Audi concert ii and Audi a2 2000

fin199

Hi I have a Audi concert ii and a 2000 Audi a2. The issue is the the stereo doesn't switch on or off with the ignition. The lights don't come on when the headlight/sidelights come on. I was just wondering if this model isn't compatible with the older Audi a2? Or if a wire needs to be changed over ? Does anyone know which wire is actually switching it ?

Thank you

The Chorus II is not compatible with early A2s. The Chorus I, in early cars, has an ignition switched 12 V to control it, whereas the Chorus II has no switched 12V, but is controlled via the canbus network. Simplest solution is to look for a Chorus I. Pop a "Wanted" ad. In the Marketplace.
Mac

You can use the Concert II in your 2000 A2 but as MAC suggests you will have to add a link to the Canbus network. I know little about this, possibly by using a jumper on the Cambus pin(s?)on the climate, maybe other tweaks as well, but you will need the advice of someone who knows what they are talking about. Normally this is something that Tom(Timmus) would do but you are a bit off the beaten track.

Andy

Last edited:
Yes, Unfortunately im not just an hour away... Up in orkney I look after about 4 a2's, amost the entire a2 population of orkney!
but maybe we can find a way to resolve this?

the chrous 1 does seem a nice easy solution.

You are aware that a Chorus is a cassette radio whilst a Concert is a CD radio? ?

What @Andrew and @PlasticMac are saying applies to all the generation I vs generation II headunits. Within the same generation, Chorus and Concert units are interchangeable, both being single-DIN.

You can use the Concert II in your 2000 A2 but as MAC suggests you will have to add a link to the Canbus network. I know little about this, possibly by using a jumper on the Cambus pin(s?)on the climate, maybe other tweaks as well, but you will need the advice of someone who knows what they are talking about. Normally this is something that Tom(Timmus) would do but you are a bit off the beaten track.

Andy

Although not everyone has the skills to do the mod, post 29 in the link to the German A2oc thread explains the CAN wiring changes

(about 7 posts down)

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
The generation II units arrived with the 2002 model year, so from 2001/51 onwards - although there were a few late registrations of 2001 model year cars on a '51 plate. If you have a '51, then if it has a Swing grey interior (code YB on your service sticker), and/or it has hard touch switches, shiny interior door handles (rather than brushed) and metal rear window winders from the factory, it won't have the CANbus extension and will require a generation I headunit.

30/06/2001 is the date of change although some cars may have been on the build line already on that date.

Looks like VIN starting 8Z-2-000-001 were generation 2 stereos like the concert 2.

If the stereo part number is 8Z0 then believe gen 2 if its a 4B0 then gen 1 stereo.

If you want to add Bluetooth to your radio, for phone streaming etc, best look for a Concert 1, as I don't think the Chorus 1 supports the external CD changer. It's usually the CD input on the radio that is used for the Bluetooth adaptor. I'm not certain that the Chorus 1 (without internal modifications), will not support a Bluetooth adaptor, so wait and see if any one else knows for sure.
Concert 1s will be a bit rarer than Chorus 1s.
Mac.

You can get a canbus emulator that is plug and play which allows the concert 11 and Bluetooth adapters to work in a non canbus car. I'll try and dig a link out to the one I have.

Screenshot_20211211_175528_com.microsoft.office.outlook.jpg

Back