Accident damage to steering

sbchilton

Hi Guys

Skidded my 02 TDI sideways into a kerb this morning hitting the front wheel fairly hard :( 5-10 mph
I was able to drive it (barely) the remaining 1/2 mile to work. The steering was shaking all over the place and full right lock only moves the passenger side wheel about 10 degrees. Got a friend who runs a garage coming to fetch it home and look at the damage in the morning.

Anyone got any ideas if this is likely to be a repair or write-off?

Cheers

Sympathies.

I doubt it is a write-off if the impact speed you state is accurate. However, it will - I fear - involve painful big spends as is highly likely has impacted (literally) steering anciliaries and not just the wheel.

You'll have bent the suspension of at worst damaged the steering rack. I'd be surprised if it's more than a few hundred quid. If you've got protected no-claims then i'd give your insurance company a ring.

Sounds like a knackered track rod end to me, wifes polo did just that after I fitted new suspension to it, managed to damage the track rod when dissassembling it would seem, hopefully a new one and a quick tracking will sort it out

Thanks Guys

I have fully comp insurance with a £200 excess but I don't have protected no claims so I will get a better idea from my mechanic and decide from there!

Steering Rack

My mechanic has looked at it this evening and he seems to think it needs a new steering rack. Anyone any idea where I can get one, dunno if it is an exchange part??

Cheers - Scott:confused:

I hit a deep pothole hard,bent the wishbone and had to replace suspension part behind it.
everything else was ok.

asr flashed a few times after a few resets its been A1

total was £340

including alignment.

Havent included the knackered wheel as I put four pepperpots on for now

:cool:

I think that most of the replies to this thread have compared their damage (caused by potholes mainly), to the damage caused by sliding sideways into the kerb.

It is entirely possible that you do need a new steering rack, but I would seriously get a second opinion first.

Pothole damage will result from violent vertical movement of the wheel and so things like wishbones, track rods and even drive shafts can and will be damaged, but the transmission won't go any further than the damper.

In the type of accident as described by the OP, there has been violent lateral movement, as well as a vertical component too and it is the sideways movement that may have resulted in forces being transferred to the steering rack.

As I say though, get a second opinion, as they are not cheap (look at 4 figure repair bills!).

Cheers,

mike

Is it easy for a wheel centre (aligning) to find out if you have problems with your rods and things or should you ask at your local independant. If independant, can they easy see if you have bent, and damaged yours?

When we looked at the rack on full lock we could clearly see it has bent on the near side, everything else seemed ok. My mechanic seemed confident it will cost less than £500 to sort out but I guess we'll see.

The wheel that took the brunt of the accident looks a little bruised but is not buckled any ideas where i can find a replacement or would it be cheaper to have it refurbed? Its a 16" 6 spoke.

Cheers

Because it was the wheel that took the full impact I wouldn't recommend risking its reuse - no matter how sound it looks to the naked eye. Check out ebaY and here for a replacement while the car is off the road for repair.

Back