Almost impossible to get in revers when cold outside

iceraven

I have a annoying problem with my 04 1,6 FSI.

I live in Norway and its about -8 degrees outside.

When i start the car in the morning its impossible to get i revers. Forward is not a problem.

If i drive for 3-5km, revers is working fine again.

Last summer i did a engine wash and i have probably washed away som grease or something from the gearbox :eek:

I have looked through elsawin and cant find the diagram for gearboxcabels etc so i dont know where to put new grease..

Any ideas ppl? :)

For now i have to leave the car in revers when i put it inside my carport for the night. That works fine.

When its 0++ degrees outside its not a problem. I had a gearbox oil check on last service and it turn out fine.

PS: This was not a problem last year (before i did the engine wash)

Snap! Maybe there is some truth in my wife's ever so slight moan that when it's cold (-2 to -4 quite regularly in winter where we live in our little frosty hollow of Hampshire) she finds it hard to engage 1st and reverse - 03 1.6 FSI.

Again once the engine warms it's fine.

:confused:

Sounds like my old old old Citroen. The same thing began to happen after replacing the gearbox oil with an inferior brand. Changed it to Castrol after a few months and had no problems ever since.
Come to think of it, my A2 is a bit hard to change gears on temperatures below -5 in the first few minutes, unlike my father's '04 Touran. Hmm.
Could you have a lowered oil level in the gearbox? Any leaks?

I told them to check the oil on last service. It was fine :) I live in Norway, maybe they use a different oil if its a "cold" country?

I have booked it in now..the funny part is that if i want to do it my self. Buy grease etc. it cost me about 70£ + 2-3 hours of work for me.

If the garage is doing it: 100£. Easy choice :)

I dont have any problems with 1-2-3-4-5 gear...only revers..

Update: Had the car in for "greasing".

Works like a charm now. I actually paid less for the job done by the workshop than i had to pay for the grease :rolleyes:

Back