Any motorcyclists out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnW

Just could'nt resist starting this off.
Anybody interested in PTW's ie bikes with engines? It's my great passion in life, since my first bike in '64 ( now you all know I'm an old git !)
There must be someone else - pleeeeese.

Someone had to be the first...and it wasn't going to be me (for once)!!

________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]
Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Owner

2001 TDi SE: Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest

A2OC: www.Audi-A2.co.uk | www.A2Forum.net

I'm either being realy stupid or a lot of people are going to thank me for asking this question.

What does PTW stand for?

A2%20front%20side_small.jpg
1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm

John W
You are not the only old git, my first bike BSA 250 with pilgrim pump, no you work it out! My last a Yamaha 650 4 pot, went like s*** off a shovel. I was going to buy a Pan European recently, but my wife stopped me. That'sthe trouble with wives, they think with the brain not the heart. But I still have seven non engined bikes, from high end mountain bike to mid range road bike. Unforunately at the moment I am effectively grounded, I might sneak out when no one's looking if I feel OK.

Hello Rob and Hollyrescue.
I'm not surprised you don't know what PTW means!! I did'nt until recently, and I've been riding for 39 years!!! It's is the politically correct abbreviation for motorcycles--Powered Two Wheeler, used in Government transport language cobblers.
Hollyrescue, nice to hear you've had bikes in the past, but sorry you cant ride your pushbikes at the moment- I'm sure you'll be able to ride again soon.
Pan Euro', nice bike, my neighbour had one, but what a bloody heavy thing. I tried to pull it on to the centre stand once, and failed miserably! A lot of my mates have them, and have you noticed how many more the Police have these days. It used to be all Bee-ems. I used to work for Norton, and in the 80's we supplied a few hundred Rotary engined bikes to forces all over the Uk, but they fizzled out.
I have presently 2 bikes and both unsurprisingly are Norton Rotaries.
The only other bikes I've owned ( apart from the odd small Honda and Kawasaki ) have been Bee Emms. I started with my 1st in 1969 a R69's and my last in 2000 a 1150 GS monster " trailie". What a superb bike that was, but had to sell it a month later when my spine collapsed the same year, due to illness. Might have another one some day!
I'm back riding now thank goodness ( driving drives me potty )
I've got a couple of pushoes, so must try and get out on them now the nice weather's here.
Regards John W. 2002 TDI SE.

JohnW
I need a scaffold to get on those monster traillies, I've only got little legs. My first love (3rd bike) was a Douglas mk5, way ahead of it's time,brilliantly engineered and too unconventional to be popular, does that sound like an A2? The tranverse twin engine was mounted in the frame with an engine bearer of 5/8 steel rod for the front mount and similar for the rear. The twisting torque was such that the rear bearer often broke and the rear of the engine dropped down, I had some made up and always carried a spare. I was late for work one day,and as was the custom in those days had to write to the boss asking to be excused my late attendance. I love this bit really!!!, my memo said "Dear Sir, please excuse my late attendance of 10 minutes as my engine fell out of my motor cycle and I had to replace the engine bearer with a new one in order to proceed". I also had an AJS and the gear lever return spring often broke, so I carried those as a spare, and repaired the gearbox by the side of the road many times. And here I am with an A2 having nightmares over changing a wiper and headlamp bulbs!!!! My worst bike ever, apart from the MZ (lethal), was a brand new Kawasaki, the rockers hadn't been hardened, it went for about 20 miles , broke down, and spent the next 3 months waiting for parts. Times change, I lift up the bonnet of the Volvo and apart from the battery, it's a mystery under there. I always fancied riding the rotary Norton. I was an RAC/ACU instructor and examiner so got to see and ride many bikes. Ok, Ok, so it's boring but it is a PTW thread, and I didn't start it!

Floppy wiper with after market A2 SE attached.

Never had a motorbike myself and if I was to try and ride one, everyone would probably wet themselves laughing.
However, my Dad used to ride before he had kids and one of his bikes was an MZ. Funny you should say it's lethal as thats the bike he was on when a car pulled out in front of him, causing quite a bit of damage to everything involved.
Coincidence? Curse of the MZ.

A2%20front%20side_small.jpg
1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm

Rob Earl
Well it was lethal with me on it. I didnt own it, it was a loan bike while awaiting spares for the Kwacker. They were probably hoping it would kill me and they wouldn't have the hassle of getting spares (no not really, but....). The clutch was an on/off switch, the kickstart on the wrong side and high up, so with my little legs a stall in traffic (frequent)
was a circus act. It handled like a wheel barrow, it frightened the life out of me, but the engine was designed by the world leader in 2 stroke engine design and it showed. I had a British Leyland once......

Boring it aint!!! This might be though.
Funny the two of you should mention MZ's, Because I have had several, and sold my last one only a few months ago. I must be a bit funny, but I've always liked riding them. Strange riding position, like a sack of spuds, but they were cheap and could be made to go forever. The OE Rickshaw tyres were rubbish, but easy to change for better rubber. The best one I had was a 301 which was good for 80!!
For the last 18 years of my working life I only needed to travel 2 miles to work, so used the MZ's summer and winter.
I had narrow escapes, but the worst was when I had one seize on the way to Devon once. I was hammering along ( a relative term! ) about 70 bored out of my head when it seized solid on a downhill stretch of the M5 just after Bristol. The back wheel locked and took me across 2 lanes, so I whipped in the clutch, and coasted to the bottom. I climbed off and it fired up!!! I turned the oil pump up a bit!
I've always liked a bit of adventure, and like things other folks think are crap!
I've never done any instructing ( people I rate very highly- because they're are the people who keep motorcycling alive ) but I was once lucky enough to be a bike tester 83-2000, and a bloody fantastic time it was to!!!
I had some good British bikes in my younger days, namely BSA's- A7's Bantams, Velo's, a Thruxton and an LE. Great times.
Regards JohnW. 2002 TDI SE. + Nortons.

I've only been riding since 97, but my current bike is a 98 R1. I always wanted one, ever since I first saw them in the yamaha dealer about 5 doors from my house at the time.

Bikes seem to get into your blood like no other transport. I was between bikes for about 2 months, and even though I'm an occasional rider and probably wouldn't have gone for a ride anyway it was totally heart wrenching every time I looked outside.

Suffolk is more dangerous than you think...

Hi: my motorcycling career was fairly brief, but in that time I had: Yamaha YG1, (first bike, in 1967ish, reg JOK 753 E. Stolen. Ariel NH (forgotten reg) Bought for £20, sold for £10. Cams mysteriously wore down over summer hols -some swine must have taken it out while I was away, and thrashed it, albeit quite slowly!), and Norton ES2 Mk 2, LYV 98D. Ran out of cash in 70's (student) so sold the Norton. At Keele, also rode Vincent Comet, Douglas 350 h/o twin, BSA C15, Triumph 650, all of which "belonged" to a popular Canadian student known as "mad George", later taken away, rather abruptly, for embezzlement. Still prefer bikes, but now only powered by .5 hp motor (on a good day) of nil fossil fuel consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back