Annoying buzzing to right of dashboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_n/a

Hello,

I have an annoying buzz to the right hand side of the dashboard and Audi have tried and failed twice to fix it. It sounds like its coming from behind or around the right air vent. It occurs usually under acceleration between 2500 and 3500 revs and can be very loud.

Any ideas what this could be or how to get up behind there? as it is really really frustrating me.

Many Thanks
Andrew

I've exactly the same problem but I've no idea what it is. When I get a chance the car is going back to the dealer for a fix. If they do manage to fix it I'll ask them what it was and post it here. Will probably be a couple of weeks though. Sorry I've no idea how to get in behind there.

Cheers, Phil

Amulet Red FSI Sport. Audi Body kit 17" Sport wheels.

Thanks! Any information would be very helpful!

I get the feeling its either cabling or a connector buzzing against some other plasic. I hope i can get it sorted!!

Andrew
FSI Sport

Andrew - I must apologise to you as I accidently [:I] deleted your username lastnight when perfoming some forum admin tasks which is why the username at the top is shown as n/a. And obviously I had no way of emailing you as your email address was deleted along with the forum profile!

Regards,

Stuart.

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE:http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk1.htm Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray

A2OC Website | 2004 A2OC Competitions | Join the A2OC!

haha no worries Stuart, i did wonder why all of a sudden i couldnt look through the forums and then it said that my username is not found, I was worried that i had said something wrong. I tentatively re-registered!

Andrew

I actually saw that thanks neil! the sound is coming from the right hand side of the dash and is definitely buzzing, but I think it could essentially be the same thing. Cables buzzing which just need moving or rerouting.

Andrew

Hi. I'm keeping an eye out for results in this area too.
My A2 has the same problem as yours, except that is comes more from the center (or so I think). It's loud and only happens under accelleration during the mentioned rpm's. Steady cruising in this range is okay. And bumps in the road don't seem to cause it either.
I'm hoping for cables too, although it is quite loud! Haven't taken the time yet to disassemble my radio and glove compartment again. I put many cables in there...

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Andrew,
Today I 'discovered' that I can suppress the buzzing sounds in my car by firmly pushing or pulling the gear lever (depending on what gear your in).
So I would hear the buzzing under acceleration, but if I pushed/pulled the gear knob it would go away.

Im my case that would make me think that the 'loose wire against plastic surface' noise is coming from the center tunnel, around or in front of the gear lever. I'm guessing there should be wires for:
- cigarette lighther
- ESP/anti-slip disengagement button
- reverse gear signalling?

Anyway, perhaps you could try this as well and if it works in the same way you could direct your dealer towards this area to fix some wires.
Personally, I intend to open it up some day soon and feel around for loose stuff. Nothing duct-tape can't fix!
I think the 'gearknob removal' thread tells me how to remove the alu ring at the bottom of the lever.

Good luck,

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Hi Edo,

funny you should say about that center console, i had creaking and rattling from this area too but had it rectified. you could stop it by pusing on the end section of this trim underneith where the ash tray comes out. Audi said they took it to bits and put it back in and since then its been very quiet!

I, like you, am still gonna get the trim off (under the steering wheel) one day when i find out how to... and poke around for wiring with the handy roll of duct tape!

Andrew

If you are refering to the large pannel underneath the steering wheel, BE CAREFUL!

I had an Audi tech come out to me sometime ago and he had to remove the pannel to access a switch on the brake pedal under warranty. There are about 4 /5 clips which hold it on. Two of these broke with him pulling it off. I did'nt realise untill he had gone. I called customer services who in a roundabout way acused me of doing it and if required a new one they would get parts to ring me to give me a PRICE!!! 6 months later, i'm still waiting. it doesnt rattle but i now have two snapped clips. :( I just leave it alone. they seem to be very brittle.

I'd ball park a figure of somewhere around 50 quid for another, I can wait. It's not obvious unless you pull at it.

Neil Howells
A2 1.4 SE - Atlantic Blue
Symphony Radio, Electronic A/C

eep, thanks for warning me!! it is the large panel under the steering wheel. Im going to get audi to look at the rattle next time my car is in!

Thanks
Andrew

My car is in Audi at the moment getting this rattle fixed! *fingers crossed*

i also got the engineer to show me how to take that bottom panel off and it comes off easy as pie with a few bolts, no clips as described above.

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/preppeller/audiicon.jpg[/img=left] A2 1.6FSI Sport in Azure Blue with strange blue sports interior
climate control, scratched front offside alloy, tape player.

Good luck Andrew...

Last weekend I took apart the space below the ashtray, but to no avail.
That entire compartment is filled with foam and solid components and that leaves very little room for me to poke around. All I could do was slide my hand upwards behind the Climate Control and radio. I pulled on some wires, but my rattling stayed. Annoying. Back to the drawing board....

Edo

--

well, car is back... and ...... the rattling is worse!! DOH!

ah well, as with you, back to the drawing board!

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/preppeller/audiicon.jpg[/img=left] A2 1.6FSI Sport in Azure Blue with strange blue sports interior

Dear all
just happened to stumble on this thread ,this may be of some use
long ago when rattles were not commonplace i had asimilar buzzing /vibe through revs etc,found it to be the down tube from windscreen gutter under bonnet not tucked in its hole and rattling against bulkhead ,remedy was to cable tie it securely fault fixed ,i know this may not be it but its something to look at next time under the bonnet
as its corrugated tubing it transmits sounds a lot

thanks!! i still have this buzzing so i will check this later tonight! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back