A3 S line

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daveyjp

Visited my local dealer today to look at the new A4 and also see what ex demo A3s they have in. They had one ex demo 2.0 TDi S line with DSG (standard on this model) but it had sold within hours of it appearing on the forecourt, so no drive possible! The one in the showroom was up at £21,950 - this appears a good price to me. The car is Dolphin metallic and has heated front seats - both extras on list price.

The brochures barely mention the S line and there are no prices printed for it - I have been on the Audi site and it quotes well over £22k for this car.

With sport trim plus part leather seats, 18 inch alloys, heated seats and body kit is this a better option than the SE with DSG and cruise? I'm nervous of the larger alloys as the 17s on the Sport are supposed to give a harsher ride than the 16s on the SE - 18 inch with 40 profile tyres may be an inch too far!!

Anyone any opinions on the S line?

'Drive The Deal' do new A3s (3 or 5 door) with a few options for just over £20k.

PS they are getting back to me with a trade in for my mint condition 2002 A2 1.4TDi SE in Ebony black 26,600 miles - they had the same car in the showroom for £15,800, so the price they offer will be interesting.

Keep reading this term DSG. What does it actually stand for.
As you can probably guess, I'm new to Audi's.
Have been a Peugeot driver - Dont swear!

Direct Shift Gearbox - a gearbox with two clutches, when you change gear the other clutch engages on to the next gear which is already engaged. It means the benefits of an automatic but with very quick changes (0.2 secs) plus the bonus of the flexibility of a manual if required but with no clutch pedal.

Thanks for that. A few more months and I might even know what I'm talking about.

Fairbrother3202, don't bank on it. I still don't after 3 years of Audi A2 ownership, but this forum helps, there are some very knowledgeable people out there.

It's just as well, with numpties around like me!

daveyjp, the S line is a nice spec. I've driven the 2.0 TDI DSG Sport on 17's and the ride was firm but not choppy, like the A2. The stiffer set up is reassuring when pushing it a bit. I'd definitely drive the S line before commiting. With the extra touches I'd go for the S line, given the choice.

Was the (sold) demo S line dark metallic blue?

£21,950 is a good price but given it's in their showroom and the time of year, I'm sure if you haggle hard enough you could get it for nearer £21,000.

Shaf

1. Mar 2001 TDi 75 SE, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, winter pack.
2. Nov 2002 TDi 75 Sport, Silver,black/grey interior,climate.
3. Jun 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, wrong interior (black/black), climate, front fogs.
4. Sep 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, leather/alcantara, front fogs. HID Xenon's.

I am informed the S line was in Maritius Blue - quite a nice colour. Just seen the A3 in Piedmont Red and didn't like it. I could probably do a deal on the showroom car, but I need to drive an S line first! Watch this space.

Update - Drove a 3 door 2.0TDi Sport manual on Saturday - Thanks to Wakefield Audi who made me feel welcome and arranged the test drive with no fuss. Main reason for the drive was to experience the engine which delivered plenty of power and torque. The interior feels dated when compared to the Sportback, probably due to the steering wheel which is still the old style in the 3 door. The new square centred wheel is fitted in the Sportback. Gearbox is very smooth and a six speed manual isn't too bad - 5th from 40mph, so 6th would mainly be used on motorways and fast A roads. The ride on 17s and the stiffer suspension was OK on the motorway, but on urban streets it bounced around and potholes/sunken manhole covers were very noticeable - the wider tyres also resulted in an element of tramlining on worn surfaces. With 18s I don't feel this would improve. So at the moment I'm being led to the SE model - the car in Moro Blue caught my wife's eye!!

[37]
Be careful, the SE does ride the potholes better but it feels very fidgetty on a nice winding road. I am not sorry I bought the sport for that reason anything over 50 mph and you think - this is ok.
18's on a 'sline'can be harsh dependent on the tyres.
DSG is the way to go. The 6 speed manual is I believe slightly vague and notchy - added to this you have to stir the damn thing so often as the very nice engine spins around so quickly especially in the lower gears.
Take off is always in automatic pilot ('S') with hand flying following from 3rd upwards.
I will find it difficult, if not impossible to return to a manual.
Keep wrecking her indoors Saxo by standing on the brakes when starting and graunching 1st as I have forgotten to dip the clutch!
[8D]

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

Had a test drive of a 2.0TDi SE with DSG - Thanks Bradford Audi for sorting the drive out quickly and efficiently and also to Audi.co.uk for having their website stock list up to date! I saw it on the website and rang Bradford who said it had arrived earlier that morning from HQ and was being prepared.
Needless to say DSG is the way to go and the SE gave a much softer and less fidgety ride on the dodgy A and B roads we have. I would have been interested, but I didn't like the Piedmont Red colour! 8% discount on a new one was offered straight away but trade in figure for mine was very low as it would be a 12 week wait for a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back