Audi a2 1.4 petrol leaking sensor.

Pdeuce

Hi had a look at 1.4 petrol car was pretty tidy however when running it noticed that on the front of the right hand side top of the engine was a sensor looks like it goes into the cam cover. The sensor was leaking fluid out when running seemed to be coming out of the centre of sensor where the wiring came out. Has anybody encountered this before I was wondering if the cam oil gallery was pressuring due to head gasket leak causing the sensor to fail and leak. Hadcanybody seen this before.

Oil Pressure Switch.

Very easy and cheap to replace - I've replaced mine on our AUA petrol engined car twice - once a leak through the sensor as you've described that was present when I bought the car, once an apparent failure (probably turned out to be the loom as this had broken insulation where it came out of the black plastic wrapping).

I got a Febi replacement through Amazon overnight although other ones do exist.

Should also note that ours hasn't (still - despite the lack of maintenance before we got it) shown any evidence of a leaking head gasket - the amount of oil coming out was that purely from normal oil pressure as supplied by pump circulation with a failed membrane inside the sensor (at that point probably about 16 years / 180,000 miles old as it was an original)

Oil Pressure Switch.

Very easy and cheap to replace - I've replaced mine on our AUA petrol engined car twice - once a leak through the sensor as you've described that was present when I bought the car, once an apparent failure (probably turned out to be the loom as this had broken insulation where it came out of the black plastic wrapping).

I got a Febi replacement through Amazon overnight although other ones do exist.

Should also note that ours hasn't (still - despite the lack of maintenance before we got it) shown any evidence of a leaking head gasket - the amount of oil coming out was that purely from normal oil pressure as supplied by pump circulation with a failed membrane inside the sensor (at that point probably about 16 years / 180,000 miles old as it was an original)
Thanks for the reply this clears up that it is a faulty sensor the reason I thought it was a head gasket issue is because the car was low on water and the oil cap had emulsion on it. It is also had a rough idle when running. Thanks for the reply much appreciated.

I assume you mean coolant (G13 or related) rather than water? No harm in giving it a flush and new coolant. I had a small amount of the clarty emulsion in mine before I replaced the oil filler cap - it was commented by someone here that this can happen with condensation. Has never come back since. Oil filler cap being old can contribute to air leaks / mixture issues as the seal no longer compresses properly, and this could also presumably allow damp air in to generate emulsion.

Rough idle when running can be many things with an AUA (ours was like that on purchase) - dirty throttle body / knackered EGR being the first things that needed to be resolved, but subsequently also needed plugs, leads, coil pack (very important to check this if misfiring is happening), refurbished / tested injectors and finally a genuine lambda probe. Now running like clockwork. All of this possible to be resolved by someone without much mechanical expertise (if I was able to do these fixes anyone can!!).

People don't often clean the throttle body / EGR port in the throttle body adapter which get gunked up. Cleaning those helped mine run quite a bit more smoothly. You do need to recalibrate the throttle body after cleaning though, which can be done with VCDS.

Back