Audi-forums.com

Skipton01

Admin Team
Well, having tried to reason with the moderators there, I have been banned from the above Audi forum!

If anyone cares to take a look at the transgressions I've made, take a look at the A2forum there - I posted a load of answers to questions (mostly 2-3 months old, at the most recent!!) and posted a link to our homepage.

The mods removed all 'advertising' of the A2OC and I asked them why they were keeping helpful info from their members. I pointed out that we here at the A2OC are a not-for-profit forum and are entirely free, but they've now banned my IP address!!

Oh well, you can't help all the people all the time I s'pose.

Cheers,

Mike

Hey Mike,

I don't think Audi Forums are doing themselves any favours by banning you - who's going to answer everyone's A2 questions on there now! Besides which, how does this help fellow A2 owners? Surely forums only exist to serve their communities, rather than their owner's interests.

Between us and our friends over at http://www.a2-freun.de I think we've got the source of friendly A2 information firmly covered.

On the plus side, this means we've got more of your valuable time and knowledge to help out the A2 community here! ;)

B

Besides which, how does this help fellow A2 owners? Surely forums only exist to serve their communities, rather than their owner's interests.

I think this is a way of you trying to display the A2OC as a innocent party here. You clearly knew what you were doing by offering forum members to go to another forum, and with this sites self promotion on the front page, you can see its obvious they weren't happy, What do you expect?

If you want to help people, help them. i think its an excellent service that skipton/others provide for lots of people, and i'm sure most genuinely help where possible, But suggesting that they come over to another forum is going to kick off. There are several forums out there that i have seen A2OC people trying to promote on and i always think its a little off. They are trying to build communities as well, and then you get a post of "Hi why not come over here to A2OC" not really on IMO.

2 pence

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is a way of you trying to display the A2OC as a innocent party here. You clearly knew what you were doing by offering forum members to go to another forum, and with this sites self promotion on the front page, you can see its obvious they weren't happy, What do you expect?

If you want to help people, help them. i think its an excellent service that skipton/others provide for lots of people, and i'm sure most genuinely help where possible, But suggesting that they come over to another forum is going to kick off.

2 pence

The Audi forum is a wide-ranging place, covering all models, not just the A2. In posting links to the A2OC on the A2forum only, I wasn't encouraging people to switch to another forum, it's just an easier and less time consuming way to answer peoples' queries. Like I said in one post (might have been removed now), I spend my time solving problems, not writing them up on the internet. If a multi-model forum can't accept links to another single model forum where help and advice is already posted, then the mods and admins are not helping their membership as best they could.

Cheers,

Mike

I know you spend time resolving problems and selflessly help where you can, but that is in some ways missing the point. Its not about helping members solely, if it was then half of them would just have links to other forums and wouldn't even bother with anything else! Its about developing a community and some forums rely on members, hits, sponsors etc.

If this site was so keen on helping the community wouldn't we have a link to all other A2 forums on here, on the front page, to help an A2 owner get the most from all forums, But no thats not going to happen...

If this site was so keen on helping the community wouldn't we have a link to all other A2 forums on here, on the front page, to help an A2 owner get the most from all forums, But no thats not going to happen...

We would have but for one factor: we represent the best source of information currently available to English speaking owners.

Where other forums exist that are better in one area or another, we do actively advertise that fact: VagParts.com, Navplus.us, the German A2 forum, tyresmoke, Petrolheads, Pistonheads etc, etc

What we DON'T do is remove links from posts that are relevant and useful - yes, we remove stuff such as how to rip videos to your iPod using a specific software package and the sale of vegetable oil by the ton, but that's about it and I think people can see why we do that!

Cheers,

Mike

I've now had the chance to have a look at the Audi-forums.com site from a non-barred IP and all my posts have been removed!

Even better, there's some classic info in this post:

http://www.audi-forums.com/audi-a2-forum/43931-02-audi-a2-fsi-se-good.html

"Where do you want to start with a2.Not the best car audi make by a long shot.Sorry to any a2 drivers but there pants,thank god they stopped making them R.I.P. A2S."

And:

"Did a little hunting around and found this little gem Link for £5,495 same spec as what you stated but with traction control"

Sorry Mr Super Moderator - ALL A2s have traction control as standard!

If you want a bigotted opinion on the A2, make Audi-forums your first port of call.

Cheers,

Mike

Unless i'm mistaken only few of them are from other forums. So your basis for the discussion seems a little odd, I'm sure you do mention the above in posts, but they aren't all competing forums.
If this forum and some of the people on it weren't so far up there own arse they might realise that. I go to loads of Golf forums and in a forum you get loads of people saying this and that, some hating the colour, the car, the person posting it and all sorts, it can't all be an A2 utopian forum.

