Audi A2 Problems

fergy

Hi all this is my first posting well ive had my A2 for about 5 yrs now and after the the first 2 years i would say i have had nothing but trouble with knocking noises on the front especially the drivers side first i had to change the anti roll bar it had the old style one on (the one that they should of put a recall out for) then i had to change the drivers side front coil spring after it snapped at the end ,then the drop links on both sides now after i thought i had fixed it and it was like driving a new car it has started knocking again.

There is a knock and also a grind i dont know if its the strut bearing which i didnt change when i renewed the coil spring but i changed the spring ages ago and this knock has just started in the last couple of weeks i have spoke to a friend who is a mechanic and he said it could be the wishbone bushes but they look fine to me.
If anyone has any ideas i would love to hear them.

Thanks Fergy

P.s. Engine check light has come on now looks like a new O2 sensor does anyone know where to get one cheap or any work around.

Might be worth checking the drop links again. My old 80 Avant TDi used to eat them for breakfast. Avoid the Ebay ones - they're not worth fitting.

Hi thanks for your reply i have just changed the drop links again and the noise is still there even took them off and drove car down street just to try and eliminate the drop links and the noise was still there.

Im at my wits end with this car got MOT in 2 weeks time

Thanks Fergy

The top bearing should be done at the same time as the spring. I just did this job at the weekend. The bearing was completely shot, little or no lubrication, which was partly responsible for causing steering friction and ultimately forcing the spring to snap. Bit of a hassle to strip-down to investigate. Part only costs £10.

Also worth checking the tie-rod ends. Can be overlooked and will cause a knocking sound wheen steering or going over speed bumps. Raise vehicle and hold wheel at 10 to 2 position. Rock back and forth and look for play at the tie-rod end.

Thanks for your reply i will check the tie rod today my tyre is wearing uneven on the drivers side think it could possibly be the tie rod.

Thanks Steven

Hi Replaced strut top bearing at weekend and noise is still there,
do you think it could be the bottom ball joint its certainly making a loud enough clunk doesnt seem to be any play on ball joint though
Thanks Fergy

Ps so far i have replaced :-

Drop links twice
Anti roll bar
Anti roll bar bushes
Anti roll bar retaining brackets and bolts
Strut top bearing
Coil Spring

Knocking and uneven tyre wear does sound like a ball joint problem. Hopefully you get to the bottom of this soon.

Engine Management Light

Hi.
I have an 04 Tdi A on which the engine management light came on last November for the first time whilst on the motorway.... a bit panicky until we could find what it was supposed to be about.
It indicated that the either the intake manifold flap motor was not working or was malfunctioning.
I am not using a dealer garage and my garage replaced the unit (the part was well more than the cost of doing the job) and the light went out for about 2 weeks then the intermittent fault started all over again. Unfortunately you can't always get it to happen when the car is booked in!!
The garage has checked the ecu output which indicates that it is still the same fault which might mean the replacement unit was faulty but Audi won't agree to this and as the part is coming from Germany won't agree to let us fit the new part and return the old one for testing without we buy the part (£263.00).
Has anyone else had this problem or something similar and if so how did you deal with it?
Could it be a wiring issue between the part and the ecu?
Thanks
Tony

Back