Battery died now rapidly flashing indicators

wooffer

OK,
during the recent cold spell the indicators on my petrol 1.4 started rapidly flashing. There was no way of stopping this. The battery charge indicator light had previously shown briefly.

As the car stands idle during the week, and the battery was the original from new I wasn't overly surprised about the charge levels (My father's battery in a little vauxhall died at Christmas)

I have now replaced the battery and run the engine for about half an hour, finally driving around for about 20 minutes. The indicators have started flashing again. I have subsequently disconnected the battery.

Questions: Do the indicators warn of low battery level? Is there likely to be an alternator problem? Why doesn't the user manual explain what to do about the central locking which has now also stopped working.

Also, took ages to find the emergency release switch for the tailgate - manual was in the boot!!!

Assistance gratefully received!

The indicators do not warn of impending battery failure, but they might be affected by a faulty central convenience unit.

The central locking should still work by using the key in the door and you will need to re-sync the key, as you must after every time the battery is disconnected. Do a forum search for key sync and away you go.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike,
I am suspecting the key battery for the central locking but will check out the forum posts as well.

Regards
Adam

If your central locking is working again with a re-sync. The indicators were probably affected by a faulty flasher unit. To replace, see here http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3637&highlight=flasher+unit

it is probably easiest to put a voltmeter across the battery to see if it is dead. Lower than 13V is a warning, I replaced mine when it was close to 12.1V and not accepting charging. When car is idle, voltage should be about ~13.8V across the terminals provided your alternator is fine.

Thanks Humps - have already replaced the battery as I figured it needed it.

question now is whether to go for Flasher unit or CCU - have just been quoted 223 quid by Watford Audi for the latter!!!

Any advice on cheaper sources of parts also appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

So that I can try and understand this, are you saying that your indicators were flashing rapidly with the ignition turned off and the idicator stalk not activated?

If so, this sounds more like a convenience controller fault, but the cheaper way to find out is to replace the flasher relay - at £25 or so, it's about 90% cheaper!"!

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,
This is exactly what is happening - I am planning to replace the flasher unit ASAP, as soon as I can get to a parts store during the week (do you know any in Central London around Faringdon / Kings Cross?) I figure there is no harm in doing this, will enhance the car's future reliability at low cost and at least narrow down the issue.

Thanks for you help,
Adam

Dunno near King's Cross (I used to live near there :) ), but I went to Finchley Road Audi and they had the indicator relay / flasher unit in stock! Give them a buzz, it was about £25 and worth it as a test before splashing out for a new CCU.

Thanks Humps - have already phoned them and will pick up tomorrow morning on the way to work given they open at 08.00am - am Harrow based too so very handy.

will let you know how it goes

Thanks
Adam

OK,
attempted the new hazard relay last night - must have massive hands as I took most of my skin off doing it. the cable tie mentioned posed a bit of a problem, but finally managed to release the unit.

Replaced it with the new relay unit and...the indicators went haywire - looks like something is shorting somewhere. It sounds like the relay unit, but that might simply be a symmptoom of something else.

Basically there is a random intermittent flashing going on, unaffed by indicator or hazard buttons. The relay is in the right way round, so don't understand what's going on. This was 10.00pm last night in the pitch black so will take another look at it on the weekend.

Any thoughts?
Wooffer

Back