About to take the plunge......

Ballacraine

Hello All!

This post is by way of an introduction and a request for informed hopefully unbiased feedback. ;)

A little background first.

We are a family of five. 2 adults and three kiddies aged from 8 to 12. Our current car is a facelift 2001 Merc A170 CDI LWB which I actually still quite like. Specifically the styling, praticality & economy. The reason I am considering moving on is because of the residual resale value and some concerns over build quality. By preference I am a motorcyclist, and have a car because it is practical, not for the questionable joys of driving :D.

I don't like large cars, but I still want comfort for all the family, build quality, practicality, economy & space. Too much to ask for?

Well, my research has led me to this as a first choice, subject to your confirmation that 3 people can be comfortably accomodated in the back.

2004 model onwards 1.4 TDI SE 90bhp.

Am I likely to be disappointed? :confused:

OK folks, any input would be most welcome.

TIA & TTFN

Nige. :cool:

My Sport has the bench seat in the back though to be honest I think your kids will find it a bit of a squeeze, especially with a 12 year old having growth spirts.
Like I say ours has a bench seat but to me that only means it has a lap belt in the center it doesnt mean that theres enough room for three!!--we only use ours as a two seater in the back.
(unless its the mother in law coming with us in which case I like to make her feel uncomfy:rolleyes:).
Welcome to the forum by the way.:)

Hello All!

This post is by way of an introduction and a request for informed hopefully unbiased feedback. ;)

Welcome

and you will not get an unbiased feedback here. we are all A2 crazy

If you are looking for a replacement for your merc 170 CDI LWB then its not the A2, I have owned and driven both and the merc is a nicer car, and has also more space specially on the back seat and boot (LWB does make a difference) and is more comfortable.

I cannot fault you for your choice as it is a good car, but not practical for what you are looking for, kids will grow up and an A2 will not grow with you, I would have a serious look at the Merc B class.

That is my 2C

don't know if this helps?

Tyre wear, if you're not a boy racer could be 50,000 miles on a set.

Tax is only £35 per year.

Ours has 135,000 miles on it, 02 reg, and still does 60 mpg, and has never missed a beat (touching head!)

I've driven the 90hp and ours is 75hp, the difference is quite a lot, I will get my chipped when I get back from hols. If you can get a 90, I would!

I've only driven merc A classes when only holiday, and personally I didn't like em! noisy, bouncy, and it felt smaller inside, but hey your choice.

Take the seat out of the A2 and you can get a washing machine stood upright in it.

Skipton (forum co-owner) can give sell you cruise control, with all the proper parts.

I could go on,

hth

bba

Your A class may be quicker in a straight line but when the corners arrive you wouldn't see which way an A2 went! as quoted from Autocar on a head to head test, the build quality is far better on the A2 as is the fuel consumption, I used to get 55mpg driving in and out of Manchester in the peak rush hour of nose to tail traffic, think 60mpg fully loaded with roof box, tent and associated paraphanelia and a ridiculous amount of beer and wine from the Vendee, 500 miles easily on less than 1 tank of 42 litres 60mph average speed, obviously that doesn't include the ferry bit ha ha!!

Last edited:
A few key points on this:

You can get 5 people in an A2 with the bench seat, I have taken four adults to Stansted (an hours journey) and although not what you'd call comfy, they fitted. If your kids are thin then you'll be fine, but if not then you might struggle; it's a shade narrower than tha A-klasse in there

Thin & short, thin & medium & thin & tall respectively! :)
Legroom - I am 6'4" and my wife (5'3") only just fits behind me whilst I sit comfortably - if you are as tall then rear legroom (upper-thigh as foot-space is fine) can be tight, especially as your kids will only grow.

I'm 5'7" and drive close in..Always bags of room behind me in the A170 LWB

Seatbelts - Andy's having a lap-belt (cheese wire) surprises me, I could have sworn his had a 3-pointer. Earlier Bench seats had a cheese wire but later ones, like mine, have a proper 3-point inertia-reel. Andy's is a late 2003 car so the change will have been in 2004.

The bench seat is not that common and if you need it (which you will) then I'm afraid compromising on specification and engine may be required. For what it's worth, you can succesfully remap a 75bhp TDI to get decent performance without it harming the economy.

Well, according to the research I have done, it looks as if I am going to need a 2004 model year onward, both from the 90bhp & 3 point seat belt issues.

If you want to try mine for size, then I'm in the Beds, Herts, Cambs area and more than willing to meet-up.

