Audi e-Tron Quattro SUV revealed

dan_b

A2OC Donor
So, Audi has finally gone public on the all-electric e-Tron - it'll be an SUV.
I actually feel a bit nauseous just looking at this beast.
But lots of people seem to like SUVs, and the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is selling like hot-cakes, so I suppose Audi will churn these out by the thousand. I'd just rather have had a new Audi A2 based on the electric concept they showed a few years ago.
More and more I'm leaning towards the i3. Very unlikely I'll be buying another Audi.

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/09/15/500-kilometer-all-electric-audi-e-tron-quattro-finally-shown/

So, Audi has finally gone public on the all-electric e-Tron - it'll be an SUV.
I actually feel a bit nauseous just looking at this beast.
But lots of people seem to like SUVs, and the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is selling like hot-cakes, so I suppose Audi will churn these out by the thousand. I'd just rather have had a new Audi A2 based on the electric concept they showed a few years ago.
More and more I'm leaning towards the i3. Very unlikely I'll be buying another Audi.

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/09/15/500-kilometer-all-electric-audi-e-tron-quattro-finally-shown/

i know what you mean about the i3. I think it is the only car that I woukd get if I had to replace my A2.

I like the huge diameter wheels on the pictures on the link. They must be 22" at least.
I guess the extra weight of the batteries etc will enable the suspension to be more compliant and soak up the bumps.

Steve B

There is nothing from Audi that really interests me at the minute... Now the i3 is the only car i am interested in, apart from a Tesla

I ordered a i3 brochure a few days ago and it really reminds me of when the A2 was first released. From looking at the prices though, i wont be buying new, i will go for a used one. Used prices seem to be dropping quick, although bmw dealers are apparently artificially holding prices up...

Lovely car that may become a bargain in the next year or two.

Last edited:
Ewww. Don't like the look or the direction Audi is going at all. Same kind of ugly as America mainstream to me. Is anyone still around at Audi from the A2 days? The A2 really is seeming like a maverick Audi now.

Audi has ruined the "q's" I liked the old ones but the new ones look silly, the big wide square front end is horrible! That etron isn't very nice either!

Last edited:
I guess the A2 owner isn't really who they're shooting for with their current designs which seem to be about being as big and brash as metalically possible

+1, hideous.

Me too I'm afraid. I love the Audi brand but the new model Q7 is awful looking ( i didn't like the original but at least it looked like an Audi) and this 'thing' is just dreadful. Sorry to anyone who likes or 'gets' what they're trying to do.

Well, considering the top-line Tesla is shooting for the Jaguar+ bracket, and is essentially the best car in the world, it comes at quite the premium price so it would be hard for the i3 to match that! But then the P90D is out now with its "ludicrous" mode giving 0-60 in 2.8seconds so the 85 is out of date already!

The i3 is surely the spiritual heir to the A2 - still no P85D though!

Absolutly love the Tesla. It eats supercars for breakfast alongside £0 road tax, £0 congestion charge and free charging at the superchargers. I just dont have £100k to drop on one...

I will be test driving the i3 very soon and pick up a used one next year. Looking through the brochure, it has all the elements the A2 had, glass roof, Alu, low running costs and ahead of its time.

If i do buy one, it would be a dark grey with LED headlights, dc charging, Pro Media/Nav, privacy glass and 20" wheels.

0-60 in 7 seconds is quick enough, but once people start modifying that will be fun.

Not too sure about the range extender as it adds more weight, 7.9 0-60 and another thing to go wrong.

Last edited:
I didn't want to give the i3 back when I had it for a test, it's that good. And returning to an ICE powered vehicle afterwards just felt like stepping back 100 years.
You can get the pure EV i3s 2nd hand now for under 20k, even with DC charging (which is essential).
I think for me I would still get the ReX as that permits it to be a full ICE replacement - 160 miles in one go, fill up the tank, DC rapid charge at the same stop whilst having a coffee and you're back on your way as you would normally.
Only issue for the i3 is the relatively small boot, and at the moment, no apparent aftermarket roof-rack solution for me to carry my bike!

Range extender massively increases the usability when the charging infrastructure is still in its infancy.

Novelty aside, electric cars are still only moving the problem elsewhere - power stations don't run on electricity...

For urban areas, the complete removal of tail-pipe emissions and big reductions in noise is a massive gain.
The UK electricity grid has already significantly reduced its carbon intensity through enormous increases in renewable generation and large coal-fired plants being decommissioned.

No doubt, but the bigger issue facing, for example, London is all the older diesel buses and cabs spewing plumes of NOx and SO2 out. Can't see current renewables technology making great inroads either - maybe we all need a Tesla Powerwall.

I'm far too attached to the internal combustion engine to look forward to a soulless electric future though.

Yes diesel emissions from HGVs, buses and taxis are also an issue, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't tackle the passenger car fleet as well.
The new Routemaster is a good example of an electric hybrid bus which has already made a difference. Perhaps if the Govt hadn't ripped out London's electric tram and trolley-bus network after the war the issue wouldn't be quite so acute now?

There are plenty of Priuses running around London as minicabs - perhaps if there were better tax incentives for electric vehicles, or more punitive taxes for older diesels, more clean vehicles would be used?

The i3 is hardly soulless. Nor is the Tesla! They're just different. Go test drive one.

All new cabs post-2018 have to be zero-emissions capable, hybrid buses are now common - seems a far more pragmatic approach than forcing restrictions on private vehicle use.

For my driving, i wouldn't require the range extender and i quite like the thought of adding extra or uprated batteries when they become available.

Also modifying the motor and controller in the future.

They should of made the range extender modular, so it can be fitted when you are due to go on a long trip

Back