Now you are cutting and copying things to say " look at what they said about the beloved A2" its a little like a school playground

Get over it :).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that particular forum is heavily advertising based. That may explain things.

I think they should perhaps have had a chat with you about it all first. The treatment looks a little heavy handed really.

You are of course entitled to your opinion Emm, but I cannot agree with most of your last post.

This forum is A2-centric, so the opportunity to link to other forums is limited, but we do it where necessary and do not censor stuff.

I don't know what your bit about people being full of themselves is all about (paraphrased!), but I hope it's not aimed at me - I would have thought you'd know better.

All I was doing by posting a link was: a) advertising the Audi-forums.com site;) and b) showing that the advice there was not unbiased and in parts, completely inaccurate.

I have always strived to be even handed and fair, not slagging off a car, person or forum and would hope that others would do likewise, but it seems I'm mistaken.

Sorry to be so misguided.

Mike

As a new member of the A2OC I would comment that I have found this forum a fantastic resource, providing nothing but friendly help, advice and discussion.

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that Audi-forums.com have "cut off their nose to spite their face"! Please don't take their action to heart Mike!

Audi forum

AudiDoody - good for this site ?
I understand you have rules but they do not seem to be for the good of us - the A2 drivers, I was fortunate enough to see the links that Mike posted and they are very informative and comprehensive. Just because he offers an alternative forum does not make him your enemy and you should not see it to be your role to censor this, we are adults and can view links for what they are. The A2OC are enthusiastic and helpful and I think they bring benefits to this A2 forum which without their input would mean rather than use here and there if forced to chose I would just go there, this would be a pity.
Without Mike and his knowledge you A2 readers will be worse off when you yourselves as moderators make statements like "Have you considered a part exchange? Have you wondered why the A2 had such a short production run? I'm not a fan!" that is very constructive and helpful to the Lynne.

Are we the A2 owners that visit here happy with Audidoody or not ?
Do we see the A2OC as a threat to here or not ?
Should the moderators here support A2's or not ?

I posted the above on the audi forum within the A2 section to try and see what the general opinion of A2 owners was towards what Mike had been doing, I appreciate it is slightly contentious but it did ask for opinions from A2 owners on that forum, the moderators have decided not to allow anybody to have an opinion on the subject and removed the thread.
I suppose I expected it but it does show how the moderators react on that site.
Emm - I do not agree with what you say but respect your right to say it and I am sure had you made such critism of a moderator on the Audi forum it would no longer be there for others to read and comment on.

Thanks for trying Tony - I saw that you had posted something to the A2 section - they have barred me but I still get notification emails!

The fact that the mods don't want to even allow your post on the site speaks volumes and I really do feel sorry for people who post there, expecting an honest, straight-forward answer.

The traffic of replies to questions is dire to say the least - most A2 queries were 3 months old or older and any recent replies were from mods encouraging people to part-ex for another car.

Graham - I'm not that bothered by being barred, as I prefer to focus my efforts in the one place, but I am saddened to know that people wanting constructive advice and help will not be getting it from Audi-forums.com, at least as far as the A2 is concerned.

Cheers,

Mike

Fivetones, that A2 posted (GF52 FRZ) does have climate control - it's quite clear in the piccies!

I stand corrected. It's not in the specs and it's pretty hard to tell from the pics (what are the things to look for - I'm very new to the finer details of A2s but am willing to learn!).

I stand corrected. It's not in the specs and it's pretty hard to tell from the pics (what are the things to look for - I'm very new to the finer details of A2s but am willing to learn!).
Don't worry - many people are unaware of the difference between climate control and manual air control.

Basically, if the A2 you are looking at has a dush-button panel, with a digital readout, you have full automatic climate control (single zone, unlike on some of the more expensive models with dual or even triple zones!).

If there are 3 rotary dials, then you have a basic manual 'climate' system, which means you can't go cooler than the outside air (so useless with global warming!!).

Cheers,

Mike

As a new member of the A2OC I would comment that I have found this forum a fantastic resource, providing nothing but friendly help, advice and discussion.

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that Audi-forums.com have "cut off their nose to spite their face"! Please don't take their action to heart Mike!

