Audi A2 petrol with piston slap

nikwin

Hello everyone
Sorry for my english has used google translation.

I have an Audi A2 2001 petrol with piston slap.
I have been thinking of replacing the pistons and piston rings.
Is there anything more you need to change when you are still renovating the engine.
And which screws do you have to buy because they have to be replaced.
I plan to change the pistons while the engine is still in the car.
Does anyone have info on how hard to tighten the screws.

Sincerely Niklas

I have heard that the crank mustn't be removed on either of the 1.4 petrol engines - possibly due to their all-alloy construction. Does that still leave you able to remove the pistons? If not, maybe time to find one with a blown head gasket and put your current cylinder head on it.

That sounds like an internet rumour to me! There are plenty of all-alloy engines that dont have that sort of prescription on disassembly.
(Goes off to inspect parts catalogue)

No oversize bearings listed afaics so maybe its a no to crankshaft regrinding and new parts every time?

From the manual....

Crankshaft
Vorsicht.jpg
Caution
t The crankshaft must not be removed. Even loosening the main bearing cap bolts will cause deformation of the cylinder block bearing pedestals. This will result in reduced bearing clearance. Even if bearing shells are not renewed, a change in bearing clearance can cause bearing damage.
t If the bearing cap bolts are loosened, the cylinder block must be renewed together with the crankshaft.
t Crankshaft bearing clearance cannot be measured using workshop equipment.

So why does the parts catalogue list crankshaft bearings? Are the crank caps torqued in one operation i.e. with a machine that tightens all 10(?) bolts at once?

Or is this VAG saying in coded language "we know these engines warp in service because we didnt properly season the alloy castings, so once assembled dont go near it"

At first I thought it was the connecting rod that sounded but after some youtube videos I have come to the conclusion that it is piston slap.
Cold engine sounds more than a hot engine and it disappears at certain speeds.
I will not remove the crank thought to remove the pistons from above.
Remove the connecting rod and push it up.
And when I still had to remove the connecting rod, I thought I would change the bearings there.

//Niklas

Good advice from audifan and good on you for gettiing the job done.

Quick request for you, if you have spare time.

Could you upload photographs of the work and provide details of how you did the job?

I think it would make intersting reading.

Cheers Andy

I bought a piston renovation kit that was included with rings and gaskets it cost 227 euros.
I also bought connecting rod bearing for 18 euros.
Then I had to buy oil and antifreeze.
So total cost of 350 euros.

//Niklas

Back