annoying vibration / rattle after front spring replacement

I just had a garage replace my front drivers side spring after it snapped. ever since there has been a strange vibration which is really annoying starting at about 1600rpm,

It sounds like its coming from the top of the suspension mount, does anyone have a photo or diagram of the top of the shock, the garage said something about loose ball bearings sitting in the mount, he said he packed them out with grease, but I don't know what he's talking about. So any more info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sounds like the strut mount bearing has failed - I would have recommended this was changed for a new one as a matter of course, sounds like they've bodged it.

I think the statement 'a bit fell out so we packed it with grease' is the talking point here....

... they should have done the job properly and replaced the top mount if the existing one was displaying this kind of behaviour.. I would get them to do the job again with you only having the pay cost for the part and nothing for labour....

From what he said I thought the top mount was meant to be like this, but i'm not sure, so that's why I would like some more info. So if anyone could shed some light on this..

If a bit fell out, that implies it's now broken - either it was broken before (possible given the broken spring) or they damaged it in the removal process (highly likely given their comments).

If a bit fell out, that implies it's now broken - either it was broken before (possible given the broken spring) or they damaged it in the removal process (highly likely given their comments).

I agree with this.. for them to say that they "had a few bits left over and had to pack it with grease, but it will all be ok" kind of implies some guilt

I wouldn't push this route but I would push to replace the faulty item with you paying cost price and no labour.. it is their problem as it would have cost nothing extra (aside from the part) to have done this whilst everything was in bits in the workshop

Go back to the garage and get this repaired free-of-charge. Obviously, you'll still need to pay for the replacement top mount.

There's no point changing the spring with the original top mount being utilised again. I've done this job twice (both sides) and on both occasions the top mounts were shot. They're not particularly robust parts, and packing them with grease simply masks the problem for a few miles. ;)

Back