Bag Of Nails Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiona

United-Kingdom
Has anyone experienced noise in the car which sounds like a bag of nails? Never understood that phrase until I was out the other night. The car was hot as I had just dashed up the M3, then got stuck in a bit of traffic. I started to hear an odd loud noise that I couldn't pin point. No, not the Audi Moo, more like the cow was rattling trying to get out! Was like this constantly for a few miles, I stopped for about an hour, then set off again and the noise was still there. After about 2 miles the noise just stopped! Car seemed to drive OK. Any ideas chaps?

Also occasionally get another odd type of rattle that sounds exactly like when the window linkage fell off in the door of my Astra!

Fi

2002 TDi Sport Cobalt Blue, winter pack, leather, rew

Was the noise when you were moving or stopped?
Any general direction from where the noise came?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Moving and stopped and seemed to be coming from under the dash, drivers side. But you know how difficult it is to locate a noise, remember the squeaky earing advert?. I got out and shut the door and there was no noise from outside. Wierd huh?

Fi

I think I have the same noise coming from the same area. Mine went away but has returned recently. The noise happens whether the car is hot or cold.

I think it might be the tools come loose in the tray that holds jack, screwdriver etc etc under the drivers mat. Try and relocate all the items and it might go away. I must check this myself at the weekend.

Anyone else any ideas ??

Let me know your findings.
Also whereabouts on the M3 do you reside, as i live off the M27

03 A2 1.4 TDI Sport (75), Ebony Black, BOSE, and child seat

My loaner had the same noise first thing and then disappeared.
Spooky[2]

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

Sussed.
Ice in the washer inlet rattling on a cold morning.

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

Not mine as my A2 is garaged.

03 A2 1.4 TDI Sport (75), Ebony Black, BOSE, and child seat

Hey Widdy,

Nothing loose inside, maybe there is a small apprentice mechanic left under the bonnet after the service in August.......

Hasn't happened since, maybe I shouldn't go to Wokingham anymore. And by the way, I work in Aldershot,

Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back