Alarm / immobiliser

tdiman

Past Member
I have just been asked after 2 1/2 years of ownership & insurance with the same company what immobiliser & alarm is fitted. I told them the standard Audi one that comes with the car! now they want to know what type & model it is? anybody got any ideas what they are on about? They seem to think it's as the car gets older it becomes more susceptable so will now need the aforementioned, the company concerned is Direct Line, at least the telephone operator sounded like she was in the UK!

God knows why they want to know that. Mine's through Zurich and I just said it's the factory standard.
The insurers should know all this. The manufacturers supply all this info when they decide on a group rating.

The Tank is insured through Direct Line and I've never been asked for this info.

Simply tell them it is an Audi factory-fitted alarm system, approved to Thatcham Cat.1 specifications.

If they want to know any more, tell them to phone Audi.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, I already have told them that, they want me to get written evidence of what alarm / immobiliser is fitted, Eggbert is going for a service tomorrow, I'll ask SKF if they can help. I even told them you can't buy an A2 without the alarm / immobiliser! The word w*nkers springs to mind, how can they ask this after insuring the car for 2 1/2 years?

crb1011 said:
change insurance company try norwich union direct got my vw with them
I don't know about 'quote me happy' nearly had a coronary when they quoted me, must be with living up north I suppose

I had this last october, I had a right ball ache off tele-sales, saying that they couldn't/wouldn't include the thatcham cat 1 alarm/immobiliser discount as there's not one been fitted.

No matter how many times i told the moron she just kept saying 'But it's factory fitted so it's not allowed'. I got that miffed off I wrote to them, oh by the way i'm insured by Marks and spencer, although it's through Zurich. The day they received the letter the day they rang to say they needed a certificate of installation, course I had no idea about any certificate and spoke to my local dealer who said there was no such thing as a certificate for it, as it's installed by default.

In the end I got Scott, one of the sales reps at Audi Lancaster to speak to the insurers and they allowed it straight away! Grrr....

Mike

Alarm question

I decided to test my alarm out the other day to check that it really does work.
So I sat inside and pressed the remote to lock and arm the alarm.
After waving my arms about for a bit there was a continuous beeping and the LED on top of the door started blinking.
Is THAT the alarm? There didn't seem to be any external siren, just a beeping sound coming from somewhere inside.
I've heard that the alarm is quiet but I can't believe that that was it- Is my alarm busted?

Nope - your alarm is fully functional and compliant with German noise regulations!

Yes, that's as loud as it gets. You can't even wire in another siren, because it's all controlled via CAN bus - believe me, I've tried it!

Cheers,

Mike

You wouldn't want to harm the bad guys hearing while breaking into your beloved A2, would you :)

Seriously, the factory alarm seems to be a joke. And now I realise why the insurance company asked for the alarm brand. They will probably raise the insurance for cars fitted with only the factory alarm since it is so quiet.

who takes any notice of a car alarm when it goes off anyway so many go off accidently have one around here and its very annoying when it goes off at 3am in the morning for no apprant reason. At least if the A2 alarm goes off nobody gets disturb

I had the same - installation certificate issue with my insurers last time round with our A6. From their website (Fortis through the Post Office) I chose the standard factory fit option and spent weeks trying to convince them that it was Cat1 but that I didn't have an installation certificate. I eventually faxed them the list from the Thatcham website of standard fit products and they went away. I'll post the link if I can find it again.

Cheers

Jonathan

jonathanlailey said:
I had the same - installation certificate issue with my insurers last time round with our A6. From their website (Fortis through the Post Office) I chose the standard factory fit option and spent weeks trying to convince them that it was Cat1 but that I didn't have an installation certificate. I eventually faxed them the list from the Thatcham website of standard fit products and they went away. I'll post the link if I can find it again.

Cheers

Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan, that would be great.

crb1011 said:
who takes any notice of a car alarm when it goes off anyway so many go off accidently have one around here and its very annoying when it goes off at 3am in the morning for no apprant reason. At least if the A2 alarm goes off nobody gets disturb

Well, I wouldn't install an alarm and expect anyone else to call the police once it goes off. The important thing is that I can hear it from my inside my house. There are also alarms with beepers available that tells you when the alarm is set off if you are too far away to hear it. It gives the opportunity to set the alarm to silent mode and hopefully have the police arrest the bad guys still at the crime scene. GPS transmitters are another feature nowadays, mostly used on more expensive vehicles like the A8.

Hi Tdiman

the link is

http:\\www.thatcham.org/security/pdfs/compliance

Its at 97 page document showing which cars have achieve which caterogry.

The A2 is listed in Chapter 4 - i think its page 6 or 7 - as being fitted with Cat 1 as standard.

I suggest you point them in that direction!

hope it helps

Jonathan

tdiman said:
Mike, I already have told them that, they want me to get written evidence of what alarm / immobiliser is fitted, Eggbert is going for a service tomorrow, I'll ask SKF if they can help. I even told them you can't buy an A2 without the alarm / immobiliser! The word w*nkers springs to mind, how can they ask this after insuring the car for 2 1/2 years?

Sorry to bring this up but I have the same problem, the insurance company want me send some kind of details on the security system

If I print out page one of this document?

http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdfs/categories/PassengerCarCAT1.pdf

Audi
Security System I

TC2 – 1169/0201 R T S U L

R S T U B I L

A2 (all models) Sep 00 – on

Any thing else I should send

Back