AMF Rocker cover replacement options

Hi all,
Made the mistake of changing the rocker cover gasket on my 2001 AMF, without realising the gaskets available nowadays are intended for the later 1.4 TDI covers. Original gasket was leaking and is long gone, new gasket is leaking even worse than before so I'm looking for a fix.

Part number 045103469G seems to be the only one available new these days.

Looking at the difference in prices between new aftermarket and OEM second hand, I'd prefer a second hand OEM one if possible, but are they generally bulletproof in terms of ageing badly, or prone to warping for example?

Also, are the Polo/Ibiza/Skoda variants a direct fit for the A2?

Would be great to hear if anyone has any first hand experience of making the change from the older type to revised, my research has turned up inconclusive results.
Cheers!

I think polo ones are the saem, the only things to watch out are oil filler neck and the way the fuel line and egr sit around it. cant see whay it wouldnt fit, its same engine...good images to check here

I used a cover / gasket combo from skodaparts when mine was renovated - the key thing is that the newer design of lid needs the newer design of gasket ; the engine side is the same in both cases.

The other absolute must is that whether new or reused (but good), the mechanic needs both to unscrew and re-fit the bolts in the correct sequence instructed by the workshop manual, and even then be lucky to get that right as otherwise it warps if you look at it the wrong way!!

Credit for a fair bit of the info below must go to @Robin_Cox and their answers from previous posts on the subject.

20240222_070024.png

Loosen and tighten in the above sequence.

Good luck
:) 👍

Edit
4 cornesmrs for the sealant
20240113_155444~2.jpg
20240113_162718~2.jpg

20240222_100146.jpg

Edit 2
Screenshot_20240222_080553_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What year were the cam covers changed? How do you know which gasket you need is it by the part number?

What year were the cam covers changed? How do you know which gasket you need is it by the part number?
Howey,
Q1. What year were they changed?

If yours is second hand car the cam cover could have been swapped already. You can view the part numbers on genuine Audi cover and gasket seal when you remove them from the engine and look on the underside.
Basically I don't know what year they were altered. 😂

Q2. How do you know the part number you require?

Same answer as above.

If like me you're OK with second hand parts then once the covers off you'll know what you require.

Having done this job before I would recommend if you can stretch to it,...... pay out for a new one 😀👍

They changed while my A2 was still maintained by Audi. So that would have been about 15 years ago.
The seal and cover were revised and the new seal does not fit the old cover. The old seal, 15 years ago, was already NLA. So you had to buy a cover and new seal which continues to be the only one available. I suspect the new cover is now NLA.

Edit, it appears Skoda still supply the revised cover.

Just a heads up, phoned TPS in Newcastle (my local VAG parts supplier) and they have sourced the cover and gasket (045 103 469 G) for £144 +VAT delivered to my garage next day so looks like it's still available from the UK dealer network. Works out similar price as the Skoda-Parts, but no potential import duties or delays to deal with - might help someone in future.

I've just called my local TPS (Swindon) to try to order one of these. I was immediately deflected to my Audi dealer. The guy that answered was very firm on the 'trade only' stance. It seems that TPS are a bit of a lottery if you're trying to buy from them as a member of the public.

I've just called my local TPS (Swindon) to try to order one of these. I was immediately deflected to my Audi dealer. The guy that answered was very firm on the 'trade only' stance. It seems that TPS are a bit of a lottery if you're trying to buy from them as a member of the public.
Damn, not ideal is it. Do you have a friendly local garage that might order one for you?

Unfortunately not. I'm very light on connections to trade. I'll give the Audi dealer a try and see what price they come up with, but it'll be a 40+ mile round trip to collect it even if I go to my nearest dealership. The alternative is to order from Skoda-parts.com or LLLParts, who've got it listed at a reasonable price.

The good news: no more oil leaking from the gasket...
The not so good news:
breathe.JPG

Anyone got any thoughts? I'd hazard a guess at excess crankcase pressure but no idea really. Not good either way...I saved the spring that was inside but expect it'll be a case of needing another new rocker cover/gasket at the least. It's booked in the garage next Thurs.

breathe.JPG
Breaking that part in two halves is difficult to do as they are thermally bonded. I've tried to separate one of those in the past, it's not easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news: no more oil leaking from the gasket...
The not so good news:
View attachment 121467

Anyone got any thoughts? I'd hazard a guess at excess crankcase pressure but no idea really. Not good either way...I saved the spring that was inside but expect it'll be a case of needing another new rocker cover/gasket at the least. It's booked in the garage next Thurs.
Did you buy new? Any chance of a warranty claim?

Back