Air con running too cold...

Brabazon

Turned the Air con down to about 18 the other day, but it when it got a bit too cold I turned it back up to my usual 22. But it kept running quite cold. Have to turn it up much higher just to get normal heat. Sometimes it blows hot, cold, hot, cold - like a thermostat is playing up or something... Any ideas what this could be, or how to go about sorting it...?

Jon

Hi Jon
The aircon is controlled by several pressure and temperature sensors. You really need a diagnostic scan to determine if any of these sensors are faulty.

Cheers Spike

Hi Jon
Was it sunny on the front windscreen? When the sun shines on the light sensor ("nipple") on top of the dash the air conditioning runs extra cold to compensate for the solar effect of glass warming up the interior. Personally I think it over compensates. I'm thinking of putting black tape over the nipple to see if it makes any difference. It should then use the normal interior air temperature sensor only.

I'm thinking of putting black tape over the nipple to see if it makes any difference. It should then use the normal interior air temperature sensor only.

Cheers guys.

I'll avoid making any comments about black tape on nipples... :D

You system isn't just air con, it's climate control. This means it will attempt to achieve the selected temperature at a central point within the cabin. The temp you select is NOT the temp air comes out of the vents at. If it's 25degrees outside, and the cars hot inside, it will continue to blow cold air until the cabin has reached an even temperature that you chose. Same is in winter you put it on 16degrees it may blow red hot air out!
This is normal and the best thing you can do is keep all windows and roof shut, set desired temp and leave it. After ten mins at most it should settle down. If the sun is strong it will again blow cold air where req'd to compensate. The nipple on the dash measures the sun's intensity and direction of heat acting on the car.
Leave the distribution on AUTO too and make sure NOT on ECON!

Hi Alan

I think there is a temp sensor built into the climate control panel, possibly behind the tiny grille above the digital display panel. Its not that simple though as there are also temp sensors in the centre dash panel vent and footwell vent to control the 3 temp flap servo motors which blend fresh, chilled and heated air for distribution round the cabin at the selected temp

Cheers Spike

The point where the system measures it's temp is indeed behine that small grill on the climate display panel. there is a small fan in there that draws air in, measures it's temp and quality. Good idea to get a small,very soft brush to clean this out as it can become clogged with dust. Lean down to it and listen to check if the fan's running. It is very quiet though so listen carefully! If fan running and free of dust I shouldn't worry about it!

My Air Con is still blowing too cold (will need to get it sorted soon - is it September already?), but today I noticed something new - even when the AirCon is switched off I can still hear the 'whirring' sound of the vents trying to redirect the air between the window and the floor etc.

I presume this whirring is normal as it's always done it in 'auto' mode. Never noticed it when the thing is switched off though...:confused:

Just a note, after talking to Mike (Skipton) after i had had some work done, he did a scan which brought up some codes to do with vent motors. He said this normal if you leave it in the AUTO position, anouther member had these same codes (alanm) and his local dealer wanted to replace the motors (all in £800 or there abouts). Anyway what i was getting to is every so often you should flick through the positions manualy (screen, middle and floor) so this frees them up and stops them sticking

Phil

Thanks Phil. £800! Yikes. :eek:

I think it was close to a grand, and he was just about to get it done aswell just noticed a post he made and was able to put him on to Mike who recalled my codes and compared them with what Alan had, so got him sorted, the power of this forum

Phil

Back