Advice with 17" wheel replacement?

Darren C

Admin Team
I am considering the replacement of my 175/60/15 inch rims with some after market 205/40/17’s and I was looking for some guidance with this.

I have reviewed some of the previous threads and it would seem that an offset, [ET], of 38 is necessary for 17” wheels to avoid fouling the bodywork? It would appear that this is also the offset supplied with the ‘sport’ 17’s; Is this correct?:confused:

I have seen a set of wheels that I quite like; however, their offset is only 35; will this cause me problems with body work rub or is an offset of 35-38 acceptable with this size wheel? [I do not intend to go for a wider than 7” wheel or tyre size greater than specified above and the 5 stud pattern that I have viewed will fit hubs 100-112].

The only other questions that I would appreciate advice with are do you think Mr Audi will try to invalidate any suspension / steering warranty on my ’05 plate, if I proceed with the purchase prior to the expiry of the warranty period? For those of you already sporting 17’s, despite the improved handling, is the ride as unbearable as some make out? [I have previously owned a ‘lowered’ Vauxhall Calibra with 205/45/17’s, so I have experience of the rubber band tyre; on this particular vehicle at least].

Any comments appreciated, even if it is don’t do it if you value your spinal column!

Many thanks in advance!!

Darren:cool:

Hi Darren,

I would steer clear (pun intended) of anything with an offset of less than 38, because even with the correct 17" wheels and tyres, they do tend to rub on compnents such as the inner arch and ABS sensors etc.

The issues about ride quality are correct - very firm, but also very chuckable. If I were you (and I did try this at the point of ordering my car) I'd stick with the 16" rims and put 205/45 R16 rubber on them (they do fit, see JimBobs car).

As for warranty, I'd say no - Audi will not try to get out of any warranty issues, as long as you use genuine Audi parts, but then my views on Audi have changed somewhat over the past 10 days! (See my posts on the steering faults I have at the moment).

Hope that is of some use to you.

Most of the cars i have owned have had some form of lowered suspension, but the combination of suspension, tyres, and stiffer seats all contribute to the Sport model being very hard.

On your SE model you may not find it too bad, i have had a few drives in the SE and the ride with original rims is much smoother, I can't see it changing anymore than you would expect from the lower profile. but its all a question of taste, and what you are prepaired to put up with long term

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to post a simular topic, I was looking around for a set of 17" 9 spoke replicas as I have a buckled alloy. They all seem to be 17" by 7.5" and not the 17" by 7" that the standard ones are.

My question was going to be will the extra 1/2 and inch cause any problems and how much variance from the standard offset can I have before I run into trouble?

alloys

Hi Mate,
I Just Put On 17 Alloys With 205 40 17 And The Do Not Catch On Anything They Are 7.5 Inches Wide[cant But Replicas Like Mine In 7 Inch Wide Only Audi Do This Size].
I Paid £435 All In Including Locking Wheel Nuts All Brand New Complete Ready To Go.
Cheers Mark

Do you know what offset they are and where are they from if you don't mind me asking!

Last edited:
People, be VERY VERY CAREFUL!!!!

I had a test ride in the poorly A2 today with the Workshop Manager of Smith Knight Fay, Stockport and at one point, when I was showing him the amount of left pull and juddering from my car, he asked what rims and tyres I had on.

Knowing why he was asking, I told him the truth, that I've the factory wheels and 205/40 R17 (standard) tyres, because I knew of the rubbing ABS cable issue , even with these, so there was no way I was going larger.

He admitted that he knew of this and that Audi had issued a technical bulletin about it (saying what, he wouldn't tell).

Don't change up, I think they'll pull you up if you try to claim any future warranty from them.

Skipton01 said:
People, be VERY VERY CAREFUL!!!!

I had a test ride in the poorly A2 today with the Workshop Manager of Smith Knight Fay, Stockport and at one point, when I was showing him the amount of left pull and juddering from my car, he asked what rims and tyres I had on.

Knowing why he was asking, I told him the truth, that I've the factory wheels and 205/40 R17 (standard) tyres, because I knew of the rubbing ABS cable issue , even with these, so there was no way I was going larger.

He admitted that he knew of this and that Audi had issued a technical bulletin about it (saying what, he wouldn't tell).

Don't change up, I think they'll pull you up if you try to claim any future warranty from them.

What did he say regarding the pulling to the left? I have had a complete tracking reset and mine still seems to (describe) like the car is following tracks or rutts in the road! Not sure what to do next.

Doc

Doc,

If your car is under warranty, get it to the dealers and get them to sort it. The workshop manager basically told me that most Audis are biased to the left, as we drive on the left(!?) but that he did think mine was a bit excessive.

That was before the steering went again!

