Best Route to Rinner in Bad Tolz

Nigel245

A2OC Donor
Hi,
Like so many A2 owners on here I have a non-opening sky roof and am currently planning a trip to Bad Tolz to visit Autohaus Rinner at the end of May.
If you guys who have already been which would you say is the best route to take once in France/Dunkirk/Calais. I've checked maps on google and there seem to be 3 routes to choose from. Not much in distance between them but possibly one is better than the others?
It's going to be an adventure over a considerable distance but am looking forward to the experience.
Any help or tips would be much appreciated.

Nigel:)

Hi,
Like so many A2 owners on here I have a non-opening sky roof and am currently planning a trip to Bad Tolz to visit Autohaus Rinner at the end of May.
If you guys who have already been which would you say is the best route to take once in France/Dunkirk/Calais. I've checked maps on google and there seem to be 3 routes to choose from. Not much in distance between them but possibly one is better than the others?
It's going to be an adventure over a considerable distance but am looking forward to the experience.
Any help or tips would be much appreciated.

HI, I would say hang on a little longer if you can....you might not have to drive to Germany...a couple of us are trying to get them done here in the UK. Are you still within the 10 years?

Hi,
Yes but only up to Sept which is why I got in touch with Rinner. I've already started the process and now need to get travel arrangements sorted. It would be great news if Audi UK do come through. Possibly not in time for me though.

Hi,
Yes but only up to Sept which is why I got in touch with Rinner. I've already started the process and now need to get travel arrangements sorted. It would be great news if Audi UK do come through. Possibly not in time for me though.

Well if I were you I would contact some Audi dealers in the south east and explain your situation....get them to check your car from its VIN number and registration to see if you qualify for the fix or replacement. Mine is booked in for May 3rd so I will pass on any info I can to you after that. Germany is a lovely trip but it's gonna cost you a fair amount...however if that's what you want to do then I hope all goes well and you have a good trip.

Hi Nigel,

I took route one. The tolls aren't expensive and the roads are good...you shouldn't run into blizzards at this time of year which means you'll be able to see the old pits at Reims :cool:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...00537&sspn=5.388261,14.227295&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=7

I stayed here, it's in walking distance of Rinner and on a tourist walk shown in the guides in the foyer.

It's doable in day from Kent, even when French customs in Dover hold you up for a long time and make you miss your first ferry :(

It's worth looking into a toll card/tag as well so you can drive straight through the automatic tolls :cool:

Something like http://www.road-tolls.co.uk/ I think, I have to look into it more myself.

I'm a little further up in Kent, near Bluewater and did the trip in a day including missing a ferry, very heavy snow to slow things down to 50kmh on the toll autoroute from Calais and delivering an interior in Germany. A long day therefore but with the correct ferry and no snow it wouldn't have been too bad :)

Hi Nuttinnew,
Thanks for that. I see the difference between the routes in terms of mileage is minimal and I think Route 1 would have been my preference too. I had heard on here some mention to go through Luxemburg? But can't remember why.

Sounds as though your trip wasn't so straight forward with the snow and customs etc?

I didn't realize its also half term so not the best time for cheap crossings to France.
But overall I assume you felt the trip was worthwhile as I did consider just living with just a glass roof but the recent sunny weather prompted me to re-think it.

Fuel prices in Luxembourg are somewhat cheaper, so a mild detour via there for a full tank fill-up (press the pressure release valve for extra litres!) can save you a few quid.

Fuel prices in Luxembourg are somewhat cheaper, so a mild detour via there for a full tank fill-up (press the pressure release valve for extra litres!) can save you a few quid.

From Dunkerque, I went via Brussels, past Namur and into Luxembourg. It's about 13 miles longer than the shortest route, if I remember correctly, but I saved a fair amount of money by making sure I could buy as much fuel there as possible. It's a route totally free of tolls, too.
Dan... what's the pressure release valve? Where do I press this?

Cheers,

Tom

If you look in the neck of the fuel filler, on the right hand side about 1cm down from the lip is a little lever - if you press and hold this down for a few seconds after the pump has hit the shut-off for the first time, it releases enough vapour pressure to enable you to pump about 1 extra litre until shut-off. Do it again and you'll probably squeeze another 1 litre in.

Probably best not to do that at the height of summer, but if you want to brim the tank as much as possible for a long run, that's the way to do it. You'll find it's possible to get more than 42 litres in the tank by doing that...

If you look in the neck of the fuel filler, on the right hand side about 1cm down from the lip is a little lever - if you press and hold this down for a few seconds after the pump has hit the shut-off for the first time, it releases enough vapour pressure to enable you to pump about 1 extra litre until shut-off. Do it again and you'll probably squeeze another 1 litre in.

Probably best not to do that at the height of summer, but if you want to brim the tank as much as possible for a long run, that's the way to do it. You'll find it's possible to get more than 42 litres in the tank by doing that...

Ah, that's what does it! Thanks, Dan.
I had discovered that if I replaced the fuel cap I could then take it off and add another litre. If I then replaced the cap and took it off again, I could add another litre.
So, I have been managing to squeeze all the fuel I can get in there, but my method was a little awkward... and more than once has irritated the person behind me in the queue at the pumps!

Cheers

Tom

Back