Audi puts A1 in doubt but will revive A2 as an EV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeetesh

Article in Autocar which seems to speculate about not replacing the A1 but rather reviving the A2 as an EV.

My personal view is that the cost of producing EV’s means that they need to push the car up market and sell at a higher price point probably using the internals of the VW ID3. I doubt people would pay £30k+ for an A1 so rebrand as an A2 would potentially make it more acceptable. Personally I’d rather electrify an original A2 when it becomes feasible.

No matter what, it will be a completely different car to the "original" A2 ... Just thinking back to what happened when the Scirocco name took a hiatus for 15 years ...
The press, and I think the public, loved the relaunched Scirroco.
I was unimpressed - simply a Golf coupe. Shame as I liked the original Scirrocco and Corrado as cars with a style and character of their own.

Article in Autocar which seems to speculate about not replacing the A1 but rather reviving the A2 as an EV.

My personal view is that the cost of producing EV’s means that they need to push the car up market and sell at a higher price point probably using the internals of the VW ID3. I doubt people would pay £30k+ for an A1 so rebrand as an A2 would potentially make it more acceptable. Personally I’d rather electrify an original A2 when it becomes feasible.

Interesting. Do they sell enough A1s or is it because they don't make enough profit on them? I'm wondering if possible buyers think it's a Polo in drag?
A new electric A2 will be exciting and they could create both an electric A2 and A3 on fundamentally the same platform.

Interesting. Do they sell enough A1s or is it because they don't make enough profit on them? I'm wondering if possible buyers think it's a Polo in drag?
A new electric A2 will be exciting and they could create both an electric A2 and A3 on fundamentally the same platform.
They sell plenty of cars on that platform so I don’t think that’s the issue. You wouldn’t develop an ICE platform for release in the next 2-3 years only for it to obsolete in 2030. You may as well develop the EV platform.

As far as polo in drag, yes but not really referred to as that any more as most manufacturers do this (economies of scale) and VW has been doing it throughout the VAG group for decades now.

The press, and I think the public, loved the relaunched Scirroco.
I was unimpressed - simply a Golf coupe. Shame as I liked the original Scirrocco and Corrado as cars with a style and character of their own.

Exactly my point, yes it's a scirocco in name only. It did however bring with it the benefit of increasing the prices of Mk1 & Mk2 scirocco

I thought the newer scirocco looked great. And the older scirocco as well. Jack Parlabane amongst its famous owners

I’m disappointed that Audi seem to be following Tesla’s lead and starting their EVs at the top, luxury end with a view to introduce affordable models later on. It makes fantastic sense and is a great business strategy and lower risk but... disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting quote from Marc Lichte (Audi Head of Design) in a parallel Autocar article about the Etron GT regarding design icons within the Audi portfolio - suggesting that there are people within the organisation who do understand the A2 (and therefore makes me wonder whether the mooted Electric A2 will be considered another jewel in the crown that they have chucked everything into in the new one in the same way as Piech had them do the first one). Surprised in some ways that the three examples chosen are all within a mid 90s / mid 00s 10 year window - there have been others since the 60s (original 100 Coupe, C3 100, Ur-quattro, Quattro Spyder Concept etc.) but I guess he is talking about the modern implementation of Vorsprung durch Technik.

Marc Lichte (Head of Design): “True design icons have something unmistakeably clear. Over Audi’s history, certain models have shaped ‘Vorsprung durch Technik’ in special ways. The Audi A2 represented ruthless efficiency. The Audi TT stood for formalistic design; the Audi R8 for uncompromising performance. The question with the e-tron GT is not whether it is a design icon, but how it reinterprets ‘Vorsprung durch Technik’. You cannot create a design icon on the drawing board. A car must acquire its reputation on the road.”

Scirocco and Corado were Golf with different body as well...

Nearly right, the Mk1 Golf was a Scirocco with a different body, but we're not picking nits ;)

My view was that the Mk3 didn't have the "feel" of the original(s), especially the rawness. Similar to the Mk3/Mk4 Golf GTis - just a bit too stodgy, especially the Mk3 Scirocco with Diesel engine ... Just my humble opinion of course, others will disagree and that is their right ;)

I suspect they'll sadly trade on the A2 name. "hey remember that quirky, clever car we did called the A2? Well here's a clever EV called the A2, it's based on the MEB platform every other EV in the VW family is, but honestly, it's very clever"

Perhaps they'll have a crack at repackaging the components as EV's dont need to follow rules like engine intakes, exhausts, and such. Just where you put the batteries, motor and use cables to join them. But you're already getting marketing bumph on the ID.3 saying it's got Passat space inside for Golf sized space outside.

Given the price premium of Audis I'd have thought the 'ID.1' or 'ID.2' equivalent might be launched on the Audi badge first and then price wise head downwards through the other brands.

The problem with the A1 as an EV is size; it will be too limited in range. With current battery technology, longer range means a larger car.

RAB

You think so? EV's don't have coolant, radiators, radiator fans?

RAB
yeah, but no where near as much heat to deal with. So much energy in an ICE is lost through heat and noise. More accurately you're looking to keep the batteries in a sweet spot for dis/charging. Maybe a bit of cooling for the motors too, but it's all easier to package and or you're plumbing cooling across the length of the car so can plumb elements in, rather than them having to be near the engine.

A big chunk of EVs coming out are on a shared platform with an ICE, but don't need to be. I was watching Fully Charged series on vans and you see them stuff the gubbins in the same place as the ICE stuff, but then you look at Rivian and Arrival vans that just utilise a skateboard platform so you can literally stick a box on the top for maximum utilisation of the vehicle's footprint.

The vivaro boasts a through port under the passenger seat for extra long items, but why can you not transport stuff as long as the bumper to bumper length allows? (regulations aside)

I suppose my point is that, and what I hope happens, is we get a more interesting period of vehicle design where the rules have changed and companies 'try stuff'.

Arguably the A2 was Audi trying stuff. So hopefully they'll do it again.

It's like when they relaunched the mini, it wasn't mini, it wasn't solving getting four people around as cheaply and easily as possible and creating more space by mounting the engine and gearbox innovatively. It was just modern car layout and gubbins with mini styling.

The problem with the A1 as an EV is size; it will be too limited in range. With current battery technology, longer range means a larger car.

RAB
my back of some old print outs sketches ( I don't smoke so have no fag packets available :) ) for batteries in an A2 EV conversion, you could shoehorn about 60kWh into an A2 as is, at present. So should be able to handle 250 odd miles in one hop.

That's a long time to go without a charge (coffee) / discharge (pee) cycle break at least.

Back to my point, it would be nice to see Audi do the same again and squeeze 100kWh ish into an A2 EV, maximise aero performance, minimise weight etc. Take the MEB platform and push it to its limits.

my back of some old print outs sketches ( I don't smoke so have no fag packets available :) ) for batteries in an A2 EV conversion, you could shoehorn about 60kWh into an A2 as is, at present. So should be able to handle 250 odd miles in one hop.

For 60kWh to be useful, you would also need liquid battery cooling to enable fast charging. Most/all EV conversions I've seen don't have liquid battery cooling (and very little luggage space). Also how much luggage space would a 60kWh A2 have?

RAB

Would be the same. 8 cells under the rear seats, 8 further cells under the boot space. 8 further cells under the bonnet.

Cooling is the cost with this, getting aluminium plate with cooling channels in. Fast charging is a further challenge.

BMW tried to be innovative with the i3. It is a great car - I have one. But they found that - like Audi with the A2 - innovation sucks out profit.

So they have now taken to electrifying their totally anonymous range of petrol cars - same as most other manufacturers.

My view was that the Mk3 didn't have the "feel" of the original(s), especially the rawness. Similar to the Mk3/Mk4 Golf GTis - just a bit too stodgy, especially the Mk3 Scirocco with Diesel engine ... Just my humble opinion of course, others will disagree and that is their right ;)
But you can say same thing in between the Golf generations. This is how the automotive world evolved in past 40 years. Cars back then was way more mechanical way more involving ;) You can't ecpext almost any brand making whole new chassis without expecting to sell as least few hundreds tousands selled units. And Scirocco (as any other sporty/stylish) is lower number selling car.

TDI in rocco is pure madness. I would say same as diesel roadster. But it is echo from the diesel madness started in 90s. Funny thing is that my colleague from work has diesel rocco?‍♂️

BMW tried to be innovative with the i3. It is a great car - I have one. But they found that - like Audi with the A2 - innovation sucks out profit.

So they have now taken to electrifying their totally anonymous range of petrol cars - same as most other manufacturers.

Hello,

and how many miles does i3 normally do on one charge - plus minus, that is...

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back