Audi A2 TDI - dead engine after fuel filter replacement

Ellie

Hi all,
I posted a thread a few months ago when my car wouldn't start properly; someone suggested I change the fuel filter. So, long story short, brought the car over to the garage, they changed the fuel filter and the car is now completely dead, it won't start at all. They don't have a clue what is wrong. Ran diagnostics, nothing showing there.
I had to tow the car home. Needless to say I won't be going back to that garage,but at the moment am pretty much stuck. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Ellie

Last edited:
Does it start straight away when they get the fuel into the filter? you may have air in the system, when it did start did it just run for little bit and then stop and you just turn the key with it not fireing?

When i did my fuel filter after having dodgy full in the tank it did this would run for little bit then stop and just cranking the engine over, got the air out and its been fine since

Where abouts are you in the country as there maybe a member on here that may be able to help or know of a garage that they could recomend for you

Cheers Phil

That's exactly what it did.It seemed to have been working until there was fuel in the filter and then nothing.
I'm in Ireland.
Thanks,
Ellie

How long have you tryed turning it over for? as yours may need bleeding to get the fuel up to the injectors then it should be fine if nothing else is wrong ( fuel pump)

Phil

For a few hours :(. Got the fuel pump checked, it's fine. How can I get the bleeding, air out done?
Ellie

Just did mine - bit of a pain - I can only suggest garage must have reversed the quick release in / out connectors ?

Hi

I realise this is a bit late... I changed my fuel filter yesterday, and originally thought I'd done something wrong - it started, ran, then died. It just wouldn't start for AGES...

I ran a mechanic friend who confirmed that turning over the engine (trying to start it) will eventually pull the air through/bleeds the system. It took about 10 attempts at cranking it over for 5-10 seconds before it fired, and it died again. It then fired up and I took it for a spin - I lost power a couple of times before it was reliable. For the record, my mechanic friend owns a VW Passat, and regularly services other PD engines similar to our 1.4 TDi's.

This may help somebody who is im the situation I was in - thinking it was broken!

Back