Alloys

Sacha968

Why am I just not understanding which size to upgrade to. I have the standard, but want to upgrade to 17in or 18in alloys with all year round. tyres. I’m scouring eBay/gumtree/facebay and I’m just getting more confused. My head is going to explode. I have about £400/max. Thx

Why change? Aren't your current wheels comfortable?

Audi supplied the 'sport' variant of the A2 with 17" wheels, and sets of these can often be found used for reasonable prices. But they have two significant problems. First, they're not the most comfortable ride, and second, they're very prone to buckling.

Any third party alloys will likely lead to a significant hike on your insurance.

18"? Forget it.

with 17's you want a 5x100 alloy preferably on a 7.5 inch wide rim and an offset of around ET35 with a 205/40/17 tyre.

With an 18 inch alloys it is likely to be 8 inch wide alloy and you would need an ET to be around 35 again but no lower. You would need 215/35/18 tyres on those.

Lots of variables to get your head around when changing to different wheels - PCD, offset, width, tyre sizes. Getting any alloys with all-season tyres in that budget would be unlikely though. The tyres alone would be more than that new, so if you can even find any with reasonable all-seasons already on, you aren't likely to get decent condition wheels for that money.

The easiest thing is go for the 17" RS4-style rims, as used on the A2 Sport model, along with other Audis. There are a couple of adverts on eBay for full sets with the correct size tyres for the A2, at the right end of the country for you to collect.

Horsham, includes centre caps, all tyres legal:

Glastonbury, no centre caps but two tyres are new:

As Steve_C said, be aware the rims of this style are a bit soft when it comes to hitting potholes. I believe the advert in Horsham is actually @Ami a member on here, if so you can trust him when the ad says there is no damage. I'd be inclined to cut a deal with him for those, and run them until the tyres they come with are all done, while saving for the all-seasons that you want.

Regarding the ride, that's an unfortunate fact of life on larger rim sizes. The tyre height (sidewall) has to be correspondingly smaller in order to maintain the rolling radius of the wheel as a whole, for which your car's speedo is designed. So the ride will be harsher as there is less flexible rubber to soak up the roughness of the road. The standard 16" size is the trade-off between better looks (17") and more comfort (15").

Why am I just not understanding which size to upgrade to. I have the standard, but want to upgrade to 17in or 18in alloys with all year round. tyres. I’m scouring eBay/gumtree/facebay and I’m just getting more confused. My head is going to explode. I have about £400/max. Thx
The standard 17" A2 sport wheels are 7j or 7" wide and wear 205/40 17 tyres.
If you go wider with a 7,5j rim, my recommendation would be to fit 215/40 tyres (10mm wider) to compensate for the extra 1/2" or 12.5mm extra rim width.
If you value your comfort at all then 18's aren't ideal as you have to go with rubber bands for tyres to get them to fit without rubbing.
You will need to make sure your suspension is fresh and in top condition then 17's can be ok and most problems and complaints arise from them being out of round with flat spots on the insides of the rims from potholes and people not knowing it and most often even if they look OK they aren't and the only way to tell for sure is to spin them up on a wheel balancer and see if the insides kick like a donkey ??

Lots of variables to get your head around when changing to different wheels - PCD, offset, width, tyre sizes. Getting any alloys with all-season tyres in that budget would be unlikely though. The tyres alone would be more than that new, so if you can even find any with reasonable all-seasons already on, you aren't likely to get decent condition wheels for that money.

The easiest thing is go for the 17" RS4-style rims, as used on the A2 Sport model, along with other Audis. There are a couple of adverts on eBay for full sets with the correct size tyres for the A2, at the right end of the country for you to collect.

Horsham, includes centre caps, all tyres legal:

Glastonbury, no centre caps but two tyres are new:

As Steve_C said, be aware the rims of this style are a bit soft when it comes to hitting potholes. I believe the advert in Horsham is actually @Ami a member on here, if so you can trust him when the ad says there is no damage. I'd be inclined to cut a deal with him for those, and run them until the tyres they come with are all done, while saving for the all-seasons that you want.

Regarding the ride, that's an unfortunate fact of life on larger rim sizes. The tyre height (sidewall) has to be correspondingly smaller in order to maintain the rolling radius of the wheel as a whole, for which your car's speedo is designed. So the ride will be harsher as there is less flexible rubber to soak up the roughness of the road. The standard 16" size is the trade-off between better looks (17") and more comfort (15").
You are right Ian, they are mine, I have probably sold at least 5 sets of these & have order to refurbish 3 more sets, will never sell anything that is damaged, buckled or cracked to any one.
Cheers,
Ami

The last photo in this ad that @Proghound listed above is a perfect example to everyone of what to look out for and be aware of.
If you look closely at the bottom right wheel, between the 8 and 9 o'clock position you will see the wheel is completely out of round which will cause a horrific ride.
More subtle defects aren't so easily visible but will have similar effects so be careful and always check the insides of wheels as that is where most damage will occur?

The last photo in this ad that @Proghound listed above is a perfect example to everyone of what to look out for and be aware of.
If you look closely at the bottom right wheel, between the 8 and 9 o'clock position you will see the wheel is completely out of round which will cause a horrific ride.
More subtle defects aren't so easily visible but will have similar effects so be careful ?
I would never have know that, thank you. the other ebay ones are in Glastonbury, so not a million miles away. thank You.

You’re right, it’s the Horsham ones (Ami). I’ll message him now. Thanks everyone, for your help. Its Mr Cowies fault, he‘s put 18in on his and they look amazing..,,, I’ll settle for 17!
thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind. Sacha

E385BC1D-0CC4-4C2B-A72D-389179426FEB.jpeg

38255C63-E8D2-41E0-903A-7AC2F84D4A00.jpeg

I’ve run a few A2’s on 18’s and whilst they look great (if you like that type of thing), the ride is terrible. Saying that the ride is terrible on most A2’s ?

More subtle defects aren't so easily visible but will have similar effects so be careful and always check the insides of wheels as that is where most damage will occur?
They are not mine, mine have center caps, the first ones on Ian @Proghound tread.

Reactions: A2Z
The standard 17" A2 sport wheels are 7j or 7" wide and wear 205/40 17 tyres.
If you go wider with a 7,5j rim, my recommendation would be to fit 215/40 tyres (10mm wider) to compensate for the extra 1/2" or 12.5mm extra rim width.
If you value your comfort at all then 18's aren't ideal as you have to go with rubber bands for tyres to get them to fit without rubbing.
You will need to make sure your suspension is fresh and in top condition then 17's can be ok and most problems and complaints arise from them being out of round with flat spots on the insides of the rims from potholes and people not knowing it and most often even if they look OK they aren't and the only way to tell for sure is to spin them up on a wheel balancer and see if the insides kick like a donkey ??
I've just managed 10 months before buckling my first 17 , did it on country lane commute. Gutted as they look the business ?

Be careful these wheels can only fit an A2 or an A4 not both due to the different PCD between them. If you want to buy make sure the PCD is 5x100 for an A2. If they are 5x112 they will not fit without silly adapter plates..... Lots of clueless sellers out there and many clueless buyers...

Back