After some repairs advice

mwh

Hello fellow A2ers

Recently had our silver bullet serviced and the garage picked up on a couple of faults which i'd like some advice on if anyones willing to give it !

1. Bush at the bottom of springs at the rear are needing replacement. please see the photo attached. Do you know the part number for these and how easy it would be to replace i.e. would i need one of those spring compressing thingys

View attachment 1482

2. Vehicle speed sensor implausable signal. keeps throwing a code occasionaly which stays on until it is reset. not really an issue but would be nice to know what it is.

3. Rear drum brakes squeeking. not fussed about the noise but would like to replace the shoes and drums as they are rusted like a ww2 tank thats been at the bottom of a river for 50 years.
Never replaced shoes before how hard can it be ?

4. A problem i would like to fix is when opening the front drivers door there is a crack which is comming from inside the door (the thing which holds the door in place when the door is open)

I have replaced the ARB with the updated VW Polo ones and that has worked a treat thanks to whoever posted the part number!

This is our second A2 I was on the forum originally in 2001 when i had my first one. We got this one last year and it has 90K and is running sweet apart from the above. it is a 1.4 petrol 2001 X Plate

Anyway any help / part numbers would be very helpful and much appreciated

All the best

Mark

#3. I get that as well. Not a problem for the last 2 years. Mine can be heard when I release the brake, but it doesn't squeek when I release the brakes with the hand brake on. The surface rust, can be rectified with a bit of sanding down and painting hammerite over the drum. Search the forums, many members did that with good results.

#4. Have a look at the Aluminum Fatigue thread, may be that's what you're after?

But #4 is the long metal stick reaching into the door which works as a brake for the door to let the door be open in 3 positions. You need to replace it and search the forum for replacing the rivets with screws. It is 20€ (but maybe 20 Brit. pounds in the UK?)

Door strap problem.

Hi MWH, Item 4, re your door strap problem, Ive had this and cured same, if you look into members names, ie mine (pamanal21) go down the list of threads ive posted, and on page 'two' you will find athread dated 13/09/2007 all the information is there, if you need any further info then email me or Pm me, glad to be of any help! the job is not to difficult to do, just if its your first attempt;take it slowly and all should be fine,
All the best, Alan.

thanks for the info chaps most helpfull

i think i'm going to have to brave the local audi dealer to get the bottom of the spring bush i've had a look on the online etka and cannot figure out the part number.

Back