Anti Roll Bar (ARB) DIY replacement

vkx245l

A2OC Donor
Hi everyone

I know there is already lots on here about the ARB but has anyone done the replacement themselves.
I've just had a look on ELSA and it seems pretty straightforward to me (on the diesel version).
Even the subframe drop with locating pins seems surprisingly easy. It seems to require each of the 4 subframe bolts being removed and temporarily replaced with locating bolts that allow a 4cm (1 5/8 in) drop. I'm thinking of removing a subframe bolt to identify the thread, getting some longer bolts or some threaded bar and placing a nut at the required position.

ELSA says on the petrol version the exhaust system needs to be removed first - which might explain the differing quotes people are getting.

Even I budget for a decent alignment check at Stealth Racing I'm still going to be quids in.

Also does anyone know if the later ARB is used elsewhere in the VAG group? If its the one on the VW Polo then Powerflex do replacement bushes.

Cheers

Jonathan

Last edited:
Hi Jonathan

A VW friend did mine, Diesel version, as far as I remember not exhaust removal is require, and I don't think you need the alignment either.

I've tried to call him for you, but he's on holiday at the mo'
but I'm sure someone else will offer suggestions.

bba

if you have access to elsa then surely you can check a 2002 6N polo or Fabia as they'd be the ones (possibly an Ibiza) who use the bushing too....

if I remember correctly, then the PFF85-603-19 should fit as the ARB is 19mm on the new version....

Bret

Thanks for the replies

Although I have EKTA (Parts) I can't run it because my current screen/graphics card aren't good enough!

Powerflex show 17.5mm & 19mm replacements for the Polo. If the 19mm are the later ones, the 17.5mm may mean that the earlier polo bushes weren't captive.

I'll let you all know when I find out more

Thanks again

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan
I think the subframe has elongated holes to allow side to side movement for equilising front wheel camber. The Audi alignment pins have an expanding sleeve to accurately locate the subframe so using longer standard bolts may not be satisfactory. Check out the attachment if you have not already seen the Audi pins. (service tool p/n T 10096)
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=456&d=1163196228

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Back