Antenna Amps in Tailgate, Question.

PlasticMac

Admin Team
United-Kingdom
Hi,
The Concert II has very poor FM reception on Radio 2. Other stations, (R3, R4), are fine, but are in a higher frequency range, (above 90 mhz). I have worked out, by unplugging them from the Diversity box, that it is the amp or antenna connected to the third connector from the left on the Diversity box. The first position is the Z cable, (the way the Diversity and radio communicate) to the radio, second is the 12 volts supply, and the third is the amp/antenna that handles the frequency band that Radio 2 is in.
Before thinking about getting into the tailgate, to check things out, I'd like to have a spare antenna amp on hand.
The first question therefore, is, are the four antennas amps the same, or are they each tuned for a part of the FM spectrum? I looked on 7-Zap and there are several versions of the amp, all part number, 8Z0 035 225, but each with a separate suffix, but no idea what the suffix means, but it could specify the frequency range.
The second question, depending on the answer to the first, is has anyone got a working spare?
Mac.

I foolishly put a coffee in the front cupholder and was forced to brake hard resulting in my Concert II getting a soaking, when the unit dried out I removed from holder and cleaned away any leftover residue.
The radio receiver has never picked up a station since my mishap, but, the CD works perfect.

I foolishly put a coffee in the front cupholder and was forced to brake hard resulting in my Concert II getting a soaking, when the unit dried out I removed from holder and cleaned away any leftover residue.
The radio receiver has never picked up a station since my mishap, but, the CD works perfect.
I would suggest removing the facia section at the front of the radio, and cleaning the connections between it, and the radio itself, and, possibly the controls. Once the radio is out of the car, look at the back of the front, (?), and you'll see some small screw heads, which hold the facia. Remove them, and the facia will come off.
I suspect the coffee has got in via the button slots.
Contact cleaner, or IPA.
Mac.

I`ll put it on my to do list, been making do with the same CD for the past year. My jobs do get done eventually, quite happy I`ve lost my youthful zest for needing to get everything done immediately.

Thanks for the tip.

So, I have answered my own question.
The four FM antenna amps are different. Each amp has an outline of the rear screen, and a dot showing which antenna
position it should be connected to, (see the pic below).
The Great Unknown is which amp covers which frequency range, my problem being around 88 -90 mHz. I thought I'd worked it out, but I hadn't. So one of four is all I know so far.
Once I sort it, I'll post the details with pictures.
Mac.
Screenshot 2023-08-25 13.00.15.png

20230824_205500~2.jpg
20230824_205500~2.jpg

Back