Air Curtain

4markowen

A2OC Donor
Just a thought, I've been looking into an air curtain for the catflap which is more of a cat hole thats letting cold air in and while trawling google came across how they're used on cars to improve drag. Knew of it anyway, but got me thinking of the A2.

They channel air from the bumper and out at the front edge of the wheel arch of the wheels, creating a barrier of air and lowering drag. So figured if anyone else had thought of it? Knowing the A2 is already pretty slippy, but would this make it more so?

Perhaps from where the fog light aperture is on the bumper?

Anyway, just a thought at present.

I don't suppose there are any 3D models of the A2 floating around?

A202952_blog.jpg

The A2 3L eco model (not sold in the UK with upto 100mpg) had aerofoils at the bottom of the wheel arches and other underbody modifications to decrease the drag co-efficient from 0.29 to 0.25. No "cat flaps" in the bumper though. Interesting engineering on the e-tron S.

I had wondered about this, but think it might be quite hard to route and fit a diffuser in front of the wheel arch liner. To get the best effect, you also need aerodynamic wheels which the air can slip past easily. Only the 3L's had smooth wheelcovers, although modern research suggests that "fan blade" style spoked alloys (as on latest Teslas) give good airflow across them. Interesting ideas.....

It's an interesting concept. A lot of current cars have improved aerodynamics from this. Even the Ford F-150 pickup utilises it.

When you get blasted with air as you go through shops and office's sliding or permanently open doors you're seeing the same effect, along with open fridges in shops use it to trap the cooler air in.

Would be tricky to adapt/retrofit though. But I'm curious as to how much improvement could be gleaned from from it. There's some pretty brick like cars out there these days using it.

Back