.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi, yeah I've remapped more than just a few A2's, there are no guineapigs here for sure, alot of my past customers are other tuners and main dealers. If you need a reference of anything I do here please feel free to email me. I work closely with many tuners, notably Autospeed Performance and European Performance labs in America, Bayside Performance in Australia and Milford Micros in UK/Canada, if you have any doubts please ask these guys about what I do here.

rktec said:
John,

I speak with very limited technical knowledge here (which I suppose would apply to a decent proportion of those who use this forum) albeit with a rudimentary grasp of the above methodologies.

And while your offer is both welcomed and appealing, Mikes question is probably the key to this thread - have you tested your product/expertise on an A2 (any derivitive) and if so could you please provide references to that effect.

I am sure that many potential customers would be reassured that they were not being gineapigs, and that just as I have seen how the revo and mtm products grew in popularity with TT owners (I seem to recall these companies used their own test cars), demand may increase once the percieved element of risk is removed?

I hope with this post I am not speaking out of turn, Im merely putting forward my personal opinion . . . however I feel it may be one which is shared by many.

Cheers,

Chris.
Chris being a smaller company doesn't mean I test my products any less in fact having worked in bigger companies I actually think I test my software alot more as it reflects more on me than just a company. The only trouble sometimes dealing with forums and in this industry is there alot of people who are very good at sales but have actually very little knowledge in real tuning, I recently helped with a project overseas, if you need a recommendation I think this is an adequate one;
http://www.autospeedperformance.com/audi/gt25R/GT25R.htm

Last edited:
That is clearly a fantastic reference John . . . and believe it or not (as I actually don't own an A2 yet but am working very hard on that point) I was actually trying to help you, by attempting to appease what I imagined the main misgivings might be from the majority here.

I hope you can appreciate my attempt at concilliation (however misguided) on what might have become a problematic thread?

Cheers,

This has been a most educational thread for myself. Its fascinating to get an insight into the inner workings of the engine tuning/remapping process... Often one only hear about things like rolling road and custom mapping but are not quite sure what exactly goes on... I have definitely been opened up a new perspective on engine re-mapping. I'm not saying that I would or wouldn't go for the option offered by John, but I can certainly make a more informed choice based on the knowledge this thread has revealed.

Back