Many thanks for your replies Guys, very informative and potentially worrying in light of Skiptons latest post.:eek:

I must admit, I may now reconsider my wheel upgrade as I would not wish to jeopardise any potential warranty claims myself.

I am a bit disappointed though, as I had hoped for better road holding from the wider tyre, but I can always live with the standard 175/60/15's, for now at least. The car was never intended to be modded anyway; but being part of this club and enjoying the car tremendously as I do, modding is hard to resist. [I have already upgraded and added, tastefully, to the vehicles interior].

Skipton,

Good luck with your car mate, hope that you get the steering fault rectified "permanently" and don't have to resort to selling the 'Tank'.;)

After much deliberation, I finally took the plunge and upgraded to a new set of 17” rims two weeks ago.

I am pleased to report that I am very happy with the improved road holding and looks of the car. (I have attempted to attach a photo – not sure if this will work though…:confused: ).

The standard ‘Special Edition’ suspension still manages to soak up the bumps sufficiently for me, whilst the 205/40/17’s have greatly increased the handling compared with the skinny tyres of the standard 175/60/15” wheels. Road noise and driving comfort has not been sacrificed; in fact on this score a think that both the 15’s and 17’s are almost on an equal par. (Perhaps a tad more road noise from the 17’s, although this is easily tolerable).:D

The wheels have been purchased from Wayside Audi – Milton Keynes, (Accessory Department), and I hope to at least have better support from them, as opposed to other after market suppliers, if things do go wrong.

So far, so good...;)

17" alloys

hi lads, i got aftermarket wheels from ebay (7.5j et 32) and they have 205/40/17's on them and fit fine with no rubbing and ride is still good!

best regards

gordy! (p.s. £199 new , :D delivered with audi centres!)

slightly confused!

Hi all,

I've read pretty much all the threads on this subject, but I still can't make up my mind.

I'm about to buy some A8 replica wheels. They are 17x7.5, ET35, 5 stud x100. They are to replace my standard SE wheels, which I believe are 16x6 ET35.
I intend to go for the 205/40 17 tye size.

I'm ok with the width and the rolling circumferance (not sure of spelling), BUT am I ok with the same offset on the replacement? Should I be making an allowance with the offset on the wider rim?

I realise this subject is nearly flogged to death, but I want to be sure before I go for it.

i just got some rs8 reps in the same as you said, 205/40/17, 35et 7.5". got no problems with them at all as of yet, no rubbing on anything, dont stick in or out too much at all just a good ride.
the tyres arnt even ruff with the standard suspention.

Cheers for the replies, Mike and rhyd4.

Rhyd4, your picture, although small, almost looks as though they're 18"s.

Using that calculator you supplied Mike, it appears that there will be a difference (as expected) and it's a matter of finding the lowest measurements. By keeping the same offset, it would seem that I extend 19mm either side, i.e. that amount reduced clearance and the same amount outwards.
With a 32mm offset, the inner clearance is reduced by 16mm (better) but the outer clearance is an extra 22mm.
With a 38mm offset the same measurements are returned but the other way around to the 32mm offset.

So as I'm attempting to fit a wheel that is 1.5" wider anyway (38.1mm), having an equal amount of gain either side seems the lesser of two evils.
Plus I doubt whether the aftermarket would give a wide choice of offsets. Ideally a 17x7 would be better, but in my searches no one makes the replica A8 wheel with that width.

Rhyd4, you say you're happy with the results. Have you had them long and do you notice any odd tyre wear so far? Would you be able to supply any pics closer up?

Cheers guys

only had them on about 3 weeks, i can get some photos tomorrow as the ones i got are all reduced and i cant get them back up.
i think its a hit or miss thing, a lot of others got aftermarket wheels with no probs and ive put aftermarket wheels on other cars with no probs.
you will find it hard to find any other offset or width than stated as i have looked.
go to www.rochfordtyres.co.uk for a wheel comparison, they say that the wheels i got from them fit my car so i went with this and has been ok upp to now.
i dont know wether the diffrent models of the A2 with diffrent suspention etc will make a diffrence to tyre and wheel selection.

I have some RS4 replicas being delivered tomorrow from Rochford Tyres, they are 17 by 7.5 ET35. I am buying them as I have three buckled originals!!! I will let you know if I have any problems with the change from 17 by 7 ET38!

same company!

Yes, I've been looking at the same company. Strange thing is, if you order the wheels without tyres it's cheaper on their website than it is on their ebay ad!
Redders and Rhyd4, did you order with tyres? If so what brand did they supply?

Cheers chaps.

I only noticed that last night, I ordered through ebay so it cost me an extra £10!! I have not ordered tyres as I am going to swap the ones that I have on my current alloys.

Back