BIG Electrical problems help please

STEP

Hello all,
I mounted on saturday a xenon kit 4300k aftermarket, I put the ballast directly inside the headlights so i had not to hole the headlights.

At the beginning the left xenon was flickering but after an hour it was ok.
Saturday evening all ok.

On Sunday evening I went to the sea and in the evening I had a trip of an hour with xenon on.

suddenly the left xenon went off and the entire left side of my car went off too.
My left window went off, my left xenon went off, the left direction indicators went off.
The left parking light is ok and the left high light (beam) is ok too...
I check the fuse and all is ok. The right side including xenon is ok.
What can I do?

The reason why the ballast's are mounted outside are because they get hot! I would remove the headlights and give them a full thorough inspection. Then refit the ballasts outside the headlights.

You will need to inspect the wiring to and from the headlights as well, they may have melted in which case you will need to rewire the bad bits.

Check all fuses and let us know.

Cheers
Sarge

The reason why the ballast's are mounted outside are because they get hot! I would remove the headlights and give them a full thorough inspection. Then refit the ballasts outside the headlights.

You will need to inspect the wiring to and from the headlights as well, they may have melted in which case you will need to rewire the bad bits.

Check all fuses and let us know.

Cheers
Sarge

Thank you Sarge!
I read that the new ballast shoud be warm but not hot so I mount them inside, but I would like to test it.
I don't understand how is it possible that the windows is off too?
And why not the parking light?
How Is it connected to the headlight?

Thank you Sarge!
I read that the new ballast shoud be warm but not hot so I mount them inside, but I would like to test it.
I don't understand how is it possible that the windows is off too?
And why not the parking light?
How Is it connected to the headlight?

Yes but when you put the ballasts into a sealed unit (the headlight) then have the heat from the bulbs too this must then make them excessively hot.

Did you check the fuses?

Cheers
Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but when you put the ballasts into a sealed unit (the headlight) then have the heat from the bulbs too this must make then excessively hot.

Did you check the fuses?

Cheers
Sarge

Yes I check all the fuses and seems ok!
I tought that the fuse of the left highlight should protect the car.
I don't understand why the window is off too!

Yes I check all the fuses and seems ok!
I tought that the fuse of the left highlight should protect the car.
I don't understand why the window is off too!

You will need to check all circuits, get a vag com scan done and see what the faults show as.

Cheers
Sarge

Yes, sounds like the ballast could have melted the wiring in the headlight due to the heat.

i would remove the headlight and check for any melted wires as it could possibly start a fire in your car! :eek:

Has the backlight to your hazard switch gone off? If so, this is the cause of your troubled - it's quite possible to have an intermittent fault on fuse 38 without actually tripping the fuse.

I had a similar problem caused by chaffing, but it knocked out the lhs electrics

Cheers

Mike

Has the backlight to your hazard switch gone off? If so, this is the cause of your troubled - it's quite possible to have an intermittent fault on fuse 38 without actually tripping the fuse.

I had a similar problem caused by chaffing, but it knocked out the lhs electrics

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Skipton,
my backlight was ok, but i don't know now I'll check it.
Now I was thinking about the fact when i come to open or close the car by remote control the left indicators sometimes would not switch on, I didn't care about this problem because it happened only occasionally!
Thank for your help

Last edited:
Good morning!
After a night to see the us open final i would like to tell you the last check i made yesterday afternoon!

I check both headlight, no problem with the heat, no melting, no any damage.
I check all the fuse again and inexplicably all now is running ok!
My window works again the left xenon too and all is ok again.

The only thing that won't work are the left indicators but only when i open or close the car by remote control otherwise the left indicators work fine!

I think I have to check the Comfort unit what do you think!

I am very happy but probably there is an intermittent contact in the fuse box...
What can i do? Have I to use vag?

Thank you

Back