A very generous offer which is appreciated, but as implied by my avatar, I am in the Isle of Man, so I doubt I will have the opportunity to take you up on that kind offer.

Nige. :)

Last edited:
My Sport has the bench seat in the back though to be honest I think your kids will find it a bit of a squeeze, especially with a 12 year old having growth spirts.
Like I say ours has a bench seat but to me that only means it has a lap belt in the center it doesnt mean that theres enough room for three!!--we only use ours as a two seater in the back.
(unless its the mother in law coming with us in which case I like to make her feel uncomfy:rolleyes:).
Welcome to the forum by the way.:)

Thanks for the welcome & the info.

Do I detect an element of family politics coming out here. :D

Welcome

and you will not get an unbiased feedback here. we are all A2 crazy

If you are looking for a replacement for your merc 170 CDI LWB then its not the A2, I have owned and driven both and the merc is a nicer car, and has also more space specially on the back seat and boot (LWB does make a difference) and is more comfortable.

I cannot fault you for your choice as it is a good car, but not practical for what you are looking for, kids will grow up and an A2 will not grow with you, I would have a serious look at the Merc B class.

That is my 2C

Appreciate your feedback there.

TBH B Class too big for comfort for me, and I don't care for the current incarnation of the A Class :(

Your A class may be quicker in a straight line but when the corners arrive you wouldn't see which way an A2 went! as quoted from Autocar on a head to head test, the build quality is far better on the A2 as is the fuel consumption, I used to get 55mpg driving in and out of Manchester in the peak rush hour of nose to tail traffic, think 60mpg fully loaded with roof box, tent and associated paraphanelia and a ridiculous amount of beer and wine from the Vendee, 500 miles easily on less than 1 tank of 42 litres 60mph average speed, obviously that doesn't include the ferry bit ha ha!!

Useful comparisons there.

Thanks!

Hi Nige

This is one that meets your specification requirements:

http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=501673897#

This one doesn't mention the bench seat, but a cheeky-peak through the car tells me it has a centre rear hearest (and therefore bench) - it also doesn't mention it's an SE, but it is:

http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=501646729

Once again, this one doesn't mention it but a piccie paints a thousand words - 'only' a 75, but it looks nice:

http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=501676006

And yes, I do need to get out more...

Thanks for your efforts hunting out those links.

If I do take the plunge though, it makes sense to source one via a Manx dealer TBH. We have our own registration sytem and if he has to bring one in from 'across' he will be in a position to:
a) take my manx registered car in PX &
b) deal with the shipping & re-registration.

Cheers for the input!

Well it sounds like you made up your mind. Just leave one child at home :)

I've had no problem fitting in 4 adults though

I think I am going to be a lot wiser when I get to take a close look at one or two. I may even revisit the current A Class.

I'll not disappear off the face of the forum...I'll be sure to give an update.

Thanks for the input.

I hired the current A Class on a family holiday in Germany last year - nice comfortable car but the 'cabin' quality was pretty cheap and nasty.

The A2 has nice build quality - but to be honest, the ride quality is rubbish unless you change the dampers. Even then, my daughter claims that the rear (bench) seat is the most uncomfortable she has ever sat in.

The A Class (180CDI I think) was just as economical as my A2 (over the two week period).

Mike

The new A class is more roomy. I have no idea about the versatility of the loadspace as I did not look into it. It's true that removal of the A2 rear seat gives acres of space for carrying that large object (if you ever do).

I just got the impression that the A Class was a little cheap looking for what is presumably an expensive car.

Mike

Well, a step further along the road today...

I got to look close up at one for the first time.

I really like the apparent build quality.

Space in the back is not as generous as the LWB A Class, but then not many are. The main area that seems smaller is the shoulder/ head area. There seems to be some tapering going on in the sides as well as the roof.
TBH I cannot see that being a problem for the forseable future.

So I am actively on the lookout for a 2004 model year on 1.4TDI SE with a bench seat, & with whatever goodies I can get my hands on. :D

Are parking sensors common....If the rear view is not great they might help, I suppose? :confused:

Hi,
The A2 i got had parking sensors already fitted but i have never needed or used them and i have always thought they are a pointless expense on hatchbacks as the back of the car is generally just behind the back window anyway.
It would maybe help those who shoudnt even be allowed on the road i.e senile old farts and women who shouldnt have the vote never mind be in charge of a piece of machinery unless its in the kitchen.
Don.

Back