Awful sound

K

kauto star

hey people!

well got my rear speakers wired but the sound coming out of them don't sound as good as the front ones. went to get some speakers put in there and found out i already had some in there, so got them wired thinking they would sound just as good as the original front ones.
They really dont, can barely hear anything until i use head unit to fade to the rear.
My mate says something about needing an amp, is this true?
and has anyone else has kinda like had the same set up and upgraded?

also if i do need to end up chaging them cos they may just be rubbish, could someone pls reccommend some descent speakers to me.

Cheers Guys!

Which radio was in your vehicle? And what year is it?

I belive that Symphonys and later Choruss have the smaller amp as standard (look under the driver's footwell on RHD cars - passenger footwell on LHD to see if the smaller amp is there). I seem to recall that this is wired in to one pair of speakers.

Ben

The rear speakers are usually 'active' - they have their own small power amp. This is probably what Ben is mentioning. The rear speakers were an extra!

Attached are block diagrams for each type of radio. (Images are © Audi AG)

I was mistaken about the Symphonys and later Choruss - it's the fancy aerial amp that is provided with these configurations (see the last diagram).

The rear speakers are numbered 5 & 6 in the 2 middle diagrams, and 9 & 10 in the last one. By the sounds of it, you had the chorus setup shown in the first diagram. As a result - you probably won't have the smaller amp (numbered 7 & 11 in the last two diagrams respectively).

Hi
From this and previous posts it qppears that cars fitted with the Chorus unit had a 40w amp powering the front speakers only. Rear speakers were installed but not connected unless you specified the 'full' system when an extra 40w amp was mounted in the front footwell.

Cheers Spike

yeah guys i had a chorus tape player before, is it better to keep the amp i already have or get a better one that can power all off them?
and also what do u guys think of the original speakers that came with the car?
did u change them or keep them? does anybody know what brand they are? pls

if anybody else can can give me an example of their setup that would be really cool as well.

cheers

Hi,

I'm pretty happy with the standard setup + speakers (I have the symphony with regular amp powering the rears). I might get a bose amp at some stage and a neatly integrated sub in the rear. Not sure the spec of the speakers - and don't fancy opening up my doors to find out (sorry).

If you need pinouts for any of the connectors to enable you to wire up another amp, let me know.

Ben

Back