Any issues fitting these bulbs?

Ken Long

Noticed that one of our headlight bulbs (dipped) has blown as we were driving home this evening. I figure this is the opportunity to give our headlights a little bit of a boost by fitting some better bulbs. I checked the Complete Bulb Replacement post and followed the link there to the Powerbulbs website.
I think a pair of H3 and H7 bulbs are the order of the day. These Osram Night Breaker Lasers were my H7 choice, paired with these Osram Night Breaker H3s.
Will they work ok with our 2001 1.4 TDi? Anything I need to watch out for? If these aren't recommended could you suggest something else?
The current headlight units are stock I think, the lenses are a little faded (but no issues at MoT in August) if that makes a difference.

I note this blurb on the Powerbulbs website:

Please note: due to the exceptional brightness produced by the OSRAM Night Breaker Laser +150% range, the bulbs are expected to have a slightly shorter lifespan than standard. As such, we can only offer a 6-month warranty on this product.

Any experience with longevity of these bulbs?

I've tried a few different ones of these over the years.
The Philips equivalent +150% lasted a total of 3 months for me, the then-current +110% Osrams lasted 10 months.
Wouldn't bet on these lasting any longer. If you drive with the lights on all the time, maybe don't bother if you don't want to replace them periodically, though personally I found the extra light rather helpful and accepted the regular changes.
(These values were from when I did 30 miles each trip to work and back so not exactly on/off every few minutes)

Philips now also do +200% I think, though never got to try them as we have legal LEDs here now.

I've tried a few different ones of these over the years.
The Philips equivalent +150% lasted a total of 3 months for me, the then-current +110% Osrams lasted 10 months.
Wouldn't bet on these lasting any longer. If you drive with the lights on all the time, maybe don't bother if you don't want to replace them periodically, though personally I found the extra light rather helpful and accepted the regular changes.
(These values were from when I did 30 miles each trip to work and back so not exactly on/off every few minutes)

Philips now also do +200% I think, though never got to try them as we have legal LEDs here now.
I have tried leds in a couple of cars. I find the dip beam brighter n whiter, but the main beam has less penetration than halogen or hids.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Remember UK law does not permit LED or HID bulbs to be fitted to lenses not approved to take them and will fail the MOT if found fitted.

Cloudy or yellowed headlights also reduce the transmitted light and diffuses the pattern of the light so it is important they are pretty clear.

You can expect a couple of years of service from upgraded bulbs, but you MUST wear gloves when fitting or otherwise the oil in your skin will shorten the bulbs life.

OK, so I've ordered some Phillips halogen bulbs to (hopefully) avoid any issues. Is it staightforward enough to swap the bulbs with the headlights in place, or is it easier and/or better to take the units out?

OK, so I've ordered some Phillips halogen bulbs to (hopefully) avoid any issues. Is it staightforward enough to swap the bulbs with the headlights in place, or is it easier and/or better to take the units out?
I find its easiest to take them out.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I fully understand that leds are not, officially, allowed, but I have leds in both dip and main. I like to live dangerously, (no I don't, actually).
The beam pattern is fine, the light output is very good, better than the the Osram Night Breakers previously fitted. They passed the last MoT.
I used Osram Next Gen H7 in the dip, and Phillips in the main, as Osram don't do an H1.
Not cheap, at over £100 for the set, but night driving is now a pleasure. I had the lense covers professionally polished too. If you can't see, you're not safe.
Mac.

As you depress the locking tab you need to apply pressure on the plug towards the headlight. This will enable the lock to be released. The rubber sealing ring inside the socket acts as a spring and prevents the locking tab just falling off its location.

Back