I have also found this site an excellent resource, including the support of Skipton on any topic

AudiDoody - good for this site ?
I understand you have rules but they do not seem to be for the good of us - the A2 drivers, I was fortunate enough to see the links that Mike posted and they are very informative and comprehensive. Just because he offers an alternative forum does not make him your enemy and you should not see it to be your role to censor this, we are adults and can view links for what they are. The A2OC are enthusiastic and helpful and I think they bring benefits to this A2 forum which without their input would mean rather than use here and there if forced to chose I would just go there, this would be a pity.
Without Mike and his knowledge you A2 readers will be worse off when you yourselves as moderators make statements like "Have you considered a part exchange? Have you wondered why the A2 had such a short production run? I'm not a fan!" that is very constructive and helpful to the Lynne.

Are we the A2 owners that visit here happy with Audidoody or not ?
Do we see the A2OC as a threat to here or not ?
Should the moderators here support A2's or not ?

I posted the above on the audi forum within the A2 section to try and see what the general opinion of A2 owners was towards what Mike had been doing, I appreciate it is slightly contentious but it did ask for opinions from A2 owners on that forum, the moderators have decided not to allow anybody to have an opinion on the subject and removed the thread.
I suppose I expected it but it does show how the moderators react on that site.
Emm - I do not agree with what you say but respect your right to say it and I am sure had you made such critism of a moderator on the Audi forum it would no longer be there for others to read and comment on.

My critisism (full of themselves) was not directed at Skipton, although my discussion was, and with that I disagree with the approach and comments regarding another forum and the posts that followed. The thought of members coming out and posting support or going onto another forum to post regarding the matter is a little wierd though...

Makes me sad to read all post except the first two (sorry, did not read them all yet, but the first 6-7. Edit: read them all now).

Calm down in this, people.
Hey Mike,

I don't think Audi Forums are doing themselves any favours by banning you - who's going to answer everyone's A2 questions on there now! Besides which, how does this help fellow A2 owners? Surely forums only exist to serve their communities, rather than their owner's interests.

Between us and our friends over at http://www.a2-freun.de I think we've got the source of friendly A2 information firmly covered.

On the plus side, this means we've got more of your valuable time and knowledge to help out the A2 community here! ;)

B
Excellent Ben, I fully agree.
...But suggesting that they come over to another forum is going to kick off. There are several forums out there that i have seen A2OC people trying to promote on and i always think its a little off. They are trying to build communities as well, and then you get a post of "Hi why not come over here to A2OC" not really on IMO.

2 pence
We have/had exactly the same problem in Germany. Since there is the commercial forum motor-talk with its A2 forum: http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/audi-a2-b159.html
They don't allow general links like www.a2-freund.de there but they allow helping direct links to specific threads (deep-links).
Since years, esp. last 12 months or so you will find lots of links to our A2forum a2-freun.de were the really best knowledge can be found (that was advertisment also :D )
Simply, because we have the biggest community in our forum, similar to this forum here, which is the biggest english speaking A2 community.

André

Last edited:
have to agree with Erstens, however I think with 'audi forums' being very much a commercially focused site I guess Mike you should have expected to be 'modded'.

For me when I bought my A2, I searched for A2 sites and found that the only A2 site which had any up to date info and regular contributors was A2OC, other sites (english speaking) were so poor I found this one to be the only professional site frequented by mature individuals looking to help each other and with NO ADVERTS!, so I would guess most A2 owners would migrate towards this site eventually anyway. I also have to say that if it wasn't for this site I don't think I would have bought a second A2.

The big gold badge at the top of the page also says enough for me.

Keep smiling Mike, you know we all value what you continue to provide to the site.

cheers
Glen

have to agree with Erstens, however I think with 'audi forums' being very much a commercially focused site I guess Mike you should have expected to be 'modded'.

For me when I bought my A2, I searched for A2 sites and found that the only A2 site which had any up to date info and regular contributors was A2OC, other sites (english speaking) were so poor I found this one to be the only professional site frequented by mature individuals looking to help each other and with NO ADVERTS!, so I would guess most A2 owners would migrate towards this site eventually anyway. I also have to say that if it wasn't for this site I don't think I would have bought a second A2.

The big gold badge at the top of the page also says enough for me.

Keep smiling Mike, you know we all value what you continue to provide to the site.

cheers
Glen
Thanks Glen - it's nice to know you're appreciated! (although it's not why I do it).

You're right though, most people who do a net search for A2 will come across this place first and I'm really not bothered by what some 'little Hitler' on a sleepy, poorly posted forum does to my access priviledges.

I've been a member over there since 2006 and only pop back once in a blue moon to help out, but on my return this time, it seems there's been a bit of a policy change!

Let's end this thread here shall we? As was said right at the start, together with our German friends at www.a2-freun.de we've got everything covered!

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
when i was looking to buy an A2 this site is what i found gave me best advice as why to buy one,so after buying one i joined this site and it has been full of advice keep up the great work

Cheers Phil

Back