Audi Q1 baby SUV revealed

I'm assuming the Q1 is the softroader version of the polo then? With the Q2 being the baby Evoque. But I'm with Dan here - it's just the chasing the flavour of the month style rather than trying to lead it.

But how about a GTi UP? I'd have thought it'd only need ~100 bhp to become interesting.

Andy B

I think the Up GT will have 109bhp (but someone else claims 119) and its the same engine in the Taigun.

J

There is claerly a market for this type of vehicle, witness Juke sales. Do not be taken in by the image, as it says lower down it is what it 'could' look like. However Audi have confirmed there will be an Audi version of the VW Up! by 2015 (Audi quoted in this weeks Autocar) which may or may not be the Q1. Personally I like the Up! and an Audi version will probably be as near to an A2 replacement as we will get unless you consider the forthcoming Q2 as fulfilling that role? I don't as i suspect it will be rather small inside.

Not sure about the Taigun but as my first love was a Fiat Panda the 4x4 might do it for me.

Or on the GT theme how about a (debadged) Panda Arbath

Andy B

Audi should use their "Ultra Lightweight" branding and make an A2L, pretty sure that with new generation diesel engines they could put BMW firmly in their place! L-ION battery powered electric motors should only be used for performance, look at the weight of the i3. Okay so A2L is fairly forced but A3L didn't make sense :p
The only issue is that I'm not a fan of Audi's current design, I love the look of the A2 and that would be lost...
An updated cabin, new suspension and a new diesel would be amazing -- and aluminium is used so much now the inherent costs are reduced dramatically. Looks at Q1 concept, sighs.

P.S, I like the i3 but 100 miles range is impractical for that car, in a VW up! it's fine.

And Audi have backtracked on an earlier statement suggesting there would be an Audi version of the Up! Unless the Beemer i3 is a roaring success (very debatable in my view) I think we can say goodbye to a new A2 anytime soon. The new Tyke version of the Up! (think about it......) gets a good write up by Autocar.

The new Tyke version of the Up! (think about it......)

I find it hard to believe that VW didn't research E-Up! and it's connotations in the country of Yorkshire. It's probably as bad a **** up as when Toyota released the MR2 in France, where it quickly became a laughing stock as the name when spoken, is the French for sh1t ("emme, air, deux").

I can see the i3 being a sales success, or at least a lease success at that price - £25k after subsidy and hand it back after 2 or 3 years.

Don't forget that car manufacturers have in the past got names completely wrong - Vauxhall (Opel) tried to sell the Nova to the Portugese, which in the local language meant "doesn't go" , Toyota MR2 to the French means "merde" which as you know in English is the word for number 2s, and the Mitsubishi Pajero to the Spanish means "man who enjoys pleasuring himself", so I think "e-up" is a relatively minor naming oversight!

I'm keen on the i3 myself, trying to sort out a test drive at the moment in fact.

Hence Citroen re configured their Turbo Diesel BX model name from TRD to DTR for the UK market..... As you say Mike, I can see the i3 being a lease success to companies who want to make a 'statement' and those individuals who knit bicycles for a hobby but I still cannot see significant EV sales in this country inspite of the govt saying we should be buying 1.7m EV's annually within 6 and a bit years to save the planet..... on which particular planet do those guys live!? There is a good article in todays Yorks Post which sets a realistic tone to the whole EV eco/environmental discussion pointing out on a whole life basis they are actually more polluting than conventional cars. However that is in itself a whole new topic/debate/argument!

I am considering the lease option for the i3 for my company - at the moment the sums don't quite add up but I can see how they would quite easily if my company were a little bigger and I did a few more miles a year. Would take massive pressure off my poor little A2 that's for sure, and I could charge it up for free at home at the weekends on my solar panels :)
By all accounts the i3 is a hoot to drive, and I really like the ultra-modern interior. Makes me so sad that Audi binned the Mk2 A2 - if you took away the gimmicky side-bar lights, that was a cool car, even if they dropped a standard diesel into it it would have been good.

Back