Audi A2 strange front (left) knocking noise

Antoru76

HI All,

I noticed since few weeks , that a strange noise come from the front-left of my A2 (1.4 TDI)
The noise (not the cow mooing :)) , sounds like a "knocking" , a kind of dry noise , and it happen in the morning when the car is cold (apparently) , when it run at low speed and on the speed bump.
The noise is quieter the faster you go. Occasionally when you turn the car to either side to go around a corner at low speeds it makes a really loud knock noise.

Any ideas ?

Thanks for the help .

Cheers guys,
Antonio

Sounds like a cracked spring

Agree with that. Front springs are notorious for shearing. If it's snapped, there's a good chance the car will have dropped an inch or so on that side. You could also do a visual and jack the car up. The ends of the spring should be flat. Any sharp edges, or uneven shape on the ends - then it's broken.

Normally you have to replace in pairs, however I've done one side at a time. If you're replacing, get a top mount too, the bearing inevitably seizes, and was probably a contributing factor to causing the spring to fail. The passenger side is easier to do than the driver's side.

Only other thing I can think of would be a tie-rod end or a drop link. Rule the spring out first though.;)

knocking

Could be the roll bar shifted over a couple of inches to the off side, this makes the n/s droplink knock against the chasais, when jacked up you can see where it will have been knocking by the shiny aluminium showing